Question

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
tal32123

Question

Postby tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:50 am

I'm American Israeli. Anyways would I be considered underrepresented? I'm Jewish/Sephardic which means that my people were descendants of Spain or something like that. I mean we are under 2% of the population whereas African Americans are over 13% and Hispanics are 17% give or take. I don't want to get into a huge debate, just curious if I'd be considered underrepresented. Also what would I put under the nationality or race section? I mean, I was born in the united states. I'm a dual citizen of America and Israel (my parents also are a whole bunch of nationalities, but they my dad was born in America and my mom Israel and that's pretty much all I remember). So anyways what should I put in the race/nationality section? And again I'm not trying to spark a debate about race or anything, just curious what I should put down for my specific situation. Thanks :)
Last edited by tal32123 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

jrsbaseball5

Re: Question

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:09 am

The URM term comes from those who are underrepresented in the legal profession as compared to the country as a whole.

These are fake numbers, but if for example there are 13% AA's in the country as a whole, but only 2% in the legal profession they are underrepresented.

As far as what you should put down just be consistent with whatever you have filled out in past forms such as your undergrad application. It would be frowned upon for you to claim one race consistently in the past and then switch it for law school for the boost.

tal32123

Postby tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:28 am

Ahhh I understand. Unfortunately, due to me being all sorts of stuff I do not remember what I put down lol I usually put down either other, prefer not to answer, white, or two or more races.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:55 am

If you keep posting on this site, stay away from the poster JNE. ywia

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 am

You're white. Just put white.

Also, stop making threads.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:52 am

tal32123 wrote:I'm American Israeli (Yes I'm Jewish). Anyways would I be considered underrepresented? I mean we are under 2% of the population whereas African Americans are over 13% and Hispanics are 17% give or take.

Is this a joke?

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:02 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:You're white. Just put white.

Being Jewish does not necessarily mean you are white. There are Jews of all different backgrounds and races. OP mentioned he/she is Sephardic, so they could be from North Africa.

Yes, I know that middle-easterners are grouped in the "white people" category, but not all North Africans identify themselves as middle-eastern. Depends where you come from. Even if OP doesn't get a URM boost, it could make for an interesting personal statement.

Best of luck OP!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 am

I'm pretty sure Jews/Americans of Israeli descent are hugely overrepresented in the legal field. Luckily for you, law schools don't really penalize an applicant for being an ORM, unlike Asian kids trying to get into top undergrad programs, for example. You'll just be treated like a boring white person.

tal32123

Postby tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 am

As I said I'm not really sure what I'd be considered due to my parents being from pretty much everywhere. Also I know that being Jewish has nothing to do with it, religion has (as far as I know) nothing to do with law applications, I was just merely stating a fact for those who don't know what Sephardic was or whatever. Sorry if I offended anyone, just asking questions to see what I should do given the fact that I had no idea what to put in the form. Also to the poster who said to quit making threads. No. I'll make threads whenever I feel like they need to be made. This is America :) http://davidaroffman.com/images/borat_500x375.jpg

tal32123

Postby tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm pretty sure Jews/Americans of Israeli descent are hugely overrepresented in the legal field. Luckily for you, law schools don't really penalize an applicant for being an ORM, unlike Asian kids trying to get into top undergrad programs, for example. You'll just be treated like a boring white person.

I gotcha. I mean I was just not sure what little box to check lol. But yeah I know a lot of American Jews are lawyers (Israeli ones in the US, not so much, not that it matters lol).

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 am

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:00 pm

You're asking if Jews are underrepresented in the field of law? Not sure if serious...

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:52 pm

tal32123 wrote:I'm American Israeli. Anyways would I be considered underrepresented? I'm Jewish/Sephardic which means that my people were descendants of Spain or something like that. I mean we are under 2% of the population whereas African Americans are over 13% and Hispanics are 17% give or take. I don't want to get into a huge debate, just curious if I'd be considered underrepresented. Also what would I put under the nationality or race section? I mean, I was born in the united states. I'm a dual citizen of America and Israel (my parents also are a whole bunch of nationalities, but they my dad was born in America and my mom Israel and that's pretty much all I remember). So anyways what should I put in the race/nationality section? And again I'm not trying to spark a debate about race or anything, just curious what I should put down for my specific situation. Thanks :)

OP, because you listed yourself as Jewish/Sephardic (of Spanish descent), I believe you would be considered white for admissions purposes in the US. Whether you decide to pick White Hispanic (origins in Spain or Latin America) or Non Hispanic White (origins in Europe/Middle East/Northern Africa) is totally up to you and which one you think best captures your identity. You aren't getting a boost from either of those categories anyway.

Concerning nationality, you could list both the Israeli and American citizenship. Your nationality will only include citizenships that you hold at that moment.

tal32123

Postby tal32123 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:56 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
tal32123 wrote:I'm American Israeli. Anyways would I be considered underrepresented? I'm Jewish/Sephardic which means that my people were descendants of Spain or something like that. I mean we are under 2% of the population whereas African Americans are over 13% and Hispanics are 17% give or take. I don't want to get into a huge debate, just curious if I'd be considered underrepresented. Also what would I put under the nationality or race section? I mean, I was born in the united states. I'm a dual citizen of America and Israel (my parents also are a whole bunch of nationalities, but they my dad was born in America and my mom Israel and that's pretty much all I remember). So anyways what should I put in the race/nationality section? And again I'm not trying to spark a debate about race or anything, just curious what I should put down for my specific situation. Thanks :)

OP, because you listed yourself as Jewish/Sephardic (of Spanish descent), I believe you would be considered white for admissions purposes in the US. Whether you decide to pick White Hispanic (origins in Spain or Latin America) or Non Hispanic White (origins in Europe/Middle East/Northern Africa) is totally up to you and which one you think best captures your identity. You aren't getting a boost from either of those categories anyway.

Concerning nationality, you could list both the Israeli and American citizenship. Your nationality will only include citizenships that you hold at that moment.

Ok thank you. Also for those of you who misunderstood, I did not mean to get into a huge debat. I was just not sure if Sephardic was considered Hispanic and/or URM. That being said there is no way to know what percentage of Jews are lawyers so I'm not necessarily sure if that is a stereotype or not. Also there is no way to know if someone is Jewish or not since that is a religion, so they'd never put that on the application (or at least that would make sense not to). So for those of you who thought I meant if Jewish itself is URM, you misunderstood my initial question. Cheers :D

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm a Jew and this topic made me cringe so hard.

Just accept that you are an ORM.

tal32123

Postby tal32123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:26 pm

phillywc wrote:I'm a Jew and this topic made me cringe so hard.

Lmao relax I accept it :p I just wanted to know if sephardic was considered hispanic or not.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 pm

tal32123 wrote:

Lmao relax I accept it :p I just wanted to know if sephardic was considered hispanic or not.

FYI, Cardozo was Sephardi, but most people don't consider him Hispanic/Latino.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:26 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:

tal32123

Postby tal32123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:40 pm

jump_man wrote:
tal32123 wrote:

FYI, Cardozo was Sephardi, but most people don't consider him Hispanic/Latino.

ok thanks :)

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”