Dreamers? Deffered action students? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Erickt26

New

Dreamers? Deffered action students?

Post by Erickt26 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Wondering if there is any dreamers/DACA applicants on TLS. If so when are you applying and what difficulties are you encountering with the app process for law schools? I am looking to establish a network of dreamers perusing a law degree...

PRgradBYU

Silver

Re: Dreamers? Deffered action students?

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 am

Erickt26 wrote:Wondering if there is any dreamers/DACA applicants on TLS. If so when are you applying and what difficulties are you encountering with the app process for law schools? I am looking to establish a network of dreamers perusing a law degree...
Perusing a law degree is easy. Pursuing it... not so much.

Lubberlubber

New

Post by Lubberlubber » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am

I can say that you probably will have problems during the ethics portion of the bar exam, and, depending on your firm/organization, and depending on whether immigration reform is going to be passed, you'll also face issues in applying for a working visa, etc.

If the bill passes and you get some way to work and eventually get permanent status, I can't see the bar barring you from practicing law, but you should consult a bar attorney anyway.

Also, the same advice applies to you as to everyone: Sticker only at HYS, or else only pay for law school at the rest of the T14. Otherwise, don't go.

Erickt26

New

Post by Erickt26 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:54 am

Wow. It is embarrassing to not spell correctly.

I am getting ready to file for my residency, as a result I do not think that I will have issues with the ethics portion.

I am simply trying to establish connections with people that are currently in the same situation.

Anyone out there?

alanjd

New

Post by alanjd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I became a resident in 2011, so not exactly the same situation but I understand where you are coming from. Trying to figure life out while you are undocumented is really difficult.

Either way, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Hopefully CIR will happen sooner rather than later.

Erickt26

New

Post by Erickt26 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm

alanjd wrote:I became a resident in 2011, so not exactly the same situation but I understand where you are coming from. Trying to figure life out while you are undocumented is really difficult.

Either way, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Hopefully CIR will happen sooner rather than later.
Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the support. Did you end up going to law school?

alanjd

New

Post by alanjd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:05 am

Erickt26 wrote:
alanjd wrote:I became a resident in 2011, so not exactly the same situation but I understand where you are coming from. Trying to figure life out while you are undocumented is really difficult.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the support. Did you end up going to law school?
I have been admitted to three schools and I am waiting to hear back from one more before I make a decision

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm

In California it won't matter. A precedent was set by the California Supreme Court that an illegal was granted bar passage. Don't expect to be hired by a firm, but you can become a lawyer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/us/im ... .html?_r=0

cslopez5

New

Post by cslopez5 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:10 am

https://www.facebook.com/dreambarassociation

I know one of the board members as well if you are interested in getting in touch with her.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”