AA Male 3.74 and 161 Needs Help Choosing Schools to Apply to

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
blkstl

Re: AA Male 3.74 and 161 Needs Help Choosing Schools to Apply to

Postby blkstl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Which section(s) are you struggling with on the LSAT?
Last edited by blkstl on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d330

Postby d330 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:55 pm

blkstl wrote:
Which section(s) are you struggling with on the LSAT?

Prior to test day it was Analytical Reasoning. I'd always missed about 8 - 10 every time. I almost never missed more than 5 on the other sections. But, on test day I missed 7 AR, 5 on RC and 8 then 5 on the LR. So...

I'm really thinking about taking a few PTs before the October test's registration deadline to see where I'm at. If I'm consistently PTing at a 163 or higher, by god, I'll retake.

I plan on getting my applications out the first few weeks schools are accepting them. Let's say I applied late September / early October and retake in October or even December. Would I be getting decisions before my test results come back, or would they wait until the results are in?

You need to talk to someone about strategy. It's no way you should be missing 8-10 each time. Also, missing 5 and 8 on the Logic Games is something you can improve on. Those are the gimmes, because it's discipline and rules. It's speed too, and maybe speed is a challenging thing that can't be overcome. Mastering the reasoning section is harder, but it can be done. But for real, and I'm bowing out after this, you need to seriously invest time into how you are approaching studying for the games. I should add I'm not saying the test is easy - but I'm saying too many people seem not to study as wisely as possible. PTs should come after you have some systematic way to look at how to prepare. And systematically measure why you're not improving. I firmly believe you can study your way to at least a 165 on this test. It might take 25 hours a week for a month, but...

blkstl

Postby blkstl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Intending to retake in October, waiting to register.

Also going to try to get my applications as complete as possible early to leave more time to study before the test and sending out emails about fee waivers over the next few weeks.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

blkstl wrote:Intending to retake in October, waiting to register.

Also going to try to get my applications as complete as possible early to leave more time to study before the test and sending out emails about fee waivers over the next few weeks.

Best of luck!!!

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:24 pm

I suggest applying to WUSTL, Emory, and UCLA in order to leverage $$$ they give you against the school you want to go too. After a certain point there really isn't too much additional effort in applying to more places. Also, make sure you ask for fee waivers at every school that doesn't auto offer them to you. Have you considered applying for the LSAC fee waiver for the 2nd LSAT.

blkstl

Postby blkstl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:59 pm

CourCour wrote:I suggest applying to WUSTL, Emory, and UCLA in order to leverage $$$ they give you against the school you want to go too. After a certain point there really isn't too much additional effort in applying to more places. Also, make sure you ask for fee waivers at every school that doesn't auto offer them to you. Have you considered applying for the LSAC fee waiver for the 2nd LSAT.

I had previously looked into applying to WUSTL and Emory, anyway. I'm going to ask for waivers from as many schools as I can, since there's not much lost in sending an email and maybe getting a waiver from a school that you're marginally interested in.

I've looked into the LSAC fee waiver too, but it seems that in my case I'd have to give my parents' earnings information, as well. I may qualify for the waiver on my own, but not with theirs too.

blkstl

Postby blkstl » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Since the last time I posted I have since decided to retake in October and have significantly (I feel) changed my list of schools.

I now have:

Harvard
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
UVA
Michigan
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell / Penn (Depends on fee waivers)
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
Washington in StL
Emory
Fordham
University of Cincinnati

I think if I hit my target score of 165, I can get into most of these schools. But, there's always the possibility that I do not and / or I do not get into the schools towards the top of my list.

The only issue I'm having, besides focusing on studying for the retake, is that I'm not certain that I have enough safety schools.
Last edited by blkstl on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:40 am

Ditch the safety schools altogether. Safeties are great for undergrad where, if you strike out everywhere, at least you have that as a fall back. With law school, if you don't get into a decent enough school, you reapply the next year.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”