JD/MBA

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

JD/MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:20 am

Hello,

i'm curious if i'm not certain on Law or Business is a JD/MBA the right degree to pursue. I have read a few of these programs and they have a setup were students can do a business internship one summer & a law another summer which seems great to get a feel for both. My question does anyone know how helpful a JD/MBA will be in placement. My other considerations if i don't get a job offer would be 1 Year master's programs or staying at my school to pickup a minor to recruit another semester. There is a huge opportunity cost with a JD/MBA so i'm thinking it may be better do it at a younger age to leverage better jobs. If i do a JD/MBA i plan to start after Undergrad or a year after to Undergrad. I am interested in Corporate Law & Patent Law. On the Business side i'm interested in finance. I would love get everyone opinions on the issue and how they decided on picking a career path.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby twenty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 am

ChasingGoals wrote:i'm curious if i'm not certain on Law or Business is a JD/MBA the right degree to pursue.


Absolutely not. If you want to practice law, go to a T14 law school. If you want to end up on wall street, do a M7 MBA.

If i do a JD/MBA i plan to start after Undergrad or a year after to Undergrad.


This is a bad idea for several reasons. One, MBAs are undertaken by people with significant work experience -- like, a big part of the application process is your employer's thoughts about your work product. We're not talking grocery store, either. So you're definitely selling yourself short by joining a program that would take you right out of undergrad. Second, the JD/MBA is not a "super degree" that lets you do anything your heart desires. Maybe the MBA gives you a slight boost come law firm hiring time, maybe the JD makes you slightly more marketable to wall street analyst gigs. It's absolutely not worth it for someone coming straight out of undergrad.

ChasingGoals
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

Re: JD/MBA

Postby ChasingGoals » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:54 am

twentypercentmore wrote:
ChasingGoals wrote:i'm curious if i'm not certain on Law or Business is a JD/MBA the right degree to pursue.


Absolutely not. If you want to practice law, go to a T14 law school. If you want to end up on wall street, do a M7 MBA.

If i do a JD/MBA i plan to start after Undergrad or a year after to Undergrad.


This is a bad idea for several reasons. One, MBAs are undertaken by people with significant work experience -- like, a big part of the application process is your employer's thoughts about your work product. We're not talking grocery store, either. So you're definitely selling yourself short by joining a program that would take you right out of undergrad. Second, the JD/MBA is not a "super degree" that lets you do anything your heart desires. Maybe the MBA gives you a slight boost come law firm hiring time, maybe the JD makes you slightly more marketable to wall street analyst gigs. It's absolutely not worth it for someone coming straight out of undergrad.


Thanks for your response if i want to possibly switch careers down the road finance to law or vice verse do you think pursuing JD/MBA would make more sense and the schools i'm considering would be in M7 & T14 Penn,Harvard etc.

ajr
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby ajr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:29 am

On the law side, JD/MBA is useful if you are sure you want to do corporate law. On the business side, JD could be useful for certain areas like business development or even VC work. But the degree comes at a huge cost and you need to figure out whether it is worth it for you.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby twenty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 am

ChasingGoals wrote:Thanks for your response if i want to possibly switch careers down the road finance to law or vice verse do you think pursuing JD/MBA would make more sense and the schools i'm considering would be in M7 & T14 Penn,Harvard etc.


If you wanted to switch careers down the road, do the MBA or JD then. I guess if you're really set on not doing a career for more than a few years (which seems like financially shooting yourself in the foot to be entirely honest with you), doing the JD first, working in biglaw for a bit, and then going for the MBA later makes more sense than vise versa.

The way biglaw hiring and on campus recruiting for business schools happens, it's actually advantageous to someone who wants to switch careers to do so with two separate degrees.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 am

Lets put it this way.... if you can get a JD/MBA from Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Chicago, or Northwestern then by all means do it. These are the best business schools in the country and have T-14 law schools that are top-notch. Getting one from Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, Duke or Cornell may not be worth the cost. But to be fair every single person I know that did JD/MBA at the school I went to did really well whether they went business or law. However, you should definitely get work experience first since the top MBA programs won't touch you without it

willson11
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby willson11 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:12 am

My brother did one-year MBA in international MBA. I think he made right decision as one hand you are better placed to pay off school fees and on other hand you gain valuable industry experience.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby Nova » Sat May 03, 2014 3:14 am

willson11 wrote:My brother did one-year MBA in international MBA. I think he made right decision as one hand you are better placed to pay off school fees and on other hand you gain valuable industry experience.

shill?

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: JD/MBA

Postby Balthy » Sat May 03, 2014 3:19 am

lol thunderbird




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests