URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mt2165 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:33 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Pozzy wrote:crawling out of my hole.

my cycle has sucked.
denied at a few schools, waitlisted at a few more, still only got into my last resort that is such a last resort i may sit the cycle out if that's all i get. it was my first acceptance months ago and it's been a depressing downhill tumble since then.
still waiting to hear back from about 4 schools, not hopeful considering that they are ranked higher than all the ones who have rejected or waitlisted me.

i got invited for an SEO interview in my choice city (NYC) .... is that a big deal? in what way? i literally briefly read like one person on this site post something like "omg got an seo interview" a few months ago, so i just said to myself "idk what that is but i'll apply, whatevs" ...

can someone get me excited about this interview by giving me some info about what it is? i get the gist of it .... paid internship for 0L students, but besides the straightforward nutshell description, what's the big deal?

Truly Yours,
Debbie Downer


Have you tried reading the website? Or the whole 165 page thread about it on here? I'm semi-annoyed by your attitude about it because so many people would kill just to interview.


Sharing similar sentiments with my girl Mandy^, but the big deal is it's a great internship experience for students of color that we would never have otherwise, one that allows us introduction into the world of top corporate law, and allows us to network and build relationships that very possibly extend past law school.

User avatar
Brettanomyces
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:58 pm

In at NYU this morning.

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:59 pm

I would just read up on it in the forum or stalk their website to get more of a gist of what it is. I can actually sympathize with your attitude for it all. It's hard to be excited by something like SEO when you're not even getting into the schools that you want to. It's easy to be pumped for it when you're in your top choice, excited/anxious, and just waiting to deposit. Pozzy is clearly not in that situation.

User avatar
calle_25
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby calle_25 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:In at NYU this morning.

Congratulations! NYU holds a special place in my heart so I get all giddy when I see people getting in :)

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:In at NYU this morning.



Congrats!!

toshiroh wrote:I would just read up on it in the forum or stalk their website to get more of a gist of what it is. I can actually sympathize with your attitude for it all. It's hard to be excited by something like SEO when you're not even getting into the schools that you want to. It's easy to be pumped for it when you're in your top choice, excited/anxious, and just waiting to deposit. Pozzy is clearly not in that situation.


I see what you are saying and I guess I should have a little sympathy for his/her situation. I just think that you should be more hungry for it if you are in that situation because you could easily outperform your peers in the job market. I can imagine that it would make my time at a T-whatever exponentially better if I knew that I was going to a top firm after 1L and possibly for 2L and post-3L.

But I totally get it Tosh. Sorry you are feeling down Pozzy, but you should really think of this as a great shot at getting a job that a lot of us T-14 to T-1,2,3,4,etc want.

AfricanGal
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AfricanGal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Pozzy,

I'm not in this cycle, but remembering your previous posts in this thread your stats looked pretty decent (163 LSAT, 3.48 GPA, right?). I would have at least expected a fighting chance at Columbia or NYU...

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:38 pm

why did the thread about racial tensions at UCLA get locked and deleted?

isaiah1992
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby isaiah1992 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby August Wilson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:48 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats!

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby blackbirdfly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats! What made you pick Berkeley?

User avatar
teampeeta
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby teampeeta » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:50 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


!!!!!! Congrats. Full ride, FTW. Still waiting on Stanford, though?

isaiah1992
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby isaiah1992 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:51 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:
isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats! What made you pick Berkeley?


It's a long list so I'll PM you.

isaiah1992
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby isaiah1992 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 pm

teampeeta wrote:
isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


!!!!!! Congrats. Full ride, FTW. Still waiting on Stanford, though?


Yea, but I feel like at this point it's either a WL or rejection, but I'll leave it pending. Hoping I can land SEO, but if not its ok.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Cocoblues » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:56 pm

August Wilson wrote:
isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats!


+1

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:
isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats! What made you pick Berkeley?


Congrats! I'm also curious about your decision making.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats bro! See you at ASW.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats!


+1

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby blackbirdfly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm proud of everyone in this thread!

mydasmarie
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mydasmarie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 pm

El Principe wrote:
mt2165 wrote:For the first time ever I'm thinking long and hard about sitting out this cycle and retaking. Kinda scary.


Didn't have any schools that threw $$$?

Think long and hard about your goals and what you really want to do before you decide to wait a year and Good luck! Follow your dreams!.

Me, I was gonna sit, but I got more of an offer than my #s warranted, so I'm lucky. Couldn't pass it up tbh.


El principe, i have been thinking the same. I got into Duke with 20k/year, but I just don't know if that is a good offer. For ref., I sent out all apps the first week of February...

I got into Fordham today, but need to put a deposit down at Duke by April 11th ( early because I am a dual degree who would start June 1st)...

User avatar
Pozzy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Pozzy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:58 pm

i'm on my iPhone so this is sure to be a grammatical, punctuation & structural scattered nightmare.

mandy & mt2165 (2156?)

priority for all (most?) of us, including me, is getting in to law school. if law school (1L) isn't the goal, then SEO (0L) becomes irrelevant. after spending countless hours reading forums and official info about the LSAT, forums and official info about GPA, forums and official stats about Law School chances, reading law school websites, LSN, and bucket loads of indirect and direct sources of info about actual law school .... after doing all of that but not having my results not reflect the info i read ...... no, i had no motivation to read the 165 pages about SEO considering that SEO is (was) something i know absolutely nothing about besides one person's one sentence referring to applying that i came across one time.

lazy of me to ask for a personal response to my question that has probably been asked in a million ways on this forum and others? yes, very lazy. heck, i'll even take ignorant when a google search would have sufficed.

stating that i have some type of attitude is insinuating that i am aware of what this is & i am dismissively ungrateful. that's like me being unpleased that you aren't thrilled about the invite you received from GLAU (something i just made up that you haven't heard about) because that's what SEO was to me. I knew nothing about it.

thanks for understanding tosh, and i guess this reply was somewhat unnecessary since you became a little more understanding, mandy.

anyways, this isn't the place for my misery amongst all the celebration which i love LOVE LOVE.

i'll be back if and only if i have some positive personal news to share and I will definitely pop in to congratulate everyone on their successes and attempt to uplift those who aren't getting the results they hoped for.

AFRICANGAL --- yep. those are my stats. my last glimmer of hope is that i haven't heard from those two schools (columbia & nyu) as well as stanford (yea right) or cornell (again, yea right). but almost everywhere else i applied and was rejected from to is ranked lower than the 4 I am waiting to hear from ... i have read that acceptance isn't strictly based on the school ranking so, i still have some hope.

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mt2165 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Pozzy wrote:i'm on my iPhone so this is sure to be a grammatical, punctuation & structural scattered nightmare.

mandy & mt2165 (2156?)

priority for all (most?) of us, including me, is getting in to law school. if law school (1L) isn't the goal, then SEO (0L) becomes irrelevant. after spending countless hours reading forums and official info about the LSAT, forums and official info about GPA, forums and official stats about Law School chances, reading law school websites, LSN, and bucket loads of indirect and direct sources of info about actual law school .... after doing all of that but not having my results not reflect the info i read ...... no, i had no motivation to read the 165 pages about SEO considering that SEO is (was) something i know absolutely nothing about besides one person's one sentence referring to applying that i came across one time.

lazy of me to ask for a personal response to my question that has probably been asked in a million ways on this forum and others? yes, very lazy. heck, i'll even take ignorant when a google search would have sufficed.

stating that i have some type of attitude is insinuating that i am aware of what this is & i am dismissively ungrateful. that's like me being unpleased that you aren't thrilled about the invite you received from GLAU (something i just made up that you haven't heard about) because that's what SEO was to me. I knew nothing about it.

thanks for understanding tosh, and i guess this reply was somewhat unnecessary since you became a little more understanding, mandy.

anyways, this isn't the place for my misery amongst all the celebration which i love LOVE LOVE.

i'll be back if and only if i have some positive personal news to share and I will definitely pop in to congratulate everyone on their successes and attempt to uplift those who aren't getting the results they hoped for.

AFRICANGAL --- yep. those are my stats. my last glimmer of hope is that i haven't heard from those two schools (columbia & nyu) as well as stanford (yea right) or cornell (again, yea right). but almost everywhere else i applied and was rejected from to is ranked lower than the 4 I am waiting to hear from ... i have read that acceptance isn't strictly based on the school ranking so, i still have some hope.


Yeah sorry, my cycle hasn't been the best I understand where you're coming from, my point was just that SEO is a great opportunity. But yeah your stats are solid (look at my results) you have a solid chance at some lower t14s! Don't lose hope!!

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Pozzy, I totally didn't realize your situation. I know it will get better for the last group of schools.

User avatar
BobMoses
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BobMoses » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:09 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Nice! Congrats on making the call. I just have one more visit next week before I'm certain, but Berkeley is looking great for me at this point. If you could send a PM and let me know what made Berkeley the place for you it would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
coolbean2013
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby coolbean2013 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:26 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats!!

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:
isaiah1992 wrote:Officially committed to Berkeley today. I'm taking my talents to the bay area!!!! Lol


Congrats! What made you pick Berkeley?


It's a long list so I'll PM you.


CONGRATS!

PM me too please!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests