URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
t-14orbust

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am

I'm poor too guys. Even worse, I need to buy suits and a laptop along with any necessary furniture and necessities since I'll likely be moving across the country. Also have 15-20k UG debt. Yey :lol:

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

t-14orbust wrote:I'm poor too guys. Even worse, I need to buy suits and a laptop along with any necessary furniture and necessities since I'll likely be moving across the country. Also have 15-20k UG debt. Yey :lol:

Burlington Coat Factory for suits.

IKEA or Target for furnishings and beddings.

For laptops, you'll have so many choices but some schools offer stipends. That's one thing I personally won't be buying cheaply.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 am

AAJD2B wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I'm poor too guys. Even worse, I need to buy suits and a laptop along with any necessary furniture and necessities since I'll likely be moving across the country. Also have 15-20k UG debt. Yey :lol:

For laptops, you'll have so many choices but some schools offer stipends. That's one thing I personally won't be buying cheaply.

Definitely going the IKEA/Walmart(As much as I hate walmart) route for furnishings. In the fashion thread they recommended buying at least one ~500$ suit, and I wouldn't want to miss out on employment because of clothing, but I'll see what my options are. Definitely agree on the laptop bit, I won't be sparing any expense on that. I can already see the loans piling up lol. Really hoping I end up somewhere that a car is not required.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:58 am

toshiroh wrote:I don't know... I'm in the same boat as far as being focused on PI/Government work. Then I think about paying sticker.... and then I read the vale of tears... and then I'm like no that wouldn't be me.... and then I read people contemplating suicide... and I'm like but no I'll find something, right? Idk Idk.... I just think the worst in general.

+1 to all this. All that debt would be so daunting, I never want to be in that position. Do y'all remember that post from a Duke 3L URM that was shooting for biglaw and stuck out with tons of debt? Crazy to think about.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Definitely going the IKEA/Walmart(As much as I hate walmart) route for furnishings. In the fashion thread they recommended buying at least one ~500$ suit, and I wouldn't want to miss out on employment because of clothing, but I'll see what my options are. Definitely agree on the laptop bit, I won't be sparing any expense on that. I can already see the loans piling up lol. Really hoping I end up somewhere that a car is not required.

Buying a $500 suit? Hmm, I guess it's different for guys, because I can go to Burlington and get a lovely suit for like $100 and just have it tailored a little. There must not be many low income people giving advice. I've been on a budget my entire life and I've mastered the whole "get the look for less" thing.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
toshiroh wrote:I don't know... I'm in the same boat as far as being focused on PI/Government work. Then I think about paying sticker.... and then I read the vale of tears... and then I'm like no that wouldn't be me.... and then I read people contemplating suicide... and I'm like but no I'll find something, right? Idk Idk.... I just think the worst in general.

+1 to all this. All that debt would be so daunting, I never want to be in that position. Do y'all remember that post from a Duke 3L URM that was shooting for biglaw and stuck out with tons of debt? Crazy to think about.

Yeah, but she was also really reliant on career services. I spoke to a number of URMS from different places even with C's and below median grades who have jobs at market rates because they hustled. Like attending events, networking efficiently, following up on leads, and using OCI as just one piece of a larger job hustle.

Also, I am thinking that loans will just be another bill I pay each month.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:18 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Buying a $500 suit? Hmm, I guess it's different for guys, because I can go to Burlington and get a lovely suit for like $100 and just have it tailored a little. There must not be many low income people giving advice. I've been on a budget my entire life and I've mastered the whole "get the look for less" thing.

I'm definitely going to check out burlington and hopefully I'll be able to find something 'suit'able hahaha

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:19 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
I'm definitely going to check out burlington and hopefully I'll be able to find something 'suit'able hahaha

Perfect name for a blog for professional looks for less !

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

Yeah, but she was also really reliant on career services. I spoke to a number of URMS from different places even with C's and below median grades who have jobs at market rates because they hustled. Like attending events, networking efficiently, following up on leads, and using OCI as just one piece of a larger job hustle.

True just re read that whole thread. Relying on career services is not a good look!

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:28 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Perfect name for a blog for professional looks for less !

Or even women's professional fashion store. I have this annoyance with the fact that there's no equivalent to men's warehouse for women.

I hate the patriarchy.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

True just re read that whole thread. Relying on career services is not a good look!

could you guys link me to the thread you're talking about?

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:41 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

True. There are a lot of opportunities for URMs to succeed in law school. Like you said, you have to hustle and you have to be versatile as far as where you look. Can't just rely on a school's CSO or OCI to land you a job. Gotta attend fairs, network, mass mail, etc.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm

alllaweverything wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=186540

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:54 pm

lol I had to go to Burlington just for a suit for SEO........barely could afford that.....BROKE PEOPLE STAND UP

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I always thought that whole thread was a troll thread. Never really paid much attention to it

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

mt2165 wrote:lol I had to go to Burlington just for a suit for SEO........barely could afford that.....BROKE PEOPLE STAND UP

lol I borrowed a friend's. Luckily my interview was over skype so it looked like it fit decently.

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:17 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
alllaweverything wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=186540

thanks!

alllaweverything

Postby alllaweverything » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

does anyone have any concept of the time-frame between a first and second SEO interview?

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:26 pm

alllaweverything wrote:does anyone have any concept of the time-frame between a first and second SEO interview?

It was my impression that there's only one. They second multiple invitations to interview because they don't seem to instantly register who's already interviewed. The second one should say "ignore if you've already interviewed". I hope that's right..

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm

alllaweverything wrote:does anyone have any concept of the time-frame between a first and second SEO interview?

There's really no set time and there's not necessarily a second interview. From what I've gathered it's around the time some people start sending in enrollment forms, and if you haven't SEO decides to check in.

LawSchoolOrNah

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 pm

SEO interview coming up soon. Any pointers/tips? Sorry if someone has already touched on this, just a little anxious

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:26 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
mt2165 wrote:lol I had to go to Burlington just for a suit for SEO........barely could afford that.....BROKE PEOPLE STAND UP

lol I borrowed a friend's. Luckily my interview was over skype so it looked like it fit decently.

U borrowed a suit for a Skype interview? :mrgreen:

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Black_Swan wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

U borrowed a suit for a Skype interview? :mrgreen:

8)

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm

So is anyone else freaking out about housing?? I will more than likely be living off-campus. If anyone else is looking at a similar situation how are you planning to pay your security deposit in addition to firsts/last month's rent if applicable?? Is it expected we pay out-of-pocket for this?? I doubt COL loans will be made available to us until the start of the school year. Should we be factoring this as an expense pre- law school?? If so, :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 pm

LawSchoolOrNah wrote:SEO interview coming up soon. Any pointers/tips? Sorry if someone has already touched on this, just a little anxious

Check out the SEO thread in Legal Employment. Sorry, but I can't send the link at the moment. Not near a PC.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”