URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Hrun
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Hrun » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Interesting new USNews rankings. Biggest jump was Emory, bumping by 4 slots. SLS is now #3 and UVA loses to Penn by -1 differential. GTown bumps by 1 to meet with Cornell. Duke now trumps Michigan to complete the T10 cutoff.


Duke and Michigan are tied for 10th.

Ben Reilly
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Ben Reilly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 pm

drawstring wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I have a few quick questions about Columbia:

1. Is their policy to just send out an acceptance letter without first giving the applicant a phone call?
2. Are all of the admitted students first invited for an interview? I know their site says that the interviews are given randomly, but I wasn't sure if they're only interviewing those candidates who they're seriously considering admitting.


1. Columbia doesn't call. Acceptances have come by both email and mail this cycle; it seems like they are increasingly coming by email at this point.
2. Most admitted students aren't invited to interview. I haven't looked at all the cases, but it seems like a large majority of those invited for an interview are accepted.


Ok cool. Thanks a lot for the response.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Hrun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Interesting new USNews rankings. Biggest jump was Emory, bumping by 4 slots. SLS is now #3 and UVA loses to Penn by -1 differential. GTown bumps by 1 to meet with Cornell. Duke now trumps Michigan to complete the T10 cutoff.


Duke and Michigan are tied for 10th.


Yeah but one of them is 11th and it's Michigan.

Ben Reilly
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Ben Reilly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Hrun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Interesting new USNews rankings. Biggest jump was Emory, bumping by 4 slots. SLS is now #3 and UVA loses to Penn by -1 differential. GTown bumps by 1 to meet with Cornell. Duke now trumps Michigan to complete the T10 cutoff.


Duke and Michigan are tied for 10th.


Yeah but one of them is 11th and it's Michigan.


Shots fired.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 pm

Jesus, W&L (-17) fell faster than American (-16)

W&M is definitely my number 1 school now. T25, 73% employment rate & Instate tuition...sexy, hopefully they think im sexy too

californiauser
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:55 pm

BankruptMe wrote:Jesus, W&L (-17) fell faster than American (-16)

W&M is definitely my number 1 school now. T25, 73% employment rate & Instate tuition...sexy, hopefully they think im sexy too


-20% for school funded jobs

they gamed the shit out of us news

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 pm

californiauser wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:Jesus, W&L (-17) fell faster than American (-16)

W&M is definitely my number 1 school now. T25, 73% employment rate & Instate tuition...sexy, hopefully they think im sexy too


-20% for school funded jobs

they gamed the shit out of us news


Oh wow, didnt look at that.

The ABA data comes out by like April 1 for all the schools. Will be interesting to see what happened last year

Hrun
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Hrun » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Hrun wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Interesting new USNews rankings. Biggest jump was Emory, bumping by 4 slots. SLS is now #3 and UVA loses to Penn by -1 differential. GTown bumps by 1 to meet with Cornell. Duke now trumps Michigan to complete the T10 cutoff.


Duke and Michigan are tied for 10th.


Yeah but one of them is 11th and it's Michigan.


Huh? When there is a tie, they list them in alphabetical order. But they are both listed at 10.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 am

USNews is a big joke. So you have 60 schools that can claim the top 50? LOL.

I am currently reading the book The Lawyer Bubble. The author talks about this. This ranking system is all politics that feeds into a system of greed and one-upmanship. And we, the prospective law students, the consumers, want it. Hell, we are willing to mortgage our future for it.

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:15 am

AAJD2B wrote:USNews is a big joke. So you have 60 schools that can claim the top 50? LOL.

I am currently reading the book The Lawyer Bubble. The author talks about this. This ranking system is all politics that feeds into a system of greed and one-upmanship. And we, the prospective law students, the consumers, want it. Hell, we are willing to mortgage our future for it.


I had planned to read this book ages ago, but I for all caught with work, and well...you know, refreshing my status checkers. :oops: But, Imma have to get back on it this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!

User avatar
MG95
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby MG95 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:31 am

.
Last edited by MG95 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:44 am

M_n_M wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:USNews is a big joke. So you have 60 schools that can claim the top 50? LOL.

I am currently reading the book The Lawyer Bubble. The author talks about this. This ranking system is all politics that feeds into a system of greed and one-upmanship. And we, the prospective law students, the consumers, want it. Hell, we are willing to mortgage our future for it.


That's not quite how that works, but thanks for playing.


And you are....?

Let me guess: a newly minted and recent Emory Law school graduate who should be spending more time working and less time galloping on TLS.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 am

EvMont wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:USNews is a big joke. So you have 60 schools that can claim the top 50? LOL.

I am currently reading the book The Lawyer Bubble. The author talks about this. This ranking system is all politics that feeds into a system of greed and one-upmanship. And we, the prospective law students, the consumers, want it. Hell, we are willing to mortgage our future for it.


I had planned to read this book ages ago, but I for all caught with work, and well...you know, refreshing my status checkers. :oops: But, Imma have to get back on it this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!


Yeah, it's a GREAT read thus far!

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am

AAJD2B wrote:
M_n_M wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:USNews is a big joke. So you have 60 schools that can claim the top 50? LOL.

I am currently reading the book The Lawyer Bubble. The author talks about this. This ranking system is all politics that feeds into a system of greed and one-upmanship. And we, the prospective law students, the consumers, want it. Hell, we are willing to mortgage our future for it.


That's not quite how that works, but thanks for playing.


And you are....?

Let me guess: a newly minted and recent Emory Law school graduate who should be spending more time working and less time galloping on TLS.


what's wrong with galloping?
Image
but he's right though there's only fitty

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?

californiauser
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:41 pm

okaygo wrote:Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?


speaking of, is there a list/thread with all of the schools' deposit deadlines?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 pm

okaygo wrote:Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?


I'm hoping to deposit before April 1. Really want to hear back from SEO lol but it's not worth rushing a decision.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:43 pm

californiauser wrote:
okaygo wrote:Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?


speaking of, is there a list/thread with all of the schools' deposit deadlines?


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225179

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:44 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
okaygo wrote:Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?


I'm hoping to deposit before April 1. Really want to hear back from SEO lol but it's not worth rushing a decision.


+1 I'm pretty sure I'll make a deposit between the next couple of weeks or so.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:46 pm

okaygo wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
okaygo wrote:Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?


I'm hoping to deposit before April 1. Really want to hear back from SEO lol but it's not worth rushing a decision.


+1 I'm pretty sure I'll make a deposit between the next couple of weeks or so.


I'm just waiting on aid from a few schools and a response from columbia and I'm right there with you.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Yeah I am waiting for like 2 more aid offers before I deposit. I'm trying to squeeze a few thousand more out of my top choice.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm

okaygo wrote:Has anyone ITT put down a seat deposit? Anyone close to doing so?


Very close, but need to see some $$$ first and visit schools. I will know by mid-April, but plan to update SEO of my plans by the end of this month if I don't get a second interview. Most SEO decisions didn't start going out until the end of April/early May last year.

Overall, I am happy it will be all over in a few weeks!

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Yeah I am waiting for like 2 more aid offers before I deposit. I'm trying to squeeze a few thousand more out of my top choice.


:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kenwash
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby kenwash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm waiting on pretty much ALL aid offers and decisions from two more schools, so I'm not even close.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 pm

kenwash wrote:I'm waiting on pretty much ALL aid offers and decisions from two more schools, so I'm not even close.


I'm still waiting to hear a decision from 7 schools :?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kolikotime and 5 guests