How do they classify mixed URMs?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jordan15

How do they classify mixed URMs?

Postby jordan15 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:13 am

I am a mix of MA, NA (in the process of getting official docs), and white. I saw a chart on this site that listed the # and % of races at several top schools and "mixed" was one of the categories. So for one school, they might list 50 MAs, 5 NAs, and 100 mixed. I'm assuming many of the mixed people are URMs like me but since they are mixed, are they not counted as URMs? Would I not get an MA or NA boost because they would have to file me under mixed and not under one of those races?

Has anyone here who is also mixed decided to claim only one ethnicity (and talk it up only in the DS) to make sure you got a solid boost?

twenty

Re: How do they classify mixed URMs?

Postby twenty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 am

Being a "mixed" URM will give you the boost of the higher status. We have had a couple of white/MAs, PR/AAs, and white/AAs that absolutely got the full impact of their URM status.

They don't "cancel eachother out" or anything, if that's your concern.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Just out of curiosity, who gets a bigger URM boost? MAs or NAs?

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Hard to say, but probably official members > MAs > non-enrolled members.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:42 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Hard to say, but probably official members > MAs > non-enrolled members.

This is probably generally true, but there's other things to be aware of.

From what I've seen (and this is all just anecdotal) MAs vary by region. Schools like UCLA or Texas don't seem to give much of a boost to MAs. Schools in the NE seem a bit more generous, both in terms of "boost" and $$ offered. I've heard of MAs getting into places like Northwestern or Penn that got WL'd at UCLA or Texas.

I suspect there are two reasons for this: MA applicants often aim too low, and may try to stay closer to home (there are just more MAs in the S/SW than N/NE). No hard proof on either, it's just a sense that I get.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Thanks for the info guys! Interesting theory Vanwinkle. As an MA geography is one on the primary factors I will be using for choosing a law school. UCLA is definitely at the top of my list due to the proximity from home and I would prbly take it over schools like NW, Cornell, Duke. And I can see how an MA applicant can be more "diverse" in the NE applicant pool than the S/SW pool. Do you think MA applicants aim too low because they want to stay close to home or because they're unaware of the boost they can get?

I think it's some of both. I also think that the both of them put together sometimes combines into a "well, if I won't get into UCLA, I wouldn't get into better schools either" attitude. The problem is that URM admissions aren't linear, and there are circumstances where a lower-ranked school will reject someone but they get into a higher-ranked one. Especially if you think about how many MA applicants would want to go to UCLA, it's not hard to understand why it could sometimes be harder to get into UCLA than a T10 school...

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:43 am

Thanks for the responses! I feel much more comfortable applying now. I'd hate to lose the boost by claiming multiple races but I'd also hate to force myself to pick the biggest boost and potentially raise C&F issues. I've always chosen MA if only given one choice, and MA, NA, and white if given multiple choice. That's how I'll apply and write my DS too.

Re: the MAs staying in the SW. I don't know if MAs are disproportionately hesitant to leave home but as someone from the SW who did UG at a nearby city with a significant different climate and culture, I can say that those two things can impact your life and grades a ton. I developed crazy weather related allergies and ended up skipping a lot of class (and other responsibilities) when it rained...sounds stupid but when you're thrown into a new environment (ie, HS to UG, UG to LS) different weather just stresses you out even more and can really fuck with you. I plan on attending LS in the NE and by far the thing that I'm most worried about is the humid summers and snowy winters.

FWIW, I think a lot of people think top 20 is out of their reach, no matter what. The only people I knew in who got into top 10 UG were truly special. 4.0s and high SATs with good softs like class president usually ended up at UCLA etc. The people who went to Ivies, Chi, & MIT, had crazy ECs like cancer research, published essays, etc., and they all took many college courses on top of an all AP courseload and normal ECs too. I don't think people realize that top law schools are a lot more attainable for the normal high achieving student.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”