Dreamers? Deffered action students?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Erickt26

New

Dreamers? Deffered action students?

Postby Erickt26 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 am

Wondering if there is any dreamers/DACA applicants on TLS. If so when are you applying and what difficulties are you encountering with the app process for law schools? I am looking to establish a network of dreamers perusing a law degree...

PRgradBYU

Silver

Re: Dreamers? Deffered action students?

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 am

Erickt26 wrote:Wondering if there is any dreamers/DACA applicants on TLS. If so when are you applying and what difficulties are you encountering with the app process for law schools? I am looking to establish a network of dreamers perusing a law degree...

Perusing a law degree is easy. Pursuing it... not so much.

Lubberlubber

New

Postby Lubberlubber » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am

I can say that you probably will have problems during the ethics portion of the bar exam, and, depending on your firm/organization, and depending on whether immigration reform is going to be passed, you'll also face issues in applying for a working visa, etc.

If the bill passes and you get some way to work and eventually get permanent status, I can't see the bar barring you from practicing law, but you should consult a bar attorney anyway.

Also, the same advice applies to you as to everyone: Sticker only at HYS, or else only pay for law school at the rest of the T14. Otherwise, don't go.

Erickt26

New

Postby Erickt26 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:54 am

Wow. It is embarrassing to not spell correctly.

I am getting ready to file for my residency, as a result I do not think that I will have issues with the ethics portion.

I am simply trying to establish connections with people that are currently in the same situation.

Anyone out there?

alanjd

New

Postby alanjd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I became a resident in 2011, so not exactly the same situation but I understand where you are coming from. Trying to figure life out while you are undocumented is really difficult.

Either way, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Hopefully CIR will happen sooner rather than later.

Erickt26

New

Postby Erickt26 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm

alanjd wrote:I became a resident in 2011, so not exactly the same situation but I understand where you are coming from. Trying to figure life out while you are undocumented is really difficult.

Either way, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Hopefully CIR will happen sooner rather than later.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the support. Did you end up going to law school?

alanjd

New

Postby alanjd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:05 am

Erickt26 wrote:
alanjd wrote:I became a resident in 2011, so not exactly the same situation but I understand where you are coming from. Trying to figure life out while you are undocumented is really difficult.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate the support. Did you end up going to law school?

I have been admitted to three schools and I am waiting to hear back from one more before I make a decision

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm

In California it won't matter. A precedent was set by the California Supreme Court that an illegal was granted bar passage. Don't expect to be hired by a firm, but you can become a lawyer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/us/im ... .html?_r=0

cslopez5

New

Postby cslopez5 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:10 am

https://www.facebook.com/dreambarassociation

I know one of the board members as well if you are interested in getting in touch with her.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum�