URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Beauty is obviously subjective, so sitting here saying what's "fine" and what's not "fine" is merely a matter of opinion, and doesn't really matter.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:43 pm

As the old school playas say.

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm

toshiroh wrote:Beauty is obviously subjective, so sitting here saying what's "fine" and what's not "fine" is merely a matter of opinion, and doesn't really matter.

That's absolutely true, and I appreciate you saying that.

I do have to say, though, that it touches a nerve when Gohan compares a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man. I wonder how we would react if he weren't a self-identified black man; something tells me we wouldn't brush it aside and accept that kind of post in the same way. Just sayin'

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:51 pm

BankruptMe wrote:As the old school playas say.

You...I like.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:53 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Beauty is obviously subjective, so sitting here saying what's "fine" and what's not "fine" is merely a matter of opinion, and doesn't really matter.

That's absolutely true, and I appreciate you saying that.

I do have to say, though, that it touches a nerve when Gohan compares a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man. I wonder how we would react if he weren't a self-identified black man; something tells me we wouldn't brush it aside and accept that kind of post in the same way. Just sayin'

Just another Kneegro trying to tear black women down.

He rather the weaves and wigs than a natural goddess.

Kerry bare versus Lupita bare....then let's compare.

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:As the old school playas say.

You...I like.

Hahah +1 :)

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm

As a light skinned women (who is extremely proud of her creamy crack *flips hair*) I object to the idea that both women can't be beautiful. I love Lupita AND Kerry.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 pm

okaygo wrote:As a light skinned women (who is extremely proud of her creamy crack *flips hair*) I object to the idea that both women can't be beautiful. I love Lupita AND Kerry.

+1 not to mention this whole dark skin vs light skin debate and standard of beauty just feeds into the whole slave mentality.

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Last edited by nabadgelyo on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:34 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
okaygo wrote:As a light skinned women (who is extremely proud of her creamy crack *flips hair*) I object to the idea that both women can't be beautiful. I love Lupita AND Kerry.

+1 not to mention this whole dark skin vs light skin debate and standard of beauty just feeds into the whole slave mentality.

i don't think rebuttals to gohan's comments are aiming to say that both aren't indeed beautiful. the issue of interest is why kerry washington, lauren london, etc. (with lighter complexions and weaves/perms) are so easily considered beautiful, while people ITT seem to think that lupita (darker, with natural hair) isn't. let's not let these differences be lost here.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 pm

but anywho... why is it that whenever black people congregate (even on a law school forum), we have to get into light-skinned/dark-skinned and permed/natural debates?

lol come on, y'all.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

alllaweverything wrote:but anywho... why is it that whenever black people congregate (even on a law school forum), we have to get into light-skinned/dark-skinned and permed/natural debates?

lol come on, y'all.

x2.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

i don't think rebuttals to gohan's comments are aiming to say that both aren't indeed beautiful. the issue of interest is why kerry washington, lauren london, etc. (with lighter complexions and weaves/perms) are so easily considered beautiful, while people ITT seem to think that lupita (darker, with natural hair) isn't. let's not let these differences be lost here.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with thinking Kerry is prettier than Lupita in and of itself, it's more so that that for us Black people we're scared that preference is not what we would naturally think but what we've been conditioned to think. It's hard for me to reorient myself because I think we have be so conditioned. It's even more problematic because we're told beauty is an intrinsic value/preference and not "learned" (which I think it is).

lol but very true alllla

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:41 pm

Look, it ain't about color. There are plenty of "dark skinned" women from both the States and Africa who look much much better than her. But personally, I don't like differentiating between light, dark, etc. skin tones. It's stupid to me.

Same thing with natural hair. There are plenty of more attractive women with either, natural, short, or bald hair who look better than her.

I think people just gravitate towards her because of her complexion rather than checking to see if she actually looks that good. You could go on photoshop and lighten her skin tone and it wouldn't change a thing. I think the skin color argument is a cop out.

Like I said, don't get me wrong she's cute, but stop using color or hair as a defense when people don't drool over her.

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 pm

El Principe wrote:Look, it ain't about color. There are plenty of "dark skinned" women from both the States and Africa who look much much better than her. But personally, I don't like differentiating between light, dark, etc. skin tones. It's stupid to me.

Same thing with natural hair. There are plenty of more attractive women with either, natural, short, or bald hair who look better than her.

I think people just gravitate towards her because of her complexion rather than checking to see if she actually looks that good. You could go on photoshop and lighten her skin tone and it wouldn't change a thing. I think the skin color argument is a cop out.

Like I said, don't get me wrong she's cute, but stop using color or hair as a defense when people don't drool over her.

+1

but I will say that she's an amazing actress and I hope to see her in more stuff because she deserves it.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:45 pm

alllaweverything wrote:but anywho... why is it that whenever black people congregate (even on a law school forum), we have to get into light-skinned/dark-skinned and permed/natural debates?

lol come on, y'all.

Why not talk about it? Our community still has deep-rooted issues surrounding skin color. I am by no means surprised such discussions would occur on here.

Unless, of course, you're one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country.

Our children are still getting shot at and killed because of skin color and Racial profiling is still a thing. Now we have black men and women turning on each other. Now suddenly we should move on and not address these grievances in our community? :|

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

lol come on, y'all.

Why not talk about it? Our community still has deep-rooted issues surrounding skin color. I am by no means surprised such discussions would occur on here.

Unless, of course, you're one of those black folks that ignore pink elephants and act like everything is flowery for black people in this country.

Our children are still getting shot at and killed because of skin color and Racial profiling is still a thing. Now we have black men and women turning on each other. Now suddenly we should move on and not address these grievances in our community? :|

this isn't the right venue for the afforementioned discussion, we shouldn't be tearing down each other's self-esteem ITT which is invariably what happens when these discussions happen over the internet

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 pm

mt2165 wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Obviously there's nothing wrong with thinking Kerry is prettier than Lupita in and of itself, it's more so that that for us Black people we're scared that preference is not what we would naturally think but what we've been conditioned to think. It's hard for me to reorient myself because I think we have be so conditioned. It's even more problematic because we're told beauty is an intrinsic value/preference and not "learned" (which I think it is).

lol but very true alllla

that's exactly it - people are entitled to their personal perceptions of beauty, but when we start comparing a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man, we're subconsciously feeding into the conditioning you're talking about (wherein the further a woman is from white standards of beauty, the less feminine, desirable, etc. we consider her). the whole thing is just extremely problematic.

but let me step off my soapbox...

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm

This is interesting. There are many goods points being made, but I'm going to stay out of it...

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm

mt2165 wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

lol but very true alllla

Ahh, conditioning. Social conditioning. Madam Walker created relaxer for a reason. Folks like Beyoncé are bleaching for a reason. Lil' Kim done took it to the extreme to become the new cat woman for a reason.

A certain standard is considered the epitome of beauty and black folks done drank the kook-aid.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:54 pm

californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

lol come on, y'all.

this isn't the right venue for the afforementioned discussion, we shouldn't be tearing down each other's self-esteem ITT which is invariably what happens when these discussions happen over the internet

+1.

AAJD2B, you should chill with the accusatory tone. i'm one of the most militant, pro-black, feminist women you could ever meet.

i simply wanted to make a point and i've made it. i'm not going to let a brief and somewhat innocuous conversation about whether or not lupita is beautiful balloon into an e-argument.

that's dumb.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:57 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

lol but very true alllla

that's exactly it - people are entitled to their personal perceptions of beauty, but when we start comparing a dark-skinned black woman with natural hair to a man, we're subconsciously feeding into the conditioning you're talking about (wherein the further a woman is from white standards of beauty, the less feminine, desirable, etc. we consider her). the whole thing is just extremely problematic.

but let me step off my soapbox...

+1 This is what I was waiting for somebody to say.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:59 pm

alllaweverything wrote:
californiauser wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

lol come on, y'all.

+1.

AAJD2B, you should chill with the accusatory tone. i'm one of the most militant, pro-black, feminist women you could ever meet.

i simply wanted to make a point and i've made it. i'm not going to let a brief and somewhat innocuous conversation about whether or not lupita is beautiful balloon into an e-argument.

that's dumb.

I know it's dumb but where and what have I accused you of?

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Well when I agreed with Okaygo point I was just staing where this whole discussion was going. We are all beautiful human beings regardless of skin tone. And this shouldn't be a discussion anyway really.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 pm

I like my girls dark chocolate.

Well, milk chocolate works too.

Im tired of french vanilla.

I am tired of being a college/post-college experiment for the white girls...

I think all black women are beautiful. Natural, weaved of permed. for the love of God, please get quality weave. If I can see your roots or it looks like your weave has a gangsta lean. We now have a problem lol

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”