URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
AAJD2B

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

EvMont wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:In at Stanford. West Coast is still the Best Coast!

But FAYE!!!! WHY DID YOU TAKE SO LONG? :cry:

Haha Congrats, Jodie! I believe Faye would say: "Better late that never."

:lol: :lol: Ditto. Much congrats, Jodi!!!

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Am I the only one who's scared to fully pursue PI because I feel like I'm going to screw myself as far as debt? I just keep having visions of me in my 3L year, with decent grades, could clearly get Big Law, yet I've been gunning for PI and have no job offers.... :cry:

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm

toshiroh wrote:Am I the only one who's scared to fully pursue PI because I feel like I'm going to screw myself as far as debt? I just keep having visions of me in my 3L year, with decent grades, could clearly get Big Law, yet I've been gunning for PI and have no job offers.... :cry:

Well my answer isn't going to make you feel any better because I know a URM from Harvard who is in this exact position.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:29 pm

El Principe wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Am I the only one who's scared to fully pursue PI because I feel like I'm going to screw myself as far as debt? I just keep having visions of me in my 3L year, with decent grades, could clearly get Big Law, yet I've been gunning for PI and have no job offers.... :cry:

Well my answer isn't going to make you feel any better because I know a URM from Harvard who is in this exact position.

what? how? why? whaa

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Exactly. I'm hoping that at the top schools between the availability of postgrad funding/fellowships, LRAP's, and summer internship opportunities, if you gun for PI w decent success you'll be fine. I think I'm gunna PM you cause have the EXACT same sentiments.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Congrats, Jodie! HYS is a big deal!

logicspeaks

Postby logicspeaks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:36 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
El Principe wrote:

what? how? why? whaa

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:37 pm

El Principe wrote:

SEE!!!!!!!

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Swag Jodie! Congrats!!

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:46 pm

mt2165 wrote:

Exactly. I'm hoping that at the top schools between the availability of postgrad funding/fellowships, LRAP's, and summer internship opportunities, if you gun for PI w decent success you'll be fine. I think I'm gunna PM you cause have the EXACT same sentiments.

Yeah, I'm hoping. But it's hard to even find decent PI success stories because it's such a minority of people in this forum who are actually pursuing such positions.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:47 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
El Principe wrote:

what? how? why? whaa

Dude's interested in humans rights work (think gitmo)... I think all of the info that I got from them about their situation is in an email that I can't access because the account is shut down but.... the most recent thing I've heard from them is just difficulty in getting a grant to do their work. I can't remember whether or not they said they wish they did biglaw instead, but I do distinctly remember them being bitter about the debt.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Actually kinda scares me because I'm thinking about doing PI more and more, but I'm likely not going to a T14.

dreamerchic19

Postby dreamerchic19 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:49 pm

toshiroh wrote:
El Principe wrote:

SEE!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: lol

calle_25

Postby calle_25 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm not scared to pursue PI because it's what I'm meant to do. What I am scared of is soul-crushing debt. I'm thinking very hard about my options and how I can maximize career prospects while minimizing debt. The debt is real, and proposed changes to loan forgiveness warrant serious considerations. If you are meant to work in PI, don't second guess yourself, just think long and hard about your school choice. Being stuck in a high-paying, soul-crushing job you hate is just as bad as debt.

Also, congrats everyone on the recent good news!

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:57 pm

calle_25 wrote:

I'm not scared to pursue PI because it's what I'm meant to do. What I am scared of is soul-crushing debt. I'm thinking very hard about my options and how I can maximize career prospects while minimizing debt. The debt is real, and proposed changes to loan forgiveness warrant serious considerations. If you are meant to work in PI, don't second guess yourself, just think long and hard about your school choice. Being stuck in a high-paying, soul-crushing job you hate is just as bad as debt.

+1 on this. I want to be a lawyer because I want to do PI, period. My specific area is pretty depressing if one isn't committed, but I think that if you are truly motivated to do this work and don't care about wealth, it's worth it. I understand qualms about debt though, and I don't mean to discount anyone's worries.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Congrats on Stanford Jodie thats amazing. I would post you a gif but on my way to staff meeting. Congrats again though swaggin this cycle!!!

coolbean2013

Postby coolbean2013 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Congrats Jodie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:12 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
calle_25 wrote:

+1 on this. I want to be a lawyer because I want to do PI, period. My specific area is pretty depressing if one isn't committed, but I think that if you are truly motivated to do this work and don't care about wealth, it's worth it. I understand qualms about debt though, and I don't mean to discount anyone's worries.

+100 encouraging real stuff, I have to concur

coolbean2013

Postby coolbean2013 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Anyone going to Duke's ASW?

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Congrats to everyone who just got into Stanford! I hope this wasn't the mythical March-April URM wave and now Stanford is done accepting people.

And Jodie, your cycle has been amazing. I would post a gif of someone wiping the dirt off their shoulders or a big broom, but alas, my phone is about to die. Save some acceptances for the rest of us, will you?

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 pm

congrats jodie!

and just read a few pages back - congrats to ev on harvard!

:D :D :D :D :D

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 pm

You shouldnt be. I plan to pursue PI because it is genuinely what I want to do with my life as i'm sure you do as well. So if you gun for it and things don't initially go your way at least you can live with yourself knowing you followed your passion.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Quan292 wrote:

You shouldnt be. I plan to pursue PI because it is genuinely what I want to do with my life as i'm sure you do as well. So if you gun for it and things don't initially go your way at least you can live with yourself knowing you followed your passion.

mt2165 wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote:
calle_25 wrote:

+100 encouraging real stuff, I have to concur

wow
much public
many interest.
so altruist
very service
many passion
less competition for gohan
cash moves everything around me
get money
future cashmoney gohan
dolla dolla bill y'all
wow

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Jodiiiiiiii congrats!!!!!!!!! Man, look at you!!!

Gohan, lmao lmao! I can't, but I can.

Trippel

Postby Trippel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:29 pm

Congrats on Stanford, Jodie!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”