URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:18 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:Hi everyone! Just wanted to jump in and say if any of you have questions about Cornell and have been accepted, please shoot me a PM. Best of luck w/ all of your cycles!


Just wanted to say you've been a great resource of information to me. I look forward to seeing you for Diversity Weekend!!

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mt2165 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:19 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!


Yeah they're stingy.....they want it ALL

kenwash
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby kenwash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!

I have an IRA and didn't have this issue.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

kenwash wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!

I have an IRA and didn't have this issue.


Interesting. Perhaps its based on the amount in one's retirement accounts?

alllaweverything
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby alllaweverything » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!

I have an IRA and didn't have this issue.


Interesting. Perhaps its based on the amount in one's retirement accounts?


i really hope this doesn't end up being the case for me, and thankfully i haven't yet been forced to field any questions about my IRA. if it comes down to it, i guess i'll have to dip into it, but i'd really prefer not to. i'm already in a tax rut from having withdrawn early before.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:55 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!

I have an IRA and didn't have this issue.


Interesting. Perhaps its based on the amount in one's retirement accounts?


i really hope this doesn't end up being the case for me, and thankfully i haven't yet been forced to field any questions about my IRA. if it comes down to it, i guess i'll have to dip into it, but i'd really prefer not to. i'm already in a tax rut from having withdrawn early before.


Yes, I think we have to mention it on the NeedAccess application, they ask something about how much you have in an IRA/401K/Roth etc. as part of the student information form. :?

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!


What the harvard mbas do is drain their accounts 6 months before apps, shift the money to their parents, change over the titles on investments to other people and claim 0 dollars.

They then are eligible for need based aid, get that + student loans and go buy bmws and stuff. You should have done the same. lol

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 pm

First result: waitlisted at safety

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Interestingly enough, I drained my 401K before I applied for law school, but that was inadvertently. I didn't even consider the fact that it could impact financial aid.

User avatar
AlexVee
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:30 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AlexVee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!


What the harvard mbas do is drain their accounts 6 months before apps, shift the money to their parents, change over the titles on investments to other people and claim 0 dollars.

They then are eligible for need based aid, get that + student loans and go buy bmws and stuff. You should have done the same. lol

0L lurker checking in....would this actually work?

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 pm

AlexVee wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!


What the harvard mbas do is drain their accounts 6 months before apps, shift the money to their parents, change over the titles on investments to other people and claim 0 dollars.

They then are eligible for need based aid, get that + student loans and go buy bmws and stuff. You should have done the same. lol

0L lurker checking in....would this actually work?


It does. I would do it a year in advance, but yea

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 am

Was up late after work drilling some LG sections and... I'm really starting to get a hang of them; knocking out some of the difficult problems with little problem. Feeling pretty confident about retaking this June if I can keep this going. Might even be able to score high enough to sit out a cycle.

User avatar
logicspeaks
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby logicspeaks » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 am

El Principe wrote:Was up late after work drilling some LG sections and... I'm really starting to get a hang of them; knocking out some of the difficult problems with little problem. Feeling pretty confident about retaking this June if I can keep this going. Might even be able to score high enough to sit out a cycle.

You can and will keep going, I'm sure of it. Once games start to click they get easier and easier and eventually even become FUN. I hope to see you keep pushing!

alllaweverything
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby alllaweverything » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 am

BankruptMe wrote:
AlexVee wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So since we're talking financial aid, is anyone else being considered not-in-need because they have a 401k or retirement account??

Michigan asked me a few questions, I answered as honestly as I could and I am considered wealthy enough to afford law school. So one must have no savings and no retirement accounts to be considered worthy of having grant aid?

UGH. I am withdrawing from them this week.

I pray the two schools I am considering attending would not use this against me. Don't I have a right to have something that I've earned these past few years in the workforce? Not that any of it will be touched for law school, but dang...throw a sista a bone!


What the harvard mbas do is drain their accounts 6 months before apps, shift the money to their parents, change over the titles on investments to other people and claim 0 dollars.

They then are eligible for need based aid, get that + student loans and go buy bmws and stuff. You should have done the same. lol

0L lurker checking in....would this actually work?


It does. I would do it a year in advance, but yea


damn.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:41 am

logicspeaks wrote:
El Principe wrote:Was up late after work drilling some LG sections and... I'm really starting to get a hang of them; knocking out some of the difficult problems with little problem. Feeling pretty confident about retaking this June if I can keep this going. Might even be able to score high enough to sit out a cycle.

You can and will keep going, I'm sure of it. Once games start to click they get easier and easier and eventually even become FUN. I hope to see you keep pushing!


+1 I went up 15 points from my first PT mostly because I mastered LG and started doing them for fun.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:40 pm

Yeah... I'm feeling pretty good about it. Just have to learn to manage my time and get some studying in during lunch/breaks/before/afterwork/etc. Practice testing's going to be the hard part. I have to close everyday. Retail management <<<.

In other words, students from University of Houston's admitted students FB page are panicking about Houston's drop into Tier 2. :lol:

I want to explain to them that, honestly, a #58 JD from Houston is better for Texan employers than a #24 JD from William & Mary, so the rankings are irrelevant. However to fully explain myself, I'd probably also have to explain how T14 Texans, UT/Vandy, & perhaps WUSTL graduates are first in line, and I'm not sure that's what they need to hear right now.

wlee1220
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:13 pm

Hey guys I just got my offer from Rutgers-C. 10k/yr. I sent my Temple offer to negotiate along with an email since they are peers but do you also think it makes any sense to note my Vanderbilt offer?

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:18 pm

wlee1220 wrote:Hey guys I just got my offer from Rutgers-C. 10k/yr. I sent my Temple offer to negotiate along with an email since they are peers but do you also think it makes any sense to note my Vanderbilt offer?



I suppose if you're not waiting for any acceptances/offers from schools closer ranked to Vanderbilt, then why not. In that case you have nothing to lose.

However, I'm gonna guess Vandy doesn't see Rutgers as a peer school, so not only may they not budge, but they may be less inclined to take you seriously if, at a later date, you in fact do send an offer from a peer school.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:22 pm

El Principe wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:Hey guys I just got my offer from Rutgers-C. 10k/yr. I sent my Temple offer to negotiate along with an email since they are peers but do you also think it makes any sense to note my Vanderbilt offer?



I suppose if you're not waiting for any acceptances/offers from schools closer ranked to Vanderbilt, then why not. In that case you have nothing to lose.

However, I'm gonna guess Vandy doesn't see Rutgers as a peer school, so not only may they not budge, but they may be less inclined to take you seriously if, at a later date, you in fact do send an offer from a peer school.



Hmm I think he is saying that he is sending his Vandy and Temple offers to Rutgers, which I think will work. I would note Vandy because that would give them an incentive to go up since you are wanted at a higher ranked school. Good luck!

wlee1220
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:27 pm

El Principe wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:Hey guys I just got my offer from Rutgers-C. 10k/yr. I sent my Temple offer to negotiate along with an email since they are peers but do you also think it makes any sense to note my Vanderbilt offer?



I suppose if you're not waiting for any acceptances/offers from schools closer ranked to Vanderbilt, then why not. In that case you have nothing to lose.

However, I'm gonna guess Vandy doesn't see Rutgers as a peer school, so not only may they not budge, but they may be less inclined to take you seriously if, at a later date, you in fact do send an offer from a peer school.


I mean I am planning to share my Vandy scholarship with Rutgers. I have no intention of negotiating with Vandy themselves until I hear back from the t14s I applied to. I'm basically pissed I got so little from Rutgers but I didn't want to come off asshole-ish.

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 pm

wlee1220 wrote:
El Principe wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:Hey guys I just got my offer from Rutgers-C. 10k/yr. I sent my Temple offer to negotiate along with an email since they are peers but do you also think it makes any sense to note my Vanderbilt offer?



I suppose if you're not waiting for any acceptances/offers from schools closer ranked to Vanderbilt, then why not. In that case you have nothing to lose.

However, I'm gonna guess Vandy doesn't see Rutgers as a peer school, so not only may they not budge, but they may be less inclined to take you seriously if, at a later date, you in fact do send an offer from a peer school.


I mean I am planning to share my Vandy scholarship with Rutgers. I have no intention of negotiating with Vandy themselves until I hear back from the t14s I applied to. I'm basically pissed I got so little from Rutgers but I didn't want to come off asshole-ish.


Yeah, it's always the smaller schools that give the troll offers. On the bright side, out of the 7 attorneys I know in Big Law, 4 of them went to Rutgers. Which is kind of odd when I think about it.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:34 pm

wlee1220 wrote:
El Principe wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:Hey guys I just got my offer from Rutgers-C. 10k/yr. I sent my Temple offer to negotiate along with an email since they are peers but do you also think it makes any sense to note my Vanderbilt offer?



I suppose if you're not waiting for any acceptances/offers from schools closer ranked to Vanderbilt, then why not. In that case you have nothing to lose.

However, I'm gonna guess Vandy doesn't see Rutgers as a peer school, so not only may they not budge, but they may be less inclined to take you seriously if, at a later date, you in fact do send an offer from a peer school.


I mean I am planning to share my Vandy scholarship with Rutgers. I have no intention of negotiating with Vandy themselves until I hear back from the t14s I applied to. I'm basically pissed I got so little from Rutgers but I didn't want to come off asshole-ish.


Oh, sorry. Read that too fast. Well in that case, I'd send it. Just spin it to make the focus on making Rutgers more affordable rather than using Vandy's offer to extort them. :mrgreen:

And like the guy above said, the smaller schools ABSOLUTELY troll you with offers.

LawSchoolOrNah
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Greatest week of my life. In at UMich yesterday, in at NYU via ASWebsite.

User avatar
ChuggaChuggaChooChoo
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ChuggaChuggaChooChoo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm

LawSchoolOrNah wrote:Greatest week of my life. In at UMich yesterday, in at NYU via ASWebsite.


Damn congrats homie....two days, two dope schools

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:19 pm

ChuggaChuggaChooChoo wrote:
LawSchoolOrNah wrote:Greatest week of my life. In at UMich yesterday, in at NYU via ASWebsite.


Damn congrats homie....two days, two dope schools




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest