Silly URM question.

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Typhoon24

Silly URM question.

Postby Typhoon24 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I feel it must be asked though; better to look like an idiot now than later when it counts. The June LSAT wait coupled with the SCOTUS ruling nonsense is making me super anxious lol.

AA male here. Here's the question: The only thing that I have to do to indicate that I am a URM to the law schools I apply to is simply to bubble in the AA Box in the personal info section, right? Is there some random form or something I have to fill out online, etc... ?

Also, what's the deal with diversity statements? do I have to do one?

NanaP

Re: Silly URM question.

Postby NanaP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:I feel it must be asked though; better to look like an idiot now than later when it counts. The June LSAT wait coupled with the SCOTUS ruling nonsense is making me super anxious lol.

AA male here. Here's the question: The only thing that I have to do to indicate that I am a URM to the law schools I apply to is simply to bubble in the AA Box in the personal info section, right? Is there some random form or something I have to fill out online, etc... ?

Also, what's the deal with diversity statements? do I have to do one?

No and no....u will not have to fill out a form, and diversity statement are optional

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Last year, a couple schools didn't even let me attach a diversity statement. I think you're fine just checking the box on the application section/perhaps also including a subtle line in your PS.

edith1921

Postby edith1921 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Last edited by edith1921 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

You should calm down. It's out of your hands. Your goal should be 180.
Last edited by BerkeleyBear on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:1.The only thing that I have to do to indicate that I am a URM to the law schools I apply to is simply to bubble in the AA Box in the personal info section, right? Is there some random form or something I have to fill out online, etc... ?

2.Also, what's the deal with diversity statements? do I have to do one?

1.yeah

2.You dont have to do one. You definitely should though.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Yes you just check a box yes if it applies.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:17 pm

thanks guys for clearing it up

Amicus_Curiae2013

Postby Amicus_Curiae2013 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:46 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Last year, a couple schools didn't even let me attach a diversity statement. I think you're fine just checking the box on the application section/perhaps also including a subtle line in your PS.

Which schools are we talking about here? I may have to revise my personal statement because of this :o

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Last year, a couple schools didn't even let me attach a diversity statement. I think you're fine just checking the box on the application section/perhaps also including a subtle line in your PS.

Which schools are we talking about here? I may have to revise my personal statement because of this :o

I never felt like the application was limiting my ability to express my URM status -- if I was forced to check "Hispanic" rather than being able to check the MA box, then I was able to attach my diversity statement. If I wasn't able to attach a diversity statement, on those applications, I could check the "MA" box and be done with it.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If a school doesn't care about your diversity statement, I wouldn't re-write a PS just to make sure you show off your diversity.

To actually answer your question... I don't remember. :P There were definitely at least two T14 schools that did not have a place on the application to upload a diversity statement.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Sorry to be late to the party, but I would never just leave it at a checked box to indicate to an adcomm what about being URM has influenced my experience/perspective on things. I see the DS as a chance to give the adcomm more reasons to take you--I'd never pass that up.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Absolutely - but if there's no diversity statement you can upload...

Amicus_Curiae2013

Postby Amicus_Curiae2013 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
Amicus_Curiae2013 wrote:

I never felt like the application was limiting my ability to express my URM status -- if I was forced to check "Hispanic" rather than being able to check the MA box, then I was able to attach my diversity statement. If I wasn't able to attach a diversity statement, on those applications, I could check the "MA" box and be done with it.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If a school doesn't care about your diversity statement, I wouldn't re-write a PS just to make sure you show off your diversity.

To actually answer your question... I don't remember. :P There were definitely at least two T14 schools that did not have a place on the application to upload a diversity statement.

I really need to know the names of those schools. :shock: It is not about showing off URM status, but both my PS and DS treat different subjects, one of which may weigh more if DS is out of the question. this is because my recommendation letters and transcripts would have addressed the first subject, in which case, I would rather have my PS statement be about the second one. All to ensure I am presenting myself as a well rounded applicant with a background like no other :mrgreen:

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 am

Based on the apps I submitted last year, it looks like Yale, UVA, UCLA, UChicago, and UC Berkeley didn't take diversity statements on their applications.

More than I remember, honestly. :o

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”