October v. December LSAT

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ae10798485

October v. December LSAT

Postby ae10798485 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:32 am

Last edited by ae10798485 on Fri May 02, 2014 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

elterrible78

Re: October v. December LSAT

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:41 am

ae10798485 wrote:I'm wondering whether I should stick with the October LSAT or switch to the December LSAT. I am an AA male at H undergrad.

All of my essays are complete and my recommendations are coming in, so I won't have to worry about writing essays getting LORs in the mean time. I ask this questions because I know the long standing rule of thumb is to apply early, but I play two sports at H and I don't think I'm going to be studying as much as I was doing in the summer months. Also, the LSAT falls on a game day vs holy cross, though the game is about an hour after the lsat lets out. If I switched it to December, it be right before our finals period and also I would have no football and a little break from track too. So I am wondering if I should just wait, take the test in December, get a score and send in the applications then (more time to study, perfect essays, etc.) or should i just take it in October because of the pressure to apply early. I have a 3.35 GPA, low I know, so I have to get a pretty high score on the exam.

Any advantage you would gain by applying earlier would be completely negated by a couple more points (or even one more point) on the LSAT. So if you're confident you'd score higher in December, it's a no-brainer to wait, unless you're already scoring median or above for schools you are interested in (and even then, probably). If you think that you'd just end up doing as well then as you would now (and only you can say how much work you plan to put in between now and then), you'd be better off applying now. This obviously should not be the case, though.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:23 pm

Ugh I'm thinking about just taking the December test as well. I feel I have just received the appropriate materials that are most beneficial to my prep August 1st. So I only have 48 days to solidify everything in my head the proper way. This scares me. The last thing I want to do is not do well or my best. I think I have a fear of taking the LSaT... I think it's smart to leave open the option to retake bc anything can happen that can result in an undesired score.

ae10798485

Postby ae10798485 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:08 am

Last edited by ae10798485 on Fri May 02, 2014 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:09 am

If you have to ask:

December is TCR.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 pm

I'm an AA male and as of yesterday I postponed my test date from October to December. Being early in the cycle will not outweigh gaining even one LSAT point. When it comes down to scholarships and being a moneys game, you'll be glad you waited.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”