URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mt2165 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:50 am

El Principe wrote:
mt2165 wrote:For the first time ever I'm thinking long and hard about sitting out this cycle and retaking. Kinda scary.


Didn't have any schools that threw $$$?

Think long and hard about your goals and what you really want to do before you decide to wait a year and retake.

Me, I was gonna sit, but I got more of an offer than my #s warranted, so I'm lucky. Couldn't pass it up tbh.


Yeah, I have a full ride from a T20 and 90k notably from Vandy. I'm still waiting on some lower T14s where I think I'd be eligible for some scholarship, and on the other side of the spectrum I'm in at columbia (presumably sticker or damn close). I really don't want biglaw but what I do want is still almost equally competitive so I'm not sure how to factor that in.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 am

mt2165 wrote:
El Principe wrote:
mt2165 wrote:For the first time ever I'm thinking long and hard about sitting out this cycle and retaking. Kinda scary.


Didn't have any schools that threw $$$?

Think long and hard about your goals and what you really want to do before you decide to wait a year and retake.

Me, I was gonna sit, but I got more of an offer than my #s warranted, so I'm lucky. Couldn't pass it up tbh.


Yeah, I have a full ride from a T20 and 90k notably from Vandy. I'm still waiting on some lower T14s where I think I'd be eligible for some scholarship, and on the other side of the spectrum I'm in at columbia (presumably sticker or damn close). I really don't want biglaw but what I do want is still almost equally competitive so I'm not sure how to factor that in.


Well, if you're dead set on a career (I'm assuming a specific type of PI) that requires a high ranked school, then I suppose retaking should be a serious option.

Me, I'm unique in the sense that I (a) am not really particular about what specialty/area/job type so long as I can make a comfortable living and (b) I have ZERO intention of ever living in New York, Chicago, Boston, Philly, etc. Maybe there's a case for DC which requires high grades (regardless of rank), but I still cringe at the thought of the cold weather. TX/CA only for me.

So from my perspective, it's easy to pass on a T14 @ sticker when a T14-20 throws money at you.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:02 pm

I just deposited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

californiauser
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Has SEO accepted anyone yet?

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mt2165 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:21 pm

El Principe wrote:I just deposited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Congrats El! Gotta be a good feeling! I'm jealous :x

Kool-Aid
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Kool-Aid » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 pm

El Principe wrote:I just deposited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Classmates?!?

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
El Principe wrote:I just deposited! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Classmates?!?


Seems so!

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 pm

All's Quiet on the Western Front....

mac2013
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mac2013 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm

El Principe where are you going? Congrats on making the big decision!

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:45 pm

mac2013 wrote:El Principe where are you going? Congrats on making the big decision!


I'm taking my talents to South Bea... I mean, University of Texas. Can't beat the offer they gave me with my numbers.

I'll still ride out my T14 wait lists and holds, and maybe retake in June for a shot at money from Texas.

User avatar
teampeeta
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby teampeeta » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:13 pm

Anyone still waiting on HYS and feeling optimistic? I feel like I need to play "Happy" by Pharrell Williams for all the adcomms preferably accompanied by a flash mob.

User avatar
nabadgelyo
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby nabadgelyo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 pm

El Principe wrote:
mac2013 wrote:El Principe where are you going? Congrats on making the big decision!


I'm taking my talents to South Bea... I mean, University of Texas. Can't beat the offer they gave me with my numbers.

I'll still ride out my T14 wait lists and holds, and maybe retake in June for a shot at money from Texas.



:D

Congrats on making a decision!

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Congrats everyone that's made a decision! And best of luck to everyone still struggling with making one.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

How many ppl ITT are still waiting on Stanford?

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby August Wilson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:How many ppl ITT are still waiting on Stanford?

me

User avatar
Brettanomyces
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Brettanomyces » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm

August Wilson wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:How many ppl ITT are still waiting on Stanford?

me


Yo tambien.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:How many ppl ITT are still waiting on Stanford?


Yup.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Cocoblues » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:How many ppl ITT are still waiting on Stanford?

me


Yo tambien.


Et moi aussi.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby twenty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Still waiting on Stanford, but just got dinged at H.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Cocoblues » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:31 pm

twenty wrote:Still waiting on Stanford, but just got dinged at H.


Today? Sorry to hear that. I thought they were done with ding waves last week. :(

User avatar
calle_25
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby calle_25 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
August Wilson wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:How many ppl ITT are still waiting on Stanford?

me


Yo tambien.


Et moi aussi.

What they said.

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mt2165 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 pm

Finally in at cornell!

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm

mt2165 wrote:Finally in at cornell!


Congrats!

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm

mt2165 wrote:Finally in at cornell!


Congrats!!!

User avatar
Brettanomyces
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Brettanomyces » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm

mt2165 wrote:Finally in at cornell!


Congrats!

Great news.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest