Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
tienzing
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby tienzing » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Do you guys think I'd be considered an URM? The big problem is Tibet is currently politically part of China. However, I was born and grew up as a refugee in India. I am a citizen of the U.S. now though. I'm a splitter with a sub-3.0 GPA and a 166 LSAT and so this would be a big difference maker for me.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:01 pm

nah, don't think so.

However, your back story would make for a kickass personal statement.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby twenty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:14 pm

You're for sure not a URM. Please, please retake the LSAT, because you are probably one of the few sub 3.0 folks that stand a chance of getting into T14 schools by nature of your PS.

tienzing
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby tienzing » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Typhoon, why do you say that I'm one of the few sub 3.0folks that actually stands a chance at T14... I've never really aimed that high because I really didn't feel it'd be possible. I've just been looking at the mid table schools Top 50ish.

User avatar
Typhoon24
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:39 pm

tienzing wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Typhoon, why do you say that I'm one of the few sub 3.0folks that actually stands a chance at T14... I've never really aimed that high because I really didn't feel it'd be possible. I've just been looking at the mid table schools Top 50ish.


if I was to be honest, I'd say that your chances at top 14 are very slim until you get to the 168-169 range, then an ED Northwestern acceptance or maybe a regular acceptance to cornell is possible. This is all if we're talking like 2.8-3.0 GPA, too. From my experiences, I haven't seen lower than that get in. I'd say where you stand right now, you'd (IF THE PERSONAL STATEMENT IS REALLY GOOD, THAT IS) have a decent chance at WUSTL.

tienzing
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby tienzing » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:57 am

Typhoon24 wrote:
tienzing wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Typhoon, why do you say that I'm one of the few sub 3.0folks that actually stands a chance at T14... I've never really aimed that high because I really didn't feel it'd be possible. I've just been looking at the mid table schools Top 50ish.


if I was to be honest, I'd say that your chances at top 14 are very slim until you get to the 168-169 range, then an ED Northwestern acceptance or maybe a regular acceptance to cornell is possible. This is all if we're talking like 2.8-3.0 GPA, too. From my experiences, I haven't seen lower than that get in. I'd say where you stand right now, you'd (IF THE PERSONAL STATEMENT IS REALLY GOOD, THAT IS) have a decent chance at WUSTL.


Thanks, I appreciate the honesty. Yeah I never really gave any thought to T14 schools. Currently my biggest concern is whether I should retake the LSAT or not. Here is the situation though. I took 2 LSATS almost 3yrs ago and did horrible in those (157ish). However, this year I actually studied a little and practiced a bit and was practice testing at an average of 169 consistently. I have been hearing various different opinions from people. Some tell me I shouldn't retake it because it would make it my 4th time and a 166 to 169 jump isn't too great an increase. Others tell me I defintely should if I think I can actually score higher because there is almost a mystical range in the LSATs where if you get above a 169 (168 even) everything changes. BTW my GPA is HORRIBLE, only a 2.55. When I start to think of my GPA, I really start feeling like I should take the LSAT again.

tienzing
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby tienzing » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 am

Another thing I wanna mention is that my top 2 law school choices are Fordham and Yeshiva-Cardozo. I would be more than happy to get into any of the two. So, yeah I'm not really aiming for NYU or Columbia. (I'm from NY)

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Tibetan Immigrant, refugee from India.

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:08 am

Typhoon24 wrote:
tienzing wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Typhoon, why do you say that I'm one of the few sub 3.0folks that actually stands a chance at T14... I've never really aimed that high because I really didn't feel it'd be possible. I've just been looking at the mid table schools Top 50ish.


if I was to be honest, I'd say that your chances at top 14 are very slim until you get to the 168-169 range, then an ED Northwestern acceptance or maybe a regular acceptance to cornell is possible. This is all if we're talking like 2.8-3.0 GPA, too. From my experiences, I haven't seen lower than that get in. I'd say where you stand right now, you'd (IF THE PERSONAL STATEMENT IS REALLY GOOD, THAT IS) have a decent chance at WUSTL.


If NU still does the $50K scholarship then OP is not getting in ED.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests