URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
okaygo

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So is anyone else freaking out about housing?? I will more than likely be living off-campus. If anyone else is looking at a similar situation how are you planning to pay your security deposit in addition to firsts/last month's rent if applicable?? Is it expected we pay out-of-pocket for this?? I doubt COL loans will be made available to us until the start of the school year. Should we be factoring this as an expense pre- law school?? If so, :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

We should be factoring it in as an extra expense.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Just wait listed at UVA.....I'll join the masses of wait listed URM's I suppose

lemons

Postby lemons » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:16 pm

mt2165 wrote:Just wait listed at UVA.....I'll join the masses of wait listed URM's I suppose

Wait list is better than a rejection! I got rejected from uva in 3 days. Obviously they didn't want me! Haha All that is to say that you should keep your head up! Good things come to those who wait! :mrgreen:

gottago

Postby gottago » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Last edited by gottago on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 pm

gottago wrote:how long after the interview did SEO invite you to upload your LOR?

Mine was like a couple weeks.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:53 pm

http://gawker.com/letters-from-death-row-ray-jasper-texas-inmate-999341-1493139671

Man, this makes me want to join a prisoner's rights group or some anti death penalty group.

Edit: changed wrongfully accused because I dont want to suggest he didn't do the crime.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:http://gawker.com/letters-from-death-row-ray-jasper-texas-inmate-999341-1493139671

Man, this makes me want to join a prisoner's rights group or some anti death penalty group.

Edit: changed wrongfully accused because I dont want to suggest he didn't do the crime.

Wow crazy to think about how easy your life could change as a poc in this country.

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:09 am

mt2165 wrote:Just wait listed at UVA.....I'll join the masses of wait listed URM's I suppose

+ 1. Received my waitlist email in the middle of meeting with a potential client for work and yelled "Oh shit" without thinking. But it beats rejection.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 am

AAJD2B wrote:12 Years a Slave won the Oscar for Best Picture!!!!!
How stunning is this woman:

How stunning exactly? 6/10

she's alright, but from the neck up she kind of looks like a footballer. I am not sure how I feel about this.

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

mandyjay11 wrote:http://gawker.com/letters-from-death-row-ray-jasper-texas-inmate-999341-1493139671

I support the death penalty so long as racial disparities in its application are addressed. Some animals deserve it, but those animals come in all colors. USA doesn't get that.

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:

she's alright, but from the neck up she kind of looks like a footballer. I am not sure how I feel about this.

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

I support the death penalty so long as racial disparities in its application are addressed. Some animals deserve it, but those animals come in all colors. USA doesn't get that.

Lol I read this without seeing who wrote it and thought to myself "i bet it's gohan". Glad to know that my reading of tone was correct haha

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:26 am

lemons wrote:
Futuregohan14 wrote:

Lol I read this without seeing who wrote it and thought to myself "i bet it's gohan". Glad to know that my reading of tone was correct haha

Lol at Gohan. The lady is fine :mrgreen:
(Though some cleavage won't hurt)

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:51 am

She's cute, not fine IMO, but there's equally too much praise and hate going towards this chick concerning her looks.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 am

Lol. I died.

I'm firmly in the "she's alright" camp, too.

But there's simply no denying she's an incredible talent.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:25 am

Black_Swan wrote:

This is what a fine woman looks like*:

On the other hand...

don't get it twisted, I ain't tryin to hate on lupita. she's extremely talented and she has a nice personality and outlook on life. she gave a nice speech and seems to be a great person*.

but fine? nah*.

*: this is my opinion

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am

AAJD2B wrote:So is anyone else freaking out about housing?? I will more than likely be living off-campus. If anyone else is looking at a similar situation how are you planning to pay your security deposit in addition to firsts/last month's rent if applicable?? Is it expected we pay out-of-pocket for this?? I doubt COL loans will be made available to us until the start of the school year. Should we be factoring this as an expense pre- law school?? If so, :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

From what I have been told from a white student ..."It really isnt the schools fault if you do not have the money. Yeah, you may be disadvantaged, but that is not the school's fault. If you cannot afford tuition deposits, housing and food...maybe you shouldnt be a lawyer. The whole profession is going to cost you money and this is just the start."

Because of apartments, I am definitely going to be living on campus the first year. And I will tell you from someone who has worked in the RE industry, apartments 90% of the time WILL NOT rent a solo apartment to a student. Too much variance in whether they will pay or not to take on the risk. Most students have to get a roommate and team up on a lease

SN: I am finally in the game. 19 apps sent and the wait begins

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 am

BankruptMe wrote:
From what I have been told from a white student ..."It really isnt the schools fault if you do not have the money. Yeah, you may be disadvantaged, but that is not the school's fault. If you cannot afford tuition deposits, housing and food...maybe you shouldnt be a lawyer. The whole profession is going to cost you money and this is just the start."

Because of apartments, I am definitely going to be living on campus the first year. And I will tell you from someone who has worked in the RE industry, apartments 90% of the time WILL NOT rent a solo apartment to a student. Too much variance in whether they will pay or not to take on the risk. Most students have to get a roommate and team up on a lease

Wow! That's really such a sweet thing for that student to say to you. :roll:

I have actually only been reaching out to students and alumni of color just to get a real feel on how I need to handle these things. I was told people take out small bank loans to cover moving and stuff and pay it back right away when they get a summer job or when they get their federal loans.

I was also advised to stay on campus even though it will kinda suck, but it's easier than stressing about a place. I'm going to look into both options.

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 am

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:

On the other hand...

don't get it twisted, I ain't tryin to hate on lupita. she's extremely talented and she has a nice personality and outlook on life. she gave a nice speech and seems to be a great person*.

but fine? nah*.

You're right, this is your opinion. I think they are both beautiful. It's not a zero-sum game :mrgreen:

ETA. I just saw Gohan's previous GIF list...and had that sinking feeling you get when you realized you just threw steak to the troll colony. Sigh.
Last edited by nabadgelyo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 am

BankruptMe wrote:

Bitter pill to swallow but the student is right.

That's interesting. The schools I am looking at have several students renting apartments solo. I figure if I have the money upfront (security + two months deposit) and my credit score checks out, I should be okay. It's just that these apartments are far from cheap, and I won't be surprised if they give me trouble because of the color of my skin. I may sound white over the phone when I book an appointment for viewing, but once they see me I expect the :shock: :? :| ...looks.

But when I pay cash up front. They be like: :mrgreen:

Slays me every time.

LawSchoolOrNah

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

Need help from anyone that's had their SEO interview over skype. are they supposed to add us or do we add them on skype?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

Wow! That's really such a sweet thing for that student to say to you. :roll:

I have actually only been reaching out to students and alumni of color just to get a real feel on how I need to handle these things. I was told people take out small bank loans to cover moving and stuff and pay it back right away when they get a summer job or when they get their federal loans.

I was also advised to stay on campus even though it will kinda suck, but it's easier than stressing about a place. I'm going to look into both options.

Girl, I may just have to suck it up and live in a dorm on campus.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:31 am

mt2165 wrote:
gottago wrote:how long after the interview did SEO invite you to upload your LOR?

Mine was like a couple weeks.

i was told at the interview to have mine uploaded. i think the goal is just to have it in as soon as possible.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:

On the other hand...

but fine? nah*.

Are you all dudes?
U would be surprised what "wonders" fake hair can do. :mrgreen:
The lady is fine. Really.
Don't make me put my photoshop skills to use now.
Last edited by Black_Swan on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Are you all dudes?
The lady is fine.

I think Gohan just likes to troll the natural hair/feminist/all women on this list in general. (I base this on his post history) I wouldn't take him seriously.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:Are you all dudes?
The lady is fine.

I think Gohan just likes to troll the natural hair/feminist/all women on this list in general. (I base this on his post history) I wouldn't take him seriously.

I got the hint. I could never take Gohan seriously. :lol:

alpwilliams

Postby alpwilliams » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Lauran London is fine... This other girl is uhhh cool.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”