Mexican American = Native American?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
emkay625

Mexican American = Native American?

Postby emkay625 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi everyone, posting for a friend.

I have a friend who is Mexican American. What should he put down for race? He is NOT Caucasian/Hispanic, his family was indigenous to Mexico . Native American, as a race, is genuinely used to refer to people who trace their ancestry to U.S. tribes, not he continent. So what should he put? Other? I know on apps he'll tell them MA, but what race option should he select before that.

Thanks folks.

Aasterinian

Re: Mexican American = Native American?

Postby Aasterinian » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:14 am

There was a thread about this question a while back. Like many AA-related discussions on this site, it ended up being pretty contentious. I think TCR is probably to have your friend contact LSAC and/or the schools she's applying to and see what they advise.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:54 pm

If he put Native American down on his undergrad apps, he should put down Native American on his law school apps. I really somehow doubt he did, though.

Also, Native Americans as a category get no real "boost" without being enrolled members.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Im MA but don't rember what the boxes said. I thought there was an MA box... so if so, your friend should just check that.

twentypercentmore wrote:Also, Native Americans as a category get no real "boost" without being enrolled members.

Why do you think this? I doubt you have to tell them what tribe you're in or give them documentation...

You just gotta check the box, right?

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Nova wrote:Im MA but don't rember what the boxes said. I thought there was an MA box... so if so, your friend should just check that.

MA is an ethnicity, not a race. There are white Mexican-Americans and black Mexican-Americans, but most Mexican Americans are racially mixed (White and Native).

Nova wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Also, Native Americans as a category get no real "boost" without being enrolled members.

Why do you think this? I doubt you have to tell them what tribe you're in or give them documentation...

Many (most?) applications require you to list your specific tribal affiliation. I.e., you can't just check "Native American" -- you have to check "Cherokee" or "Iroquois" on the form.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:46 am

Nova wrote:Im MA but don't rember what the boxes said. I thought there was an MA box... so if so, your friend should just check that.

Unlike with other ethnicities/races, you can't just say you're Native American without certain documentation. You must be an enrolled member of a tribe, because this is an issue of citizenship. Yes, they can ask for documentation such as your tribal ID number, and they have done, especially if you're given financial support based on the fact that you said you are Native American.

In terms of the OP's friend, generally speaking, people who are minorities within their own country may not be designated a minority in terms of US university admission. So for example, when I was applying to unis in the UK, I was considered an underrepresented minority, because I am of Irish ethnicity. But the US doesn't have the same history, so here, I'm just some white girl. ;)

So for the guy the OP is speaking about, he can't check that he's Native American, due to the issues I mentioned. And I understand why he feels he cannot check Hispanic. If, however, he's given an opportunity to specify that he is Mexican, I feel he should check that. As others explained, being Mexican does not mean you're Hispanic. It means you are of Mexican descent. But I would suggest, as others have, that he contact admissions at the schools he's applying to, and ask them what they feel he should check.

Flett

Postby Flett » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Really depends on the school. Some ask for enrollment information, some don't ask for anything.

serdog

Postby serdog » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:19 am

http://www.cdc.gov/features/aianheritagemonth/
Both the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the 2010 Census define "American Indian/Alaska Native" as people having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintain tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Now it will vary from school as to the boost but if you can meet the bolded part it likely wrong to check the Native American box. ie If a Mexican American as a community,tribal or Cultural connection to Indigenous people check that box and write a DS about it. If you can't don't. I've said it before I'm a Canadian who is affiliated with a cross boarder tribe(I'm not enrolled with my Alaskan Native side) and I felt no issue with checking that box, considering I got something other then a quick reject from Columbia with a 159 3.3, I would say I was counted NA I was also offered a diversity scholarship at a TTT.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 am

twentypercentmore wrote:If he put Native American down on his undergrad apps, he should put down Native American on his law school apps. I really somehow doubt he did, though.

Also, Native Americans as a category get no real "boost" without being enrolled members.

+1

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”