AA Female Splitter Advice/Chance

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lawschool_hopeful

AA Female Splitter Advice/Chance

Postby lawschool_hopeful » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm an AA Female with a 3.0 GPA from a top private school. I'm taking the October LSAT and I'm currently scoring in the 165-168 range. Initially I was set on applying ED at Georgetown ( assuming this would be my best shot at getting in at a T14). I've been hearing from others that I shouldn't apply ED. What are your thoughts? Can I get in at other T14s without ED? Also, Is NYU or Penn a reality if I applied ED?
Last edited by lawschool_hopeful on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: AA Female Splitter Advice/Chance

Postby Nova » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Depends on your lsat

If I were you I wouldn't ED. You have a good chance of getting into the t14 without it. Sticker is really scary.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:36 pm

lawschool_hopeful wrote:I'm an AA Female with a 3.0 GPA from a top private school. I'm taking the October LSAT and I'm currently scoring in the 165-168 range. Initially I was set on applying ED at Georgetown ( assuming this would be my best shot at getting in at a T14). I've been hearing from others that I shouldn't apply ED. What are your thoughts? Can I get in at other T14s without ED? Also, Is NYU or Penn a reality if I applied ED?

You should probably apply to everything from Columbia on down. The performance of low GPA/high LSAT splitters is pretty sporadic, you can't be certain who will accept you, who will offer $$$, and who will WL or reject you.

Very few AA females get 165+ LSAT scores, so if you actually score that high you should definitely apply to all of the above schools. None of this matters until we know your actual score, but if you score at least that high, you have better chances than you think.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Ugh, at the risk of sounding like a moron, what is "ED"?

AfricanGal

Postby AfricanGal » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:18 pm

mehiguess wrote:Ugh, at the risk of sounding like a moron, what is "ED"?

Early Decision.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Early Decision.

Typically its a binding agreement that if you are accepted to the school you must attend there or sit out the cycle. Since if the school accepts you you have to attend, the school has all the bargaining power and likely wont give you a scholarship. Typically applicants who ED have borderline stats and are willing to pay full tuition. Typically you need to be at or above one median to have a decent shot at ED, cause the school has very little incentive to lock up a seat with someone under both medians (for the sake of USNWR).

Two notable exceptions are NU and GW. They give full rides to their applicants who are accepted ED. So to be competitive for those schools ED programs you typically need to be above both medians.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 am

Nova wrote:Early Decision.

Typically its a binding agreement that if you are accepted to the school you must attend there or sit out the cycle. Since if the school accepts you you have to attend, the school has all the bargaining power and likely wont give you a scholarship. Typically applicants who ED have borderline stats and are willing to pay full tuition. Typically you need to be at or above one median to have a decent shot at ED, cause the school has very little incentive to lock up a seat with someone under both medians (for the sake of USNWR).

Two notable exceptions are NU and GW. They give full rides to their applicants who are accepted ED. So to be competitive for those schools ED programs you typically need to be above both medians.

Thanks for that. :-)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”