URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:40 pm

toshiroh wrote:Congrats to everyone as well. I just got in a huge argument with my mom because I told her I was thinking about bowing out of this cycle and retaking the LSAT. Her reaction was pretty :roll:

She just doesn't get it.
I may do the same and take the December test. I am not completely sure as of yet. I really don't want to sit out another cycle but I might just do it. However, I am on the other side of the spectrum. I am trying to rush to go into school while my dad is all take your time law school will always be there.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:43 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Congrats to everyone as well. I just got in a huge argument with my mom because I told her I was thinking about bowing out of this cycle and retaking the LSAT. Her reaction was pretty :roll:

She just doesn't get it.
I may do the same and take the December test. I am not completely sure as of yet. I really don't want to sit out another cycle but I might just do it. However, I am on the other side of the spectrum. I am trying to rush to go into school while my dad is all take your time law school will always be there.
Oh believe me. Apart of me wants to rush and just go to NYU and who cares if I get any money from them. Then another part is like, a few more points will do miracles for scholarships. It's a tough decision. I just need to meditate on it.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Oh dinged from Upenn, by the way. My weird cycle gets weirder lol.

ThePiedPiper

Bronze

Post by ThePiedPiper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm

toshiroh wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

She just doesn't get it.
Oh believe me. Apart of me wants to rush and just go to NYU and who cares if I get any money from them. Then another part is like, a few more points will do miracles for scholarships. It's a tough decision. I just need to meditate on it.
I hear you on that one. That is actually what I have been doing for the past few days. I've really been in deep thought myself the last couple of days.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Held at Northwestern. I'm trying not to laugh. Can I have my money back, please? Smh.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:33 pm

teampeeta wrote:Held at Northwestern. I'm trying not to laugh. Can I have my money back, please? Smh.
I know that feel bro. =/

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:39 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
teampeeta wrote:Held at Northwestern. I'm trying not to laugh. Can I have my money back, please? Smh.
I know that feel bro. =/
Aren't you like 175+ LSAT and AA?

That's just silly.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
I know that feel bro. =/

That's just silly.
I am 170s and AA, yeah. Whatever. I'm really kind of ambivalent about the decision anyway. I liked NW, but I don't want to wait until May or whenever to be reconsidered.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:49 pm

teampeeta wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
I know that feel bro. =/

That's just silly.
I am 170s and AA, yeah. Whatever. I'm really kind of ambivalent about the decision anyway. I liked NW, but I don't want to wait until May or whenever to be reconsidered.
Yeah, that's a bummer. I really liked Duke and then they PR'd me. I guess I should have written a "Why Duke?" I don't think I'm willing to wait until forever to hear if I'm in.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Got rejected to WUSTL, Loyola Chi, and Miami today

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm

BankruptMe wrote:Got rejected to WUSTL, Loyola Chi, and Miami today
I'm usually strongly against suggesting retakes. But have you thought about retaking the LSAT?

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I just got into Northwestern!! I didn't think I would get in at all but I'm so happy! This is almost surreal! My first acceptance of the cycle at one of my top choices :)

I really didn't think I would get in because I'm K-JD, I applied late, I didn't interview, and have no work experience at all. I'm guessing my Why NU? must have been what pushed me over the edge. I feel so blessed!! :)

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Congrats lemons!!!

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Congrats lemons!!!
Thanks! I'm unbelievably excited! I think this might be where I am spending the next three years :)

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

lemons wrote:I just got into Northwestern!! I didn't think I would get in at all but I'm so happy! This is almost surreal! My first acceptance of the cycle at one of my top choices :)

I really didn't think I would get in because I'm K-JD, I applied late, I didn't interview, and have no work experience at all. I'm guessing my Why NU? must have been what pushed me over the edge. I feel so blessed!! :)
Congrats!! Will you be attending Diversity/ASW from April 3-6?

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:56 pm

lemons wrote:I just got into Northwestern!! I didn't think I would get in at all but I'm so happy! This is almost surreal! My first acceptance of the cycle at one of my top choices :)

Congrats!!

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

toshiroh wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

She just doesn't get it.
Have you considered retaking in June and depositing at your top choice. Honestly, you'd be surprised how many people get scholarships despite being below 25ths, so unless they've told you you're getting nothing, I'd take the best COA/job prospect balance, deposit, and retake June.

Believe me, I wanted to take as long as possible to study, but a pretty good offer at my top choice was basically one I can't refuse, so I might as well take my chances.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Cheer up. At least y'all didn't get WL'ed at Georgetown like me :lol:

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 pm

AAJD2B wrote: Congrats!! Will you be attending Diversity/ASW from April 3-6?
El Principe wrote: Congrats!!
Thanks! :)

I'm hoping to be able to go to the Diversity/ASW. I'm trying to find a flight but flights from CA to Chitown are a bit expensive. But I should be able to cut down on costs by staying with my brother (if he lets me haha).

Are you going to attend?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:10 pm

lemons wrote:

I'm hoping to be able to go to the Diversity/ASW. I'm trying to find a flight but flights from CA to Chitown are a bit expensive. But I should be able to cut down on costs by staying with my brother (if he lets me haha).

Are you going to attend?
Yup, I will definitely be there. They have a full schedule for us:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... index.html

A few others in this thread will also be attending, I think. Hope to see you there!!!

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 pm

AAJD2B wrote: Yup, I will definitely be there. They have a full schedule for us:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... index.html

A few others in this thread will also be attending, I think. Hope to see you there!!!
Great! I'm ridiculously excited haha I didn't realize there was a Diverse Students Day until your post haha I'll definitely let you all know if I end up attending :)

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Congrats Lemons!!!! And if I missed anyone else congrats to you too!!! I'm so proud of the URMs this cycle!

P.S. Everyone please update LSN or make an account.

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 pm

lemons wrote:

Are you going to attend?
So NW does not book a hotel room for attendees? :shock:
Ucla does and I thought it was standard

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 pm

applelover wrote:P.S. Everyone please update LSN or make an account.
This.

LSN was an invaluable resource for me, and us URMs can use all the data we can get.

coolbean2013

Bronze

Post by coolbean2013 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:27 am

Congrats Lemons on Northwestern!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”