Any current Native American students of Michigan State here

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Firewater

Any current Native American students of Michigan State here

Postby Firewater » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:03 pm

How would you describe your experiences there? Their Indian Law program?

EmilySmith3266

Re: Any current Native American students of Michigan State here

Postby EmilySmith3266 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:58 am

Hello,

My name is Emily Smith and I am a 3rd year law student at MSU COL. I am a member of Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa and am working toward the Indigenous Law Certificate at the law school. I personally thoroughly enjoy all of the classes and the staff. Matthew Fletcher is the director of the Indigenous Law and Policy Center, and he and the other staff (Wenona Singel and Kate Fort) are not only great professors, but also provide other support for practical experiences, like advocacy skills and obtaining externships. I am also involved in the student group Native American Law Student Association and have made many wonderful friends during my 3 years in it. We not only support each other academically, but socially and professionally as well. We hold many events geared toward academic strengthening, socializing and taking needed breaks during law school, and traveling to visit various local tribal nations and departments.

If you are interested in finding out more information, I strongly encourage you to sign up for this event: http://turtletalk.files.wordpress.com/2 ... us-law.jpg. Registration is due by November 19th. This event is also FREE. I hope you can come and meet the professors and learn more about the program.

Best,
Emily Smith

Firewater

Re: Any current Native American students of Michigan State here

Postby Firewater » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:17 am

EmilySmith3266 wrote:Hello,

My name is Emily Smith and I am a 3rd year law student at MSU COL. I am a member of Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa and am working toward the Indigenous Law Certificate at the law school. I personally thoroughly enjoy all of the classes and the staff. Matthew Fletcher is the director of the Indigenous Law and Policy Center, and he and the other staff (Wenona Singel and Kate Fort) are not only great professors, but also provide other support for practical experiences, like advocacy skills and obtaining externships. I am also involved in the student group Native American Law Student Association and have made many wonderful friends during my 3 years in it. We not only support each other academically, but socially and professionally as well. We hold many events geared toward academic strengthening, socializing and taking needed breaks during law school, and traveling to visit various local tribal nations and departments.

If you are interested in finding out more information, I strongly encourage you to sign up for this event: http://turtletalk.files.wordpress.com/2 ... us-law.jpg. Registration is due by November 19th. This event is also FREE. I hope you can come and meet the professors and learn more about the program.

Best,
Emily Smith

Thanks so much Emily! Unfortunately due to work I won't be able to make that event, although I would have loved to! From what I can gather and what you have told me I believe that MSU has a great Indian Law program, that is competitive with the best programs in the country. I am interested to know how many Native students typically are represented on campus, and how geographically diverse the Native JD candidates are there? Also how welcoming of a city would you rate East Lansing to people of color? Thanks again!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”