Difference between AA male/Female

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Blackguy123

Difference between AA male/Female

Postby Blackguy123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:54 am

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was much of a difference between the URM boost for an AA male and female. Asking for my twin sister, she is also applying to law schools this fall and we're kind've hoping to go to the same school together, we have very similar statistics lol

Clearly

Re: Difference between AA male/Female

Postby Clearly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:24 am

No idea, I just wanted to share that I lol'd at the title.

Blackguy123

Postby Blackguy123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:No idea, I just wanted to share that I lol'd at the title.

Hahahaha I didn't even think of that

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 am

There are a lot less AA males in college than AA females. I saw something on youtube saying something like 2/3 of all blacks in college are females.

Here is that video, it describes at a lot of other things unrelated to this topic tho.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjvPOBvd9A

Blackguy123

Postby Blackguy123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 am

90convoy wrote:There are a lot less AA males in college than AA females. I saw something on youtube saying something like 2/3 of all blacks in college are females.

Here is that video, it describes at a lot of other things unrelated to this topic tho.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjvPOBvd9A

Thanks man, I know where I'm heading this summer now lol

AfricanGal

Postby AfricanGal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:45 am

Don't mean to hijack this thread but is there really a distinct difference between AA Woman and Men when it comes to top law school admissions? Aren't there so few of us who manage to score relatively high on the LSAT or have good gpas, that the preference between either is non-existent?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 am

difference between AA male/female.

Le'me guess...genitalia?

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:06 am

Blackguy123 wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering if there was much of a difference between the URM boost for an AA male and female. Asking for my twin sister, she is also applying to law schools this fall and we're kind've hoping to go to the same school together, we have very similar statistics lol

No inside information, but I believe that AA men are generally more underrepresented in the legal field than AA women. Assuming the adcomms are consistent with their goal of increasing diversity in the school by applying that "diversity goal" to both gender and ethnicity, it seems AA men should see slightly better admissions results than AA women in the aggregate. (The cynic in me suspects that the adcomms may not care to make the gender distinction when the applicants are both already part of an underrepped ethnic minority and the underrepped class is male, but I'll keep the assumption for the sake of analysis. You can easily see how the result would change if my cynical side is wrong.) However, given the small sample sizes and slight difference in representation in the legal field, any difference in outcome for two African American applicants based on gender is fairly likely to be undetectable.

TL;DR: y'all are probably going to find your admissions results to be very similar, though there is no guarantee that you'll both get into the same school as slight differences in extracurriculars, etc., may be enough to change admissions outcomes for y'all.

And I know this is off-topic, but please, for the love of god, if one of y'all gets a fat scholarship to a slightly worse school (I'm thinking like, both of y'all get into NYU and Penn, but only you get 100K off tuition at Penn), take the money and run. Debt is for life. Legal hiring is no guarantee.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”