GLBT on Application

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
BigGuyGoing2LawSkool
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

GLBT on Application

Postby BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:59 am

What affect does this question have on the application? This is for informational purposes only. To me, it seems almost like a ploy to attract GLBT? Because I can't see it having any inherent benefit of, diversity. You can't prove someone is bi-sexual. I just find it fascinating and would be interested to hear your interpretation of the inclusion of this on some schools applications.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby bjsesq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:07 am

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:What affect does this question have on the application? This is for informational purposes only. To me, it seems almost like a ploy to attract GLBT? Because I can't see it having any inherent benefit of, diversity. You can't prove someone is bi-sexual. I just find it fascinating and would be interested to hear your interpretation of the inclusion of this on some schools applications.

You don't see how varied experiences could impact diversity?

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:09 am

bjsesq wrote:
BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:What affect does this question have on the application? This is for informational purposes only. To me, it seems almost like a ploy to attract GLBT? Because I can't see it having any inherent benefit of, diversity. You can't prove someone is bi-sexual. I just find it fascinating and would be interested to hear your interpretation of the inclusion of this on some schools applications.

You don't see how varied experiences could impact diversity?


No, no, I do. Maybe I said it wrong, it is CERTAINLY diverse, but my point is that it seems way too subjective of a question to be asked because human sexuality is not necessarily a finite thing and thus the question to me raises a lot of ambiguity.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby bjsesq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 am

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:What affect does this question have on the application? This is for informational purposes only. To me, it seems almost like a ploy to attract GLBT? Because I can't see it having any inherent benefit of, diversity. You can't prove someone is bi-sexual. I just find it fascinating and would be interested to hear your interpretation of the inclusion of this on some schools applications.

You don't see how varied experiences could impact diversity?


No, no, I do. Maybe I said it wrong, it is CERTAINLY diverse, but my point is that it seems way to subjective of a question to be asked because human sexuality is not necessarily a finite thing and thus the question to me raises a lot of ambiguity.


The impression I got was that you were concerned people could lie about it. Not sure why possible dishonesty should prevent a law school from asking the question. It's also a pretty big stretch to assume that the finite point of heterosexuality is not, far and away, the majority. Degrees of variation away from this are, by definition, diverse.

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 am

I can agree with you there. And yes I concur that the possibility of lying should not be something that should allow the question to be abandoned, I just thought that.. what if someone doesn't know, is unsure, has deeply repressed feelings of homosexuality that they've tucked away. Being able to be open or accept your sexuality and actually behaving/acting/conforming to the rules of a particular sexuality are two entirely different things.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby bjsesq » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 am

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:I can agree with you there. And yes I concur that the possibility of lying should not be something that should allow the question to be abandoned, I just thought that.. what if someone doesn't know, is unsure, has deeply repressed feelings of homosexuality that they've tucked away. Being able to be open or accept your sexuality and actually behaving/acting/conforming to the rules of a particular sexuality are two entirely different things.


It's a case on the margins, but it could happen. I suspect the person would just need to look at their situation and figure out whether marking lgbt is appropriate. This isn't an institutional issue, imo, but a personal one.

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:33 am

bjsesq wrote:
BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:I can agree with you there. And yes I concur that the possibility of lying should not be something that should allow the question to be abandoned, I just thought that.. what if someone doesn't know, is unsure, has deeply repressed feelings of homosexuality that they've tucked away. Being able to be open or accept your sexuality and actually behaving/acting/conforming to the rules of a particular sexuality are two entirely different things.


It's a case on the margins, but it could happen. I suspect the person would just need to look at their situation and figure out whether marking lgbt is appropriate. This isn't an institutional issue, imo, but a personal one.


Valid point.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby twenty » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:55 am

The short version is, it's not going to affect your cycle enough to bother lying about your sexual orientation.

Plus. Man. That's some messed up shit.

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 am

What is some messed up shit? And I don't want to divulge personally, I just could SEE certain applicants struggling with this question... And I hope you are not accusing me of inquiring in order to do that. Or else we are going to have some serious problems. LOL. Just joking.

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:01 am

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:What affect does this question have on the application? This is for informational purposes only. To me, it seems almost like a ploy to attract GLBT? Because I can't see it having any inherent benefit of, diversity. You can't prove someone is bi-sexual. I just find it fascinating and would be interested to hear your interpretation of the inclusion of this on some schools applications.


"A ploy to attract GLBT"? Our agenda would definitely be working, then! Success.
Sidenote: Just like you can't prove someone is bisexual, you're going to have a hard time having me prove that I'm not native american if I check that box, other than what you can see in an outward appearance. And more importantly, I don't think any school is going to make you prove anything along those lines--it's more of a "how do you identify" question. I don't see how being GLBT is different than any other diversity metric-seems pretty person-centered and how that particular person identifies. In all fairness, I tried to give your posting the benefit of the doubt, but your comments were so tangential it made me wonder what your angle is, and why this matters to you?

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 am

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:I can agree with you there. And yes I concur that the possibility of lying should not be something that should allow the question to be abandoned, I just thought that.. what if someone doesn't know, is unsure, has deeply repressed feelings of homosexuality that they've tucked away. Being able to be open or accept your sexuality and actually behaving/acting/conforming to the rules of a particular sexuality are two entirely different things.


Okay, but what does this have to do with your original question?

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:19 am

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger: You mean, like, flaming, or...

Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.

Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.

John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?


Image

User avatar
John Winger
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Re: GLBT on Application

Postby John Winger » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:21 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger: You mean, like, flaming, or...

Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.

Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.

John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?



This.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest