Chances at NYU

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Chances at NYU

Postby Quan292 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Applied 2 cycles ago out of undergrad and was waitlisted. Now after 2 years work experience (tfa) i'm giving it another shot. Applied late in my cycle (complete mid February). Planning on w/e and an earlier app being the difference maker.

Stats: 3.4 gpa 162 lsat

Edit: AA Male
Last edited by Quan292 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:31 pm

It should be noted that you're an AA male

Have you considered retaking?

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Quan292 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Nova wrote:It should be noted that you're an AA male

Have you considered retaking?



I am considering it. I took it twice already 159/162 and my practice test was around that score. Back in undergrad I had a good amount of time on my hands to study for the test and I won't have the same teaching.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Quan292 wrote:
Nova wrote:It should be noted that you're an AA male

Have you considered retaking?



I am considering it. I took it twice already 159/162 and my practice test was around that score. Back in undergrad I had a good amount of time on my hands to study for the test and I won't have the same teaching.


You should absolutely retake and aim for 165+:

Image

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 pm

unless you retake, your chances are the same basically. 2 yrs W/E aren't enough to make you go from WL to accept

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 am

First, retake. And retake well. A 3.4 puts you in the running for Columbia and mayyyybe Harvard with a good enough LSAT. Certainly lots of money at NYU.

Secondly, while the work experience probably won't help you much, a huge decrease in applicants (compared to two years ago) will.

Xixak
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Xixak » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
Quan292 wrote:
Nova wrote:It should be noted that you're an AA male

Have you considered retaking?



I am considering it. I took it twice already 159/162 and my practice test was around that score. Back in undergrad I had a good amount of time on my hands to study for the test and I won't have the same teaching.


You should absolutely retake and aim for 165+:

[img]http://myLSN.info/an0m2q_6-6.jpg[img]


OP is probably a lock.

The one girl who got rejected waited too long to send in her applications (January).

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Quan292 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Looks like I gotta step up and retake the lsat.

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Quan292 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:First, retake. And retake well. A 3.4 puts you in the running for Columbia and mayyyybe Harvard with a good enough LSAT. Certainly lots of money at NYU.

Secondly, while the work experience probably won't help you much, a huge decrease in applicants (compared to two years ago) will.


What about an earlier app (from february to november) increasing my chances of getting in. Any affect? What about chances for AnBryce scholarships?

Also not really interested in schools outside NY and I cant stand Columbia (personal reasons) so NYU is pretty much the top of my sights right now.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Typhoon24 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Quan292 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:First, retake. And retake well. A 3.4 puts you in the running for Columbia and mayyyybe Harvard with a good enough LSAT. Certainly lots of money at NYU.

Secondly, while the work experience probably won't help you much, a huge decrease in applicants (compared to two years ago) will.


What about an earlier app (from february to november) increasing my chances of getting in. Any affect? What about chances for AnBryce scholarships?

Also not really interested in schools outside NY and I cant stand Columbia (personal reasons) so NYU is pretty much the top of my sights right now.


while NYU is really legit, don't let personal reasons keep you from considering columbia. hopefully by that you mean that instead of it being your #1 choice that it's now your #2 choice.

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Quan292 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:First, retake. And retake well. A 3.4 puts you in the running for Columbia and mayyyybe Harvard with a good enough LSAT. Certainly lots of money at NYU.

Secondly, while the work experience probably won't help you much, a huge decrease in applicants (compared to two years ago) will.


What about an earlier app (from february to november) increasing my chances of getting in. Any affect? What about chances for AnBryce scholarships?

Also not really interested in schools outside NY and I cant stand Columbia (personal reasons) so NYU is pretty much the top of my sights right now.


while NYU is really legit, don't let personal reasons keep you from considering columbia. hopefully by that you mean that instead of it being your #1 choice that it's now your #2 choice.


Oh yea definitely. If given the chance I will be in morningside in a heartbeat.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby DaRascal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:31 pm

If I were in your shoes, I would ED to NYU (but only if you retake in October and don't go up a few points). Can you live at home if you get in?

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby californiauser » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm

DaRascal wrote:If I were in your shoes, I would ED to NYU (but only if you retake in October and don't go up a few points). Can you live at home if you get in?


Seems risky. Op could get 100k+ from Cornell. Is NYU worth 100k+ more than NYU?

100k is serious, serious money.

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: Chances at NYU

Postby Quan292 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:07 pm

DaRascal wrote:If I were in your shoes, I would ED to NYU (but only if you retake in October and don't go up a few points). Can you live at home if you get in?


Yup




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: latif and 3 guests