(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Last edited by cheaptilts on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PRgradBYU

Re: AA male with 3.36 and 166 LSAT?

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm

cheaptilts wrote:What are my chances into a T-20?
Anyone with similar stats in the last few cycles willing to shed some light?

Basically, I worked my way through college and I was at a low paying job during my first 1.5 years where I averaged like a 3.1 and in my 1.5 years I've averaged a 3.6 gpa (different institution...higher ranked institution in the mid 90s according to US News and reports) where I was making 10+ dollars an hour. I know that law schools take trends into account and I'm hoping they'll see that.

yay/nay?

Upward grade trends are a dime a dozen, but you're easily in at the T20. Per the graph below, the T14 is definitely in play, too.

cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:56 pm

Last edited by cheaptilts on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 am

If you get 2 or 3 more points, you have a very good shot at Harvard. With your current score, you have a solid shot at almost everywhere in the T-14 with the exception of YHS. You will almost 90% be out at Stanford and Yale even with 2 or 3 more points. I know a 3.5ish and 165ish AA female that went to Harvard and got a MBA/JD.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:04 am

cheaptilts wrote:I was -9 on the LG and I know those were the hardest for me....I spent a lot of time working on it but I just ran out of time toward the end of my self-study time..

I think I could at least turn that to a -7 since I completely bubbled in one game. Is it worth applying with the 166 in October (praying for Georgetown/Cornell) or should I retake and hope for the 168 and then apply? Would me waiting til October to apply to schools, assuming I still stay within 165-167, hurt me?

You were minus 9 on LG? LG is by far the easiest section to improve, so at least in that sense, you're in a great position. In that case, it would absolutely be worth it for you to retake in October and apply with a better score. I applied in early January and ended up OK. Retake, get your 168, and profit.

cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 am

Last edited by cheaptilts on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 am

cheaptilts wrote:I was -1 LR , -9 LG, -3 LR, and -4 RC ( missed 3 out of the last 4 questions...mustve been dozing off) so I'm thinking it should be worth it too...

I was scoring 11/24ish consistently on the LG a month before the test and 15/24 a week before so I can't say I was surprised...I finished the Logic Games Bible and accompanying workbook cover to cover though...do you have any other recommendations for ways to study the LG?

Yeah... do every single game (literally all of them) twice. The best way to improve your speed and stamina for the LGs is repetition, making sure you're understanding exactly why you're missing questions. The games used to be a weak section for me, too, but I ended up going -0 on them last December after drilling them like crazy. They're totally a learnable section. Just be sure to pay special attention to the games on the most recent tests, as they're more similar to the ones you'll encounter on your retake.

cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Last edited by cheaptilts on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:32 pm

cheaptilts wrote:another question:

So I scored -1 and -3 respectively on LR and I have never scored lower than -4 on them in any PTs. I have also never studied for LR or RC because they have always come naturally to me and my LG skills were just atrocious..which meant they needed the most focus in the limited amount of time I had to prep (about 1.5 months).

Starting on Monday I'm going back and working through the LG Bible/Workbook cover-to-cover all over again; should I 'study' RC and LR too? I mean, is it possible to buy books or learn tricks/skills to help bring a -3 average to let's say -0? Although I screwed up on RC, I'm not too worried about it since I usually average -1.

What do you think? I'm almost scared to learn new techniques or ways of approaching the questions that actually worsen my score instead of helping..

If you're not missing very many points on LR and RC, don't try out new techniques to get them down to -0. Just keep doing timed sections and practice tests to maintain your current LR/RC abilities. My RC score got progressively worse because I kept implementing new ideas, which totally tripped me up on test day. If you've got a method that is tried and true, there's no reason to modify it.

In other words, focus a lot of your time and energy on LG without neglecting LR/RC. In particular (I'm not sure if I've already told you this -- I'm too lazy to scroll up and check), spend a good chunk of your time on the more recent games.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 pm

there was a time when i could not get logic games. i know you can get it down and kill it though bro. my advice to you is buy "the next 10m actual, official, lsat preptests" if you haven't (tests 29-38) and do the LG from every test (i found the older LG more helpful to study because they seem much harder). after doing the each LG, visit the lsatblog website and use the videos that give explanations on how to solve. after you get through those, just consistently do preptests and make sure you understand them as well as you can, even if you get answers right if they were tough look over them and try to really understand it.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:05 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:In other words, focus a lot of your time and energy on LG without neglecting LR/RC. In particular (I'm not sure if I've already told you this -- I'm too lazy to scroll up and check), spend a good chunk of your time on the more recent games.

i personally found starting with older games and working my way forward helped me out. but maybe that was kind of a fluke - my hardest games were grouping games though and starting to understand the older grouping games made the newer grouping games easier to get through

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”