URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Has anyone looking to go into PI read Twenty's thread on the 2015 budget proposal.... :cry:

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm

toshiroh wrote:Has anyone looking to go into PI read Twenty's thread on the 2015 budget proposal.... :cry:

Link for all of those who may be interested. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225724

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:so when I lift one (ex: kerry) I lift them all, right?

Absolutely.

So it cancels out. Cool.

Tell me, Gohan, is this how we are viewed in America??

No, and that's the problem. Discrimination in this country is often rooted in the view of blacks as a monolith. That's what we should be moving away from.
The fact that blacks are treated like a monolith by many non-blacks and by discriminatory policies doesn't mean that said treatment is acceptable, nor does it mean that we should be embracing such treatment ourselves. Blacks are not a monolith, and shouldn't feel compelled to act like one because some ignorant/racist/discriminatory folks said they should.

Is this how the media views and treats us? What about law enforcement? Heck, even law school admissions in their dire attempt to have more black faces on their campus and communities. Black is black in America. A misstep by one is viewed as a misstep by all. A win for one, is a win for all. Serena Williams win the US Open, most black people rejoice. President Obama won the a Presidency, that's our win too.

Sure that's how the media sees things. That's how law enforcement policies see things. That's the precedent that slavery, Jim Crow and the one-drop rule helped to establish in the USA. I acknowledge that, but that doesn't mean that I consider that viewpoint to be legitimate. I can recognize when that perspective is being applied to myself and deal with it accordingly, but I'm not going to embrace it just because some other people said black people are all alike. I recognize that blacks can and should be judged as non-monolithic individuals, even if many non-blacks cannot do this.

I'm not just going to assume that all individuals of sub-Saharan African descent are the same just because certain ignorant, unrelated and often downright racist people have decided that we are.

Stereotypes came about because society take the example of few to label all. Your comment about Lupita is not just about Lupita but the many black women who are viewed "not as fine as" because of hair choice or skin color or whatever it is you believe defines fine-ness that Lupita does not possess.

There may be other black women like Lupita who will feel that, because of their similarity to her, critiques (and praises) of her apply to them.

My point is that these women are not ALL black women. Lupita Nyongo does not represent ALL black women, and it is therefore illogical to conclude that a less-than-glowing opinion of her is one that must necessarily apply to ALL black women.

Which begs of me to ask, what makes Lupita any less fine than Kerry?? What is it about her that makes her manly or like a footballer?? What makes her less feminine?? What standard are you using in judging the fine-o-meter of women, specifically black women??

Hair cut like a boy, face is just alright, body is trim (which is nice) but nothing stands out.

Like I said, 6/10 (maybe). She's alright, wouldn't stand out among the black girls on my campus much at all (and my school was not all that diverse).

Kerry has a similar body but a prettier face IMO, and a haircut that doesn't look like it belongs to one of my homies. 8/10*.

*: 0.25 bonus points included for her Jamaican heritage.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
Whatever, Gohan. Things have gone off the rails, and I'm as keen as anyone to end this discussion. I just wanted people to stop jumping in to make it known how they find a certain kind of women unattractive and how we all need to hear about it. You did feel like you absolutely *needed* to compare Lupita to not only another woman, but also a man (apropos of absolutely nothing) but I suppose it was part of your own complex, ineffable system of "respect" for "individuals."

well, certain people felt the need to make it known how they find a certain woman extremely attractive and how we all needed to hear about it. why aren't less favorable views of said individuals allowed as well? neither opinion is "absolutely *needed*", so why not welcome both in an open online discussion outside of the Eastern Bloc?

we were all good when the opinion being shared on this woman was positive, but as soon as a less-than-glowing viewpoint was shared things suddenly went "out of bounds" and "off the rails". why is that?

Again: is it only "out of bounds" to fail to speak glowingly about people you like/identify with?

Perhaps we can all just agree to stop comparing the relative hotness of various women ITT.

why?

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 pm

BankruptMe wrote:
Don't mess with them afro-carribean women. as a man of this heritage

that makes two of us

you do not rile them up. That is asking for death lmao

I've never known a man in my lineage to cower in the face of any women. If you're making a habit of that, you're doing it wrong IMO.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:30 pm

So in other news, I think a pw is long overdue. Who wants to start it off?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:40 pm

applelover wrote:So in other news, I think a pw is long overdue. Who wants to start it off?

For Gohan....

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 pm

applelover wrote:So in other news, I think a pw is long overdue. Who wants to start it off?

i dont want gohan to judge me...

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:48 pm

This is interesting but I kind of agree with gohan. Lupita has a pretty face, is an incredible actress, and I'm glad a dark skinned sister is having such success, but this over-obsession with her looks is ridiculous. I date a dark skinned sister, but I don't see why people are continually groping over how beautiful she is. She's ok, but she's not over the top fine.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 pm

It's interesting how a post that mentioned nothing about skin color turned into a heated discussion about skin color...

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:14 pm

If anyone is curious, the 2013 employment data is coming out on April 1 i think.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 pm

BankruptMe wrote:If anyone is curious, the 2013 employment data is coming out on April 1 i think.

This...I'm interested in.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

For Gohan....

:mrgreen:

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 pm

californiauser wrote:

i dont want gohan to judge me...

U guys are killing me :mrgreen:

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Lmao yall trippin Lupita is bad baad not just pretty. 6 ways from sunday i'll tell ya.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 pm

For the record when I said "fine" I meant "alright" as in she is beautiful in her own way.
Some may find her attractive, some may not. No biggies.
Also Gohan is our URM troll :mrgreen: No need to turn this whole thing into a color debate.

- so how many JS1 do we have here so far?

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Black_Swan wrote:- so how many JS1 do we have here so far?

Had mine a few weeks ago--patiently waiting for a response.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Black_Swan wrote:For the record when I said "fine" I meant "alright" as in she is beautiful in her own way.
Also Gohan is our URM troll :mrgreen: No need to turn this whole thing into a color debate.

I liked him better when he only spoke Doge (such better) :lol:

I had my JS1 about a month ago

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:57 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:For the record when I said "fine" I meant "alright" as in she is beautiful in her own way.

I liked him better when he only spoke Doge (such better) :lol:

I had my JS1 about a month ago

Lol at Gohan comment.
I became a fan during the "Free Gohan" campaign. For some reason I read Gohan but pictured "Gollum".
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK832E-wM4
Can't wait for pw. :mrgreen:

Any other JS1?

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:23 pm

I'll start when people are ready

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:16 am

“Here’s the message we sent today,” Harkin said.

“If you are a young white person, and you go to work for a law firm … and that law firm assigns you to a pro-bono case to defend someone who killed eight people in cold blood … my advice from what happened today is you should do that. It’s part of your legal obligation, part of your procession. Because if you do that, who knows, you might wind up to be the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

However, if you are a young black person, and you go to work for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, and they assign you under your obligations as an attorney in keeping with your oath of office, they assign you to appeal a case of someone who committed a heinous murder … the message sent today is don’t do it. Don’t do it. Because you know what, if you do that, in keeping with your legal obligations and your profession, you will be denied by the U.S. Senate from being an attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice.”

http://www.msnbc.com/all/harkin-adegbile-vote-shameful

I hesitated to post this, but in the interest of us all walking into this profession wide-eyed (especially PI folks who want to rise within government ranks), I did post it. I wonder how many of the news shows tomorrow will cover this, instead of all the posturing and other nonsense happening over in Crimea/Paris.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 am

toshiroh wrote:Has anyone looking to go into PI read Twenty's thread on the 2015 budget proposal.... :cry:

I heard about that, never read into it. Plan on being greedy corporate litigator anyways.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:57 am

EvMont wrote:
“Here’s the message we sent today,” Harkin said.

“If you are a young white person, and you go to work for a law firm … and that law firm assigns you to a pro-bono case to defend someone who killed eight people in cold blood … my advice from what happened today is you should do that. It’s part of your legal obligation, part of your procession. Because if you do that, who knows, you might wind up to be the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

However, if you are a young black person, and you go to work for the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, and they assign you under your obligations as an attorney in keeping with your oath of office, they assign you to appeal a case of someone who committed a heinous murder … the message sent today is don’t do it. Don’t do it. Because you know what, if you do that, in keeping with your legal obligations and your profession, you will be denied by the U.S. Senate from being an attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice.”

http://www.msnbc.com/all/harkin-adegbile-vote-shameful

I hesitated to post this, but in the interest of us all walking into this profession wide-eyed (especially PI folks who want to rise within government ranks), I did post it. I wonder how many of the news shows tomorrow will cover this, instead of all the posturing and other nonsense happening over in Crimea/Paris.

Double-standard? In America? Get outta town. It will probably only get minimal news coverage.

Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of the fine line I will have to walk as a person of color in the profession. Every career move or decision I make may come back to haunt me, and it starts from law school.

supersonicfast

Postby supersonicfast » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:08 pm

- so how many JS1 do we have here so far?[/quote]

Had mine late February. I'm patiently waiting...

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Congrats to my fellow law fellow Zero on Penn!!!!!! Putting in work!

PS: sorry for the double fellow, couldn't think of anything else lol.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”