IP Program Diversity Statement

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
flat-fifth

IP Program Diversity Statement

Postby flat-fifth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm black. My application says so. My personal statement says so. I would like my DS to give adcomms an idea of my particular interest in intellectual property. How is this for a start? (first draft)

"On any given day, a simple Google search reveals dozens of unauthorized websites that facilitate the illegal download of commercial videos which I have produced and directed along with their accompanying musical soundtracks. I am a victim of internet piracy, but I am not a powerless victim."

twenty

Re: IP Program Diversity Statement

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 am

1) Not really the right forum, but looking past that...
2) I bet you have a really great story to tell. I'd seriously consider switching out your, no offense, but as you put it, "I'm-black" PS to a DS, and make your PS about your interest in intellectual property law.
3) Unless you sent someone to the hospital on account of a warm dish of vigilante justice, I'd avoid the whole, "I'm not a powerless victim" thing. This is just a gut feeling, but it may be worth your while to consult a professional to help you out with your application. If you have a decent LSAT and GPA, something tells me HYS would eat this stuff up provided you have a good statement.

flat-fifth

Postby flat-fifth » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks for your reply. I tend to prefer the perspectives shared in this forum. My PS is very personal and revealing and I've gone through many reviews and edits to get it down to two double-spaced pages. I could never express it in one page. But I'm hoping that I can express something equally as compelling on this topic.

I actually consulted a "professional" who told me that my chances at T14 were slim due to the "quality of my undergrad institution." I posted about it here and all of TLS called BS.

Thanks again.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:55 am

flat-fifth wrote:Thanks for your reply. I tend to prefer the perspectives shared in this forum. My PS is very personal and revealing and I've gone through many reviews and edits to get it down to two double-spaced pages. I could never express it in one page. But I'm hoping that I can express something equally as compelling on this topic.

I actually consulted a "professional" who told me that my chances at T14 were slim due to the "quality of my undergrad institution." I posted about it here and all of TLS called BS.

Thanks again.

Haha, no, I mean a real professional like Spivey or someone. Your pre-law advisor from your undergrad doesn't count. ;)

flat-fifth

Postby flat-fifth » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:08 am

LOL She claims to be a pro. In fact, her website and books call her an "expert."

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”