Need Help!!!!

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lavender01

Need Help!!!!

Postby lavender01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:06 pm

I am a rising senior and I need help in regards to LSAT study/prep. I know there are tons of posts in regards to this question but I would appreciate answers that were specific to me. I enrolled in a powerscore course but unfortunately the course will be cancelled because of too few enrollees. The only other LSAT prep company in my city is Kaplan. I have heard pros and cons about Kaplan so I am weary about taking the course. However, I really do think I need a course, and since PowerScore is not offering any other courses, Kaplan is my only other option for LSAT prep courses.

I feel like I need a course because when I took a timed practice test cold (no study/prep before the test)I got a 147. I am planning to take the October LSAT but I currently do not know what to do. Should I just go for the Kaplan course or try to self-study. I have the LR and LG Powerscore Bibles. Will I have enough time to effectively study on my own?

I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA and would like to get anywhere between a 160-165 on the LSAT.

Thanks in advance :)

Mojosodope

Re: Need Help!!!!

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Kaplan is usually frowned upon. I would self study with manhattan and the PS bibles before that. There are also things like Blueprint.

lavender01

Postby lavender01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Kaplan is usually frowned upon. I would self study with manhattan and the PS bibles before that. There are also things like Blueprint.

Thank you...so self study in conjunction with the Kaplan course? I am not familiar with Blueprint. I will have to look into that

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Don't waste your money on a Kaplan course. I did and it is not that helpful. Manhattan and the PS bibles have brought my PTs up dramatically. It might actually hinder you because many of the Kaplan methods are frowned upon by the others.

steven21

Postby steven21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavender01

Postby lavender01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Don't waste your money on a Kaplan course. I did and it is not that helpful. Manhattan and the PS bibles have brought my PTs up dramatically. It might actually hinder you because many of the Kaplan methods are frowned upon by the others.

Thank you. I will take that into consideration. I noticed the differences and cons of Kaplan in comparison to Powerscore while I was studying this summer. I used Kaplan's book first and then started on Powerscore. Powerscore's presentation and explanation of material was so different and better

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 pm

lavender01 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:Kaplan is usually frowned upon. I would self study with manhattan and the PS bibles before that. There are also things like Blueprint.

Thank you...so self study in conjunction with the Kaplan course? I am not familiar with Blueprint. I will have to look into that

No don't do the Kaplan course at all. Self study or do one of the other courses available.

lavender01

Postby lavender01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 pm

steven21 wrote:you don't have enough time. wait until june

Even with 2 solid months of self-study I don't have enough time? I took that practice LSAT back in March. I've been self-studying since June. I wanted to take a course as a supplement for clarification and added structure but you don't think it is possible to successfully self-study for 2 additional months for the Oct LSAT?

lavender01

Postby lavender01 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
lavender01 wrote:

No don't do the Kaplan course at all. Self study or do one of the other courses available.

Would a PS online course be sufficient? Manhattan, Blueprint, nor Testmasters are offering courses in my city. & the powerscore course I was enrolled in was cancelled

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:03 am

steven21 wrote:you don't have enough time. wait until june

it doesnt take everyone a year to do well.

lavender01

Postby lavender01 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for the advice you guys. I have decided to self study. 3 of my friends have taken a Kalan course and say it increased their score by 6 or 8 points. I feel that I have it within myself to increase my score by that much and more if I stick to a strict study schedule. I bought all they're manhattan books, powerscore RC (already have LG and LR), and 20 practice LSAT tests. I hope I made the right decision! Thank you!

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 pm

lavender01 wrote:Thanks for the advice you guys. I have decided to self study. 3 of my friends have taken a Kalan course and say it increased their score by 6 or 8 points. I feel that I have it within myself to increase my score by that much and more if I stick to a strict study schedule. I bought all they're manhattan books, powerscore RC (already have LG and LR), and 20 practice LSAT tests. I hope I made the right decision! Thank you!

You could have done without the powerscore RC and got the LSAT trainer instead

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 pm

lavender01 wrote:Thanks for the advice you guys. I have decided to self study. 3 of my friends have taken a Kalan course and say it increased their score by 6 or 8 points. I feel that I have it within myself to increase my score by that much and more if I stick to a strict study schedule. I bought all they're manhattan books, powerscore RC (already have LG and LR), and 20 practice LSAT tests. I hope I made the right decision! Thank you!

you did make the right decision. good luck.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 pm

lavender01 wrote:I am a rising senior and I need help in regards to LSAT study/prep. I know there are tons of posts in regards to this question but I would appreciate answers that were specific to me. I enrolled in a powerscore course but unfortunately the course will be cancelled because of too few enrollees. The only other LSAT prep company in my city is Kaplan. I have heard pros and cons about Kaplan so I am weary about taking the course. However, I really do think I need a course, and since PowerScore is not offering any other courses, Kaplan is my only other option for LSAT prep courses.

I feel like I need a course because when I took a timed practice test cold (no study/prep before the test)I got a 147. I am planning to take the October LSAT but I currently do not know what to do. Should I just go for the Kaplan course or try to self-study. I have the LR and LG Powerscore Bibles. Will I have enough time to effectively study on my own?

I have a 3.8 cumulative GPA and would like to get anywhere between a 160-165 on the LSAT.

First of all......You should work for a few years then go to law school, this way you can take your time studying and maximize your score.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 pm

NanaP wrote:
lavender01 wrote:I am a rising senior and I need help in regards to LSAT study/prep. I know there are tons of posts in regards to this question but I would appreciate answers that were specific to me. I enrolled in a powerscore course but unfortunately the course will be cancelled because of too few enrollees. The only other LSAT prep company in my city is Kaplan. I have heard pros and cons about Kaplan so I am weary about taking the course. However, I really do think I need a course, and since PowerScore is not offering any other courses, Kaplan is my only other option for LSAT prep courses.

First of all......You should work for a few years then go to law school, this way you can take your time studying and maximize your score.

+1

Youre probably not going to reach your full potential by October.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Check out PP,DD, and Noodley's guides

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=200917

Noodleys is my favorite. Get drilling books by question type for tests 1-40 for sure.

lavender01

Postby lavender01 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Nova wrote:
NanaP wrote:

+1

Youre probably not going to reach your full potential by October.

So do you think I should take the December LSAT instead? Would that still allow me to apply for the 2013-2014 cycle?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 pm

December is ok for this cycle. Maybe take oct and dec. Schools only care about your highest score.

I think a good plan would be to prep for October but if youre not pting consistently in the 160s, withdraw.

No matter what you should take next June (which would truly give you enough time to prep) to see if sitting out a cycle would be worth it.

I think your strategy should depend on how well your prep goes over the next 6 weeks, so we will see. Definitely study like crazy as if you are taking it in oct . You'll want to build your foundation asap.

Keep us updated. Good luck!
Last edited by Nova on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d330

Postby d330 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I'd say if you are serious about law school take the test in June. You should be PTing in the high 160s. Like 166 or better. Depends on what you want though. You might be a poor test taker. If not, why settle for mediocrity. Also, there are study plans on here that you should just use to build your own. One thing I'd definitely do is use the 7Sage sight for their youtube video explanations of the logic games. 20 practice tests isn't enough either, and you'll want to do the five section tests, so you'll need to get some of the early tests to add a section in. Can't emphasize enough how important it is to take the practice tests under actual test conditions. If I were suggesting you pay for anything it would be a tutor from Manhattan LSAT, and not for the tutor, but so that you can get access to their website and have all of the practice tests right there and downloadable, as opposed to buying all of the books. Also, they have a book they send you that has fifteen five section tests in it, which is a convenience because that's fifteen PTs where you wouldn't have to add a test.

But, I'd say wait until June. Develop a solid six month study plan and intend on scoring a 172 or something.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”