AA Male 162 3.77

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
poorblacknstubborn

AA Male 162 3.77

Postby poorblacknstubborn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Hey all. Could anyone shed some light on how feasible it is for me to receive scholarship that is not totally insignificant from the t-14 (including need-based)? You can see from my stats that they're respectable as far as a what is common for AA males. You can tell from my user name that my income (and that of my family) IS quite insignificant. From my user name you might also be able to tell that I have no plan on retaking. Please don't ignore this last bit (or any of the preceding bits, for that matter). Thanks in advance for all y'all's help! And good luck to you all.

MoMettaMonk

Re: AA Male 162 3.77

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:18 pm

http://mylsn.info/v17z50 As usual with LSN there aren't a huge number of data points for AA, but it does give you a general idea of what you can expect. My best advice to you (other than retaking for a couple more points for a great shot at H/S with a buttload of need aid), would be to blanket the t14. I'm not sure if you've applied for the LSAC fee waiver, but if you have it you should only be out about $200 in app fees. Considering the amount of scholarship money you might be able to gain by leveraging offers against each other, it's a pretty solid investment.

Good luck on your cycle.

poorblacknstubborn

Postby poorblacknstubborn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks! Can anyone testify to how common scholarships are in the T-14? I don't expect to go to law school for free and I'm willing to put in the hard work to make this a worthwhile investment. That being said going $200,000 into debt is something that I'm not willing to do. How possible is it for someone with my stats to accrue $60,000 in debt or less? I know this is a difficult question, but can anyone (either with personal experience or via third party testimony) help me out?

Thanks!

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:29 pm

The fuck, bro.

A 3-point increase on the LSAT means the difference between going to a t14 at sticker, and a t14 on a full ride/lock at Harvard. You will get to go to law school for free if you do slightly better on the LSAT. The time investment here is (at most) a few months of studying in exchange for several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Scholarships are very common for the T14, entirely contingent on your GPA/LSAT. If you get into HYS and you're as poor as you say you are, you'll get tons of need based aid from those guys too.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:The fuck, bro.

A 3-point increase on the LSAT means the difference between going to a t14 at sticker, and a t14 on a full ride/lock at Harvard. You will get to go to law school for free if you do slightly better on the LSAT. The time investment here is (at most) a few months of studying in exchange for several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Scholarships are very common for the T14, entirely contingent on your GPA/LSAT. If you get into HYS and you're as poor as you say you are, you'll get tons of need based aid from those guys too.

This is all true, and to be honest, yes you should definitely study for December, increase 3+ points and enjoy the t14 throwing money at you. If you don't you're probably looking at admittances at least at one of the t6 and probably money at one of the lower t14 (assuming no glaring problems with your app), but again improving on your LSAT by a few points (and most people do improve at least a few points) can mean tens of thousands of dollars in extra scholarship money.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:32 am

twentypercentmore wrote:The fuck, bro.

This man speaks the truth. Getting 3 extra LSAT points will dramatically change your cycle.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”