AA/immigrant 3.0 gpa

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
RabidSolendon

AA/immigrant 3.0 gpa

Postby RabidSolendon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 pm

I am looking to graduate next june from DeVry university with a degree in CIS(they gave me the chance to graduate with a bachelor's in three years which is a priority for me.) I knew the school was not the most prestigious or the best choice from the start so I equated that with grade inflation/easy classes and I slacked off for the first few semesters. I will graduate with nothing more than a 3.1 gpa and I just received my june LSAT and scored a 156 but I plan on retaking and am currently scoring above 170 in PTs. I am a naturalized immigrant from the Dominican Republic and can pass for both Hispanic and African American, money is not an issue.

I have pretty much given up hope on T14 but do you guys know my chances on low/mid T1?

californiauser

Re: AA/immigrant 3.0 gpa

Postby californiauser » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Is DeVry accredited? I'd be worried about finding a firm that would hire me with that blemish on my resume, post-law school.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Everything depends on your lsat. High 160s could get you a t14 bite. Anywhere below the t14 will probably give you a scholarship if you hit their lsat median. Good luck on the retake. What part of the country would you like to practice?

If you dont know for sure, you need to look into whether lsac accepts devry degrees. You should probably call lsac asap if you can't find it on Google and no one here knows.
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RabidSolendon

Postby RabidSolendon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:12 pm

californiauser wrote:Is DeVry accredited? I'd be worried about finding a firm that would hire me with that blemish on my resume, post-law school.

Yes, I made sure of that before I paid a penny to them.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Like, I'm sure it has some sort of accreditation but is it sufficient for lsac?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Nova wrote:Like, I'm sure it has some sort of accreditation but is it sufficient for lsac?

This. I know they have some kind of gimmicky regional accreditation, but they don't have national accreditation, hence their coursework cannot be transferred to a real college or university.

I'd be really, really, surprised if someone from DeVry could get into a t14.

RabidSolendon

Postby RabidSolendon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:31 pm

californiauser wrote:
Nova wrote:Like, I'm sure it has some sort of accreditation but is it sufficient for lsac?

This. I know they have some kind of gimmicky regional accreditation, but they don't have national accreditation, hence their coursework cannot be transferred to a real college or university.

I'd be really, really, surprised if someone from DeVry could get into a t14.

ok, after calming from my small panic attack, I went to their page and found that they are a member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation which is a national accreditation school. Plus the campus that I attend is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission.

I needed to get a degree before 2014 to secure a scholarship to law school and the only school that offered it in the area was devry, it would be a real bummer to find out that the LSAC doesn't accept them.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Can pass for? You mean that you have both Hispanic and African heritage correct?

I guess the only thing I am really asking is, you could put down AA on your application and would be telling the truth, correct?

RabidSolendon

Postby RabidSolendon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:36 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Can pass for? You mean that you have both Hispanic and African heritage correct?

I guess the only thing I am really asking is, you could put down AA on your application and would be telling the truth, correct?

yes, but as I understand both hispanic and african american are rated differently on the URM scale. Does it work additive? would I receive a higher bonus than both AA and hispanics because I count for both in the diversity statistics?

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:47 pm

RabidSolendon wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:Can pass for? You mean that you have both Hispanic and African heritage correct?

yes, but as I understand both hispanic and african american are rated differently on the URM scale. Does it work additive? would I receive a higher bonus than both AA and hispanics because I count for both in the diversity statistics?

Based on common sense and math, I would say no, but would like to hear from someone else.

If you are half AA and half LA (latin-american), and the respective "boost" is say 10 for the former and 6 for the latter (arbitrary), in my mind your total boost would be no more than 8.

Or, just 10 because you have enough African descent to qualify as AA. I don't think there is a boost higher than that. Anyone else have perspective?

RabidSolendon

Postby RabidSolendon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
RabidSolendon wrote:

Based on common sense and math, I would say no, but would like to hear from someone else.

If you are half AA and half LA (latin-american), and the respective "boost" is say 10 for the former and 6 for the latter (arbitrary), in my mind your total boost would be no more than 8.

Or, just 10 because you have enough African descent to qualify as AA. I don't think there is a boost higher than that. Anyone else have perspective?

Interesting,
I was born in the Dominican Republic a spanish speaking country in america which makes me latin american, but I am also black. In a sense I am 100% of both.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:59 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
RabidSolendon wrote:

I've had a few drinks but I don't even...what?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:57 am

RabidSolendon wrote:Interesting,
I was born in the Dominican Republic a spanish speaking country in america which makes me latin american, but I am also black. In a sense I am 100% of both.

Correct. You are Black Hispanic. This is no different from African or Black Caribbean naturalized aliens or citizens applying as Black applicants. That said, I'm not sure if you can check off the Black/Non-Hispanic box if there is one.

howlery

Postby howlery » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:51 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
RabidSolendon wrote:Interesting,

Correct. You are Black Hispanic. This is no different from African or Black Caribbean naturalized aliens or citizens applying as Black applicants. That said, I'm not sure if you can check off the Black/Non-Hispanic box if there is one.

As far as I know, the "Black box" is described as being for one with African roots. If OP is Black Hispanic then they shouldn't worry about checking that box as well as the Hispanic->Other box. Maybe even the White box as well given that the OP is Dominican, but thats up to them.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”