ED to Columbia this upcoming cycle? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sfxx

New

ED to Columbia this upcoming cycle?

Post by sfxx » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:34 pm

My stats:
3.4 GPA
164 LSAT
AA Male
Softs: Nothing significant

Would an ED to Columbia be justified? I figure I have no chance at HYS with my current scores. I perused Law School Numbers for the past few years, and the only AA males with my numbers who've gotten significant T-14 $$$ anywhere seem to have amazing softs or come from underprivileged backgrounds. My number one goal is Big Law. I figure if I pay sticker at Columbia I can PAYE + Big Law to minimize debt?

Can anyone convince me NOT to ED?

Typhoon24

Silver

Re: ED to Columbia this upcoming cycle?

Post by Typhoon24 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Don't ED. You have a solid chance at getting in regular decision CLS with those numbers, possibly with money. take a look at this chart of AA's from the past few cycles with your numbers.

H is not totally out of the picture either. You have a slim shot, but it's still possible.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:54 pm

You'll probably get some money at at least 1 of CCN(P). More than 50K at any of these is a bit better than CLS sticker for biglaw. You shouldn't ED

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:35 pm

You should keep your options open and RD everywhere.

Also, retake in October.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Copied from a similar thread:

Based on my analysis of LSN data (just for URM applicants to the top-14, so data is kind of limited...take this for what it's worth).

In terms of being admitted to a school rather than rejected (leaving out waitlisted candidates whose ultimate fate is not known), controlling for LSAT score, GPA, gender, and non-trad status (as well as ED and earlier applications). The number for ED is the increase in likelihood of being accepted applying ED vs. RD. The number for applying earlier is the increase in the likelihood of being accepted for each earlier month you apply (Sep vs. Oct, Oct vs. Nov, etc.):

Columbia: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - no impact

Chicago: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 99%

NYU: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 32%

Penn: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 110%

Virginia: ED - 740% (yep, that is seven hundred and forty percent)
Applying earlier - 24%

Michigan: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 46%

Duke: ED - no impact (it's close to statistical significance, but not close enough)

Northwestern: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 45%

Georgetown: ED - no impact

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:02 pm

If you retake in October and score above 167 you're looking at HYS or big $ at T14s.

Either way, don't ED.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”