URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
t-14orbust

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:26 pm

rion91 wrote:Any of you guys cracked open getting to maybe, LEEWS, etc?

Lawl no I have not. I have cracked open plenty of beers though. Gotta get my tolerance up to law school standards yee dig?

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Did anyone with natural and/or naturally curly hair straighten their hair for their SEO interview?

LawSchoolOrNah

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Anyone here going to the HLS ASW in April?

-dasein-

Postby -dasein- » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 pm

I can finally partake in this thread without suffering an anxiety attack.
Last edited by -dasein- on Fri May 02, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Congrats on all the acceptances today!!!!!!!

If you did not get $$ from Columbia, you can still receive fin aid later. Only Butler and Hamilton Scholarships are included in the initial letter.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 pm

applelover wrote:Congrats on all the acceptances today!!!!!!!

+1

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:48 pm

applelover wrote:Did anyone with natural and/or naturally curly hair straighten their hair for their SEO interview?

definitely hoping someone responds to this.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Can someone link me to the 2015 usnews rankings with the medians included? Maybe I'm just being pitiful but I can't seem to find them

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 pm

applelover wrote:
applelover wrote:Did anyone with natural and/or naturally curly hair straighten their hair for their SEO interview?

I haven't interviewed, but I don't think you need to straighten your hair, especially if it's not in-person. I'd focus on making sure it looks neat and super professional.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 pm

EvMont wrote:
applelover wrote:

I haven't interviewed, but I don't think you need to straighten your hair, especially if it's not in-person. I'd focus on making sure it looks neat and super professional.

Thanks Ev!

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 pm

rion91 wrote:Any of you guys cracked open getting to maybe, LEEWS, etc?

Id wait till closer to the end of summer if I were you. Youll probably forget it if you read it now.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Still waiting. Starting to lose hope.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 pm

I am natural and wore my hair naturally. Why conform to something that isn't you? Besides, my interviewer had not only natural hair, but a natural 'fro.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

I am natural and wore my hair naturally. Why conform to something that isn't you? Besides, my interviewer had not only natural hair, but a natural 'fro.

I saw people discussing it earlier ITT and I was wondering what their final decision was.

I wear my hair straight about every other week, and I prefer to have it straight, so it's not really conforming for me. I just don't feel like straightening it within next few days because I'd have to go and borrow someone else's flat iron until my mine arrives.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm

My Vandy reception was VERY convincing. Seriously, I've never witnessed such a happier bunch of lawyers where most everyone knew each other. A family, it seemed like. Folks were reminiscing about their experiences and all seemed to love it. There were Vandy attorneys from several law firms, including Sullivan & Cromwell, Proskauer Rose, Hogan Lovells, O'Melveny [deleted], Wilkie Farr, Shearman and Sterling, Goldman Sachs....all of whom were interested to listen and hear more about me. Many were recent grads who found placement in NYC. Very smart group of people. I know Vandy isn't as strong in employment placements as the T14s, but man did this reception make it that more difficult for me to decide.

Oh, and there was like one black attorney and Vandy alum, I think. Not many minorities showed up, though we were well represented as admitted students. I would say a good 10 of us, or so, including other URM groups.

Anyway, tough decisions are ahead :cry:

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm

AAJD2B wrote:My Vandy reception was VERY convincing. Seriously, I've never witnessed such a happier bunch of lawyers where most everyone knew each other. A family, it seemed like. Folks were reminiscing about their experiences and all seemed to love it. There were Vandy attorneys from several law firms, including Sullivan & Cromwell, Proskauer Rose, Hogan Lovells, O'Melveny [deleted], Wilkie Farr, Shearman and Sterling, Goldman Sachs....all of whom were interested to listen and hear more about me. Many were recent grads who found placement in NYC. Very smart group of people. I know Vandy isn't as strong in employment placements as the T14s, but man did this reception make it that more difficult for me to decide.

Oh, and there was like one black attorney and Vandy alum, I think. Not many minorities showed up, though we were well represented as admitted students. I would say a good 10 of us, or so, including other URM groups.

Are you leaning more towards Vanderbilt than Cornell now?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I saw people discussing it earlier ITT and I was wondering what their final decision was.

I wear my hair straight about every other week, and I prefer to have it straight, so it's not really conforming for me. I just don't feel like straightening it within next few days because I'd have to go and borrow someone else's flat iron until my mine arrives.

I thought you currently wore a weave? Weren't you asking about Brazilian hair recently?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:My Vandy reception was VERY convincing. Seriously, I've never witnessed such a happier bunch of lawyers where most everyone knew each other. A family, it seemed like. Folks were reminiscing about their experiences and all seemed to love it. There were Vandy attorneys from several law firms, including Sullivan & Cromwell, Proskauer Rose, Hogan Lovells, O'Melveny [deleted], Wilkie Farr, Shearman and Sterling, Goldman Sachs....all of whom were interested to listen and hear more about me. Many were recent grads who found placement in NYC. Very smart group of people. I know Vandy isn't as strong in employment placements as the T14s, but man did this reception make it that more difficult for me to decide.

Cornell needs to show me the money.

Honestly, NU is also in the running. I will visit both schools in April and them decide.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I thought you currently wore a weave? Weren't you asking about Brazilian hair recently?

lol that was almost two months ago. The weave was a three week trial. I didn't really like it for me. Im glad I gave it a chance though.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:

Honestly, NU is also in the running. I will visit both schools in April and them decide.

Is aid the most important factor in your decision?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm

applelover wrote:lol that was almost two months ago. The weave was a three week trial. I didn't really like it for me. Im glad I gave it a chance though.

LOL okay. But don't give up on it yet. There are some great weaves out there. I am thinking of blending it in with my natural hair. I know they have the kinky weave available for any curl pattern. Or you can half wig it. There are so many options. For kinky curly, Onyc is great.

Anyway good luck on your interview!

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:lol that was almost two months ago. The weave was a three week trial. I didn't really like it for me. Im glad I gave it a chance though.

LOL okay. But don't give up on it yet. There are some great weaves out there. I am thinking of blending it in with my natural hair. I know they have the kinky weave available for any curl pattern. Or you can half wig it. There are so many options. For kinky curly, Onyc is great.

Anyway good luck on your interview!

Thank you!!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:

Is aid the most important factor in your decision?

Yes ma'am. That and fit. Forgive me if I sound cocky, but my work experience will be greatly beneficial and place me ahead of the game for BIGLAW interviews. I don't think I can go wrong with an NU, Cornell or Vandy degree + my WE, so money matters here and not rankings is much.

That said, I want versatility and NU is the best for that with their stellar placement in Chicago, NY and Cali. Conversely Cornell seems to really value it's diverse students and I love the suburban/town setting over city life, which I am tired of.

Like I said, tough decisions ahead.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 am

I was set on Texas, but I'm hearing so many good things about Vandy. I'm seriously considering going to the ASW in April if they'll still reimburse plane tickets.

Tomorrow's my day off, so I'll call and check and see how that process goes.

With a strong aid package and/or a Law Scholars Award, Vandy could go right back on top of the list. I think Vandy could work well for you. I hear they do quite well in NYC, plus you have ties and pertinent work experience, so perhaps that helps too. Small class sizes.

And I don't know how Vandy's lay prestige is in NY, but down here in the South, people think I'm a god for getting a scholarship there. So there's that...

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 pm

applelover wrote:

I just got my SEO interview request! I am going in with my natural twists. The picture I sent them had natural hair, so I see no reason to alter it.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”