URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
EvMont

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 pm

BankruptMe wrote:I like my girls dark chocolate.

Well, milk chocolate works too.

Im tired of french vanilla.

I am tired of being a college/post-college experiment for the white girls...

I think all black women are beautiful. Natural, weaved of permed. for the love of God, please get quality weave. If I can see your roots or it looks like your weave has a gangsta lean. We now have a problem lol

Just broke down LAUGHING in the middle of my office. Too funny!

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Did not expect to see this upon my return. As a non-UR M I don't have much to say on the topic

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:06 pm

BankruptMe wrote:I like my girls dark chocolate.

Well, milk chocolate works too.

Im tired of french vanilla.

I am tired of being a college/post-college experiment for the white girls...

I think all black women are beautiful. Natural, weaved of permed. for the love of God, please get quality weave. If I can see your roots or it looks like your weave has a gangsta lean. We now have a problem lol

:mrgreen:

Wait until you a lawyer. They would suddenly all re-appear to "check in" and "see what it do".

And LOL at quality weave. They now have weaves that you men can touch. Those suckers stay put. Let me know if you need any recommendations. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:06 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Did not expect to see this upon my return. As a non-UR M I don't have much to say on the topic

Thank you for coming here to state the obvious.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:07 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
I know it's dumb but where and what have I accused you of?

that for saying that a skin tone/hair/beauty debate is useless on a law school forum, where we should be free to discuss bettering ourselves and helping each other move forward in a process that largely ignores our needs and experiences, i might be - and i quote - "one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country." this isn't productive here and with these sorts of comments, you've proved it.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:09 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Did not expect to see this upon my return. As a non-UR M I don't have much to say on the topic

I'll just let myself out

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

that for saying that a skin tone/hair/beauty debate is useless on a law school forum, where we should be free to discuss bettering ourselves and helping each other move forward in a process that largely ignores our needs and experiences, i might be - and i quote - "one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country." this isn't productive here and with these sorts of comments, you've proved it.

Which begs of me to ask why would you think it is useless?

Hair has already been discussed right on this sub-forum, same with beauty standards, skin color, racism and the whole nine.

The only black people I have seen who wish to avoid those same topics are folks in denial. I never said that was you (definition of accusing) but if I or anyone else so choose to speak about race/skin color/hair/beauty standards on this forum, on this thread, we, like you, have a right to discuss or keep it moving.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I'll just let myself out

Why?

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:21 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Yup. In this thread, there are URMs of all shades. Blacks have culturally bought into the lie that Eurocentric features = beauty. Still, it is not a reason to bash on lighter skin URMs who just happen to have a mixed heritage. And this is coming from a cocoa-skinned girl!!!
We keep complaining about "White people" tearing us down when we do the same by vilifying each other.

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:24 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I'll just let myself out

As a (non-black) URM, can I just say that that was really rude. I don't know t-14orbust but they (and any non-URM) shouldn't feel like the URM part of tls is exclusive or "blacks/POCs" only.

I don't have anything to add to the convo about natural/permed except that it is tired but you all have the right to discuss it in a friendly and conscientious way :)

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Yup. In this thread, there are URMs of all shades. Blacks have culturally bought into the lie that Eurocentric features = beauty. Still, it is not a reason to bash on lighter skin URMs who just happen to have a mixed heritage. And this is coming from a cocoa-skinned girl!!!
We keep complaining about "White people" tearing is down when we do the same by vilifying each other.

Where in my comment did I specify light-skinned black people as those who are in denial?

Wow at folks making a straw man's argument.

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:32 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

We keep complaining about "White people" tearing is down when we do the same by vilifying each other.

Where in my comment did I specify light-skinned black people as those who are in denial?

Lol, I'm amazed at how folks think they are guardians of what other people are allowed to think or say!! :lol: It's impressive that you are so good at identifying who is in denial, and who isn't. :mrgreen: Your comments have such an arrogance that I just.... :roll:

So if someone does not happen to agree with you or your approach on a certain racially-based topic they are in denial. Ok, Doc!

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:37 pm

I don't think anyone in this thread specifically harped on URMs of any specific skin tone... from what I'm reading. I'm slightly confused on what the debate is about now...

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm

This is a really important debate (especially for our respective communities) but not sure this is the place/time. We're here to support and empower each other in our struggle to get into law school and eventually as practicing attorneys.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Cocoblues wrote:Lol, I'm amazed at how folks think they are guardians of what other people are allowed to think or say!! :lol: It's impressive that you are so good at identifying who is in denial, and who isn't. :mrgreen: Your comments have such an arrogance that I just.... :roll:

So if someone does not happen to agree with you or your approach on a certain racially-based topic they are in denial. Ok, Doc!

And that's precisely it: I never did identify who is/ is not in denial be that TLS members or black people of a specific skin tone.

I'm not looking for agreement. But for any black person (brown, cocoa, dark, purple etc) to live in this country and not realize that skin color complexes still exist in the black community, then yes ma'am they are in denial.

And IMHO it's completely normal for such discussions to trickle over in an online community with black people.

Not sure where folks are getting the "tearing down" and associating my comment of denial with light-skinned black people.

You have yet to address where I attacked anyone in this thread who is light-skinned or attacked light-skinned black people. Let me know when you do.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:47 pm

mt2165 wrote:This is a really important debate (especially for our respective communities) but not sure this is the place/time. We're here to support and empower each other in our struggle to get into law school and eventually as practicing attorneys.

It's never a good time or a good venue, is it?

This is why issues remain unresolved. Why not hustle on the outside and still address concerns that plague our home? Why can't we do both??

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
mt2165 wrote:This is a really important debate (especially for our respective communities) but not sure this is the place/time. We're here to support and empower each other in our struggle to get into law school and eventually as practicing attorneys.

This is why issues remain unresolved. Why not hustle on the outside and still address concerns that plague our home? Why can't we do both??

Is it really going to be solved by discussing it for a few pages ITT?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I said address, which is the start to resolving won't you say?

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:52 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I should have broken down the quotations. First, Yes, I was agreeing with allaw's post that debates about hair/skin/beauty debates are for the most part divisive, as these often lead to people tearing each other apart because of their preferences.

Secondly, I was also responding to your comment in her quote:

"one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country."

It's not the first time you've made it. Each time you elevate yourself as a judge of what forms a "legitimate" AA experience. No ma'am. Not all blacks view things like you do. And they should be able to say that without you throwing the passive-aggressive denial label around.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

+1. The pugnacious tone of this convo is so extra right now. Do y'all need to go watch "The Great Debaters" or "A Few Good Men" or some other movie featuring adversarial speeches?

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

This is why issues remain unresolved
. Why not hustle on the outside and still address concerns that plague our home? Why can't we do both??

I said address, which is the start to resolving won't you say?

ITT I don't really see it making a difference, but if people think that debating the topic is beneficial, continue.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 pm

applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

This is an online forum that was created to educate and inform prospective applicants. THis is the URM thread, where we educate, support, and empower each others as prospective applicants and as URM's who face specific challenges and issues. The issue of the double veil and black beauty, while INCREDIBLY important, are simply not conducive to the purpose of this thread/forum.To the degree that this debate detracts from that purpose, I think its a little misplaced. But I'm done.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 pm

mt2165 wrote:
applelover wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

This is an online forum that was created to educate and inform prospective applicants. THis is the URM thread, where we educate, support, and empower each others as prospective applicants and as URM's who face specific challenges and issues. The issue of the double veil and black beauty, while INCREDIBLY important, are simply not conducive to the purpose of this thread/forum.To the degree that this debate detracts from that purpose, I think its a little misplaced. But I'm done.

this.

if i had seen this sort of contentious/argumentative/borderline disrespectful back-and-forth when i first decided to finally post ITT, i wouldn't have. and with that, i also bow out of the conversation.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 pm

I think the debate is going on simply because it is a slow day for acceptances and decisions.

So why not?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm

There are plenty of off topics that go on ITT. For instance talking about the Oscars, different movies that have came out, books, what everyone is going to do on the weekend, pic whoring, and so on. All of that can be said to not be the main purpose of the URM thread, yet we do it anyway. I don't see the issue with debating the topic.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”