URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
PhenomenalWoman

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:They did not get a penny of my $, but I gladly submitted a USC app :-)

I hear you on the debt. I'm kind of sucking it up though. I know what I want and I am willing to work off that debt if that is what I must do to reach my goal.

Be sure to research private scholarships and apply to as many as possible!

Yeah, I have. And writing a million essays for the chance to get $500-1500 before law school is not really that enticing to me.

I hear that, for sure. For the most part, I just tailor the base of my PS or DS to a particular prompt.

Trippel

Postby Trippel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:59 pm

In at Cornell via status checker!!!

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 pm

In at UVA today via phone call.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Congrats to you both!

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:They did not get a penny of my $, but I gladly submitted a USC app :-)

I hear you on the debt. I'm kind of sucking it up though. I know what I want and I am willing to work off that debt if that is what I must do to reach my goal.

The same Cornell student I spoke to said she will be summering at the same firm as another student at Harvard who she/he interned with during 1L summer. Only difference is, the Harvard student is 100k+ more in debt.

Riddle me this: If two schools can get you to the same position upon graduation, why take out an extra 100k in loans to get there?

People might be paying for the certainty in getting the position. It's not a stretch to imagine the Cornell student working much harder than the Harvard student in securing that position. But who really knows anyways...

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:11 pm

kenwash wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

The same Cornell student I spoke to said she will be summering at the same firm as another student at Harvard who she/he interned with during 1L summer. Only difference is, the Harvard student is 100k+ more in debt.

Riddle me this: If two schools can get you to the same position upon graduation, why take out an extra 100k in loans to get there?

People might be paying for the certainty in getting the position. It's not a stretch to imagine the Cornell student working much harder than the Harvard student in securing that position. But who really knows anyways...

Certainty?? According to LST, there is no certainty, even at a place like Harvard.

Have you been reading some of the threads in the Legal Employment section of the board?

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Congrats to Trippel and Ben on the Cornell and UVA acceptances!!! That's a good deal!!!

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:32 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Certainty?? According to LST, there is no certainty, even at a place like Harvard.

Have you been reading some of the threads in the Legal Employment section of the board?

Maybe not so much in today's environment, but the perception of greater opportunity, more security in having a certain school's name on your resume, etc is there. I'm not saying it's true, but that perception can motivate someone to make a decision like that.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Going to Havard and being near the bottom of your class with loads of debt is not ideal. Prestige doesn't mean much when your jobless. The vale of tears thread is real... I suggest you all lurk around there sometimes.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Just a general question: do you guys think it would be ok to respectfully decline my group interview at Georgetown? I would go but it's a great hassle with my conference track and field meet part of that same weekend and I don't want to be doing additional traveling and all that. They said it won't negatively affect your application, but it certainly does not positively affect either. GT is certainly not among my top choices unless they throw a lot of money around.[/quote]

It's ok.[/quote]

You should call in, explain your situation and ask for a different option (may be a Skype interview?) Withdrawing unless you are in the military stationing overseas looks bad! Would you do this if one of HYS reached out to you? If you are genuinely not interested in GT then go ahead and withdraw.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:50 pm

applelover wrote:Congrats to you both!

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
NanaP wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

For prestige whores it doesn't matter the cost....but sometimes schools like H is worth it especially if you want academia later on.....

True, but how do most law students pay off the debt? Not through, academia, but BIGLAW. Not sure why being an extra 100k or more in debt makes sense if you plan to go to a law firm.

For some willing to take their degrees overseas after biglaw, HLS is a gem at any cost.
- Prestige W***

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:56 pm

We should all agree to come back three years from now to see where all this debt got us.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Congrats to Ben and Trippel!!! UVA and Cornell really are amazing options!

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:01 pm

toshiroh wrote:We should all agree to come back three years from now to see where all this debt got us.

But that's just it: It's not about 3 years from now. It's about 3 years and 5 years and 15 and 20 and 30 years down the road. And I know that one's work and sheer ability to produce should speak for itself, but in many cases it doesn't. Having the brand behind you gives you a bump, whether its HLS vs. Duke, Duke vs. Penn State, etc, etc.

Trippel

Postby Trippel » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Thank you everyone! And thanks for the GIFs, Pied!

Love this thread!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm

congrats on acceptances, guys!

And I really do think we should plan a URM 2013-2014 reunion, Tosh! That'd be fun.

(Maybe you were talking about just checking in on debt butttttt we can make it fun, right?)

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:congrats on acceptances, guys!

And I really do think we should plan a URM 2013-2014 reunion, Tosh! That'd be fun.

(Maybe you were talking about just checking in on debt butttttt we can make it fun, right?)

Lol I interpreted it the same way as you Mandy. Sounds like a good time to me!

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:28 pm

If we meet in person, I would just like to warn you all that my avatar is a faithful rendering of my physical appearance (and the subject of my PS). Life has been a struggle.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Black_Swan wrote:For some willing to take their degrees overseas after biglaw, HLS is a gem at any cost.
- Prestige W***

Like I said, name gets you in, work products keeps you there.

No one is doubting the HLS' brand to open more doors, but it's not the holy grail of law. HLS or Duke or USC, we will all be viewed in the same light once offered in BIGLAW: junior associates with no experience.

As for overseas, that would only apply to transactional law (specifically capital markets, M&A securities/derivatives and bank finance where the experience of American lawyers are needed) and the best way to get there is through a US law firm that has an international office. Your law degree may not matter as much as your connections, work expertise, language skills and in the case of Asia, gender disposition.

Interestingly enough, a number of overseas American Firms recruit locally, placing foreign-degreed lawyers in their office. I worked for a major international white-shoe law firm and they heavily recruited international lawyers for positions in their NY office and international offices. Most were UK or Australian educated on a lower pay scale than American lawyers, so that's something to keep in mind.

All this to say that with a post-Dodd Frank market comes a change in how law firms and their clients operate both nationally and overseas. A prestige-whored law school graduate isn't going to change that reality. As someone currently working on the regulatory side of finance, I can safely say it's a new era of doing business.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:51 pm

okaygo wrote:

Lol I interpreted it the same way as you Mandy. Sounds like a good time to me!

+1 I agree

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:56 pm

toshiroh wrote:We should all agree to come back three years from now to see where all this debt got us.

Slaving away in law firms and feeling "stuck".

Most of the associates I knew bounced after three years. One black male I know left after 5 years as soon as the debt was paid off. He is now in-house with half the pay.

Each and every one of us may have different goals, but I just don't think poor folks should be asked to take out more professional school debt to be employed in an oversaturated market just to be one step closer to living that American Dream. What Dream are poor folks living if your net worth is still in the negative on the basis of educational debt??? What Dream is being lived if you gotta slave just like the non-T14 colleague with no debt who, unlike you, has the option to leave BIGLAW altogether??

Maybe I enter law school with a different perspective given what I have seen firsthand but man, it makes no sense some times.

Either way, folks with do what is best for them, even if it cost them financially and otherwise.

P-Haze

Postby P-Haze » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
applelover wrote:
Black_Swan wrote:Apple Lover(s) must check this out :lol:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLXEiMIiF5 ... LXEiMIiF5E

Haha. That's cute. I'll try it the next time I buy some.

Has anyone seen the UCLA Law 33 Video?

I actually just watched the video. I really find it quite distrubing that some of these top schools dont actually do more to attract different minority groups and give a great representation at their institutions. In all honesty I believe that is why my cycle is going the way it is. People in the majority are so afraid to see the truth. To see that distroted reflection of themselves. And when you tell them about themselves they run from it or condemn you as an extremist. It is really sad that you cannot challenge people. Its almost like they want you to assimilate and fit a particular mold of what they want to shape you in.

I lurked for a min, but this topic has brought me out of the weeds. ;-) First, let me say congratulations to everyone on their acceptances thus far and the acceptances that will come soon. I’m a non-trad and most here seem to be in their early/mid 20’s. So let me also say that I am VERY PROUD to see you all accomplishing what you have set out to accomplish and the positive reinforcement you give to each other. That is some good ish! Now, maybe I come with a different perspective based on my advanced stage in life, so take or leave what I say and know that I offer what I say with humility...

Pied, I feel you. But understand, speaking your truth and expecting receptive ears might not correlate. Of course power, whatever form it may take, wants you to fit a mold. The mold of “I don’t want no trouble”. How you speak truth can impact how it’s heard or not heard. I don’t know how you framed your PS in terms of tone. I appreciate you being yourself in whatever way you presented it. But that can have its consequences. Sometimes a velvet glove over a steel hand will get one farther along. Then one can take that glove off and proceed to bruise ‘em up.

I watched the video as well. I understand the feeling shared by the 33. I went to grad school many years ago, was one of 5 black students in my entering class of 70. So I get the feeling of having to be spokesman for everybody or wanting to do well for everybody who might want to come after me. What I would tell that younger version of myself is to take off the yoke. Learning and accomplishing one’s goal is challenging enough without adding pressure.

Yes, people who have had little interaction with URM’s of whatever ethnic background will look to you for an opinion. That’s not a negative thing in and of itself. It’s better someone asks for a take than to sit there and make up things in their heads or fail to confront their assumptions. That being said, we’re under no obligation to provide this at every turn. Do so at your discretion, not theirs. Yes, there are some people who will catch an attitude by the very presence of a URM for whatever reason they might have. No matter how one performs there will always be these types of people with these types of attitudes. Stay focused.

Law school is a professional school. One is their to learn the law, apply the law and earn a JD en route to achieving whatever goal that JD will help to obtain. How the next person feels about the presence of a URM is irrelevant. They do not matter. What matters is that one works hard, works smart and accomplishes whatever goal was set. That is the focus. If, en route to that, one can change an attitude or change a system even better. But do not allow the attitude of others or pressure one might place on themselves to take one off track.

If one wants to practice in Southern Cali then UCLA is an option based on its rep in those legal circles. UCLA in general has issues that I do not like. What’s good is that they are known. Because we haven’t heard of issues like these at other institutions does not mean they don’t exist. They might not have come to the fore YET or simply haven’t been spoken about. My grad school was in one of the T14 and we could have made that same video back when. I get the negative feelings about UCLA, but if UCLA is an option that can help one to achieve a goal (based on $$$ they give in comparison to another school or its proximity to a desired practice area) then USE them like they use whatever URM’s who attend to proclaim their “diversity”. It is a transaction. Get yours. At the same time, If there is a better option for one’s goal, based on those factors I mentioned, then by all means forget UCLA. Whatever one chooses to do make sure you choose it based on your desires and goals not because of the attitudes of others who are, ultimately, irrelevant to those things.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Slaving away in law firms and feeling "stuck".

Most of the associates I knew bounced after three years. One black male I know left after 5 years as soon as the debt was paid off. He is now in-house with half the pay.

Each and every one of us may have different goals, but I just don't think poor folks should be asked to take out more professional school debt to be employed in an oversaturated market just to be one step closer to living that American Dream. What Dream are poor folks living if your net worth is still in the negative on the basis of educational debt??? What Dream is being lived if you gotta slave just like the non-T14 colleague with no debt who, unlike you, has the option to leave BIGLAW altogether??

Maybe I enter law school with a different perspective given what I have seen firsthand but man, it makes no sense some times.

Either way, folks with do what is best for them, even if it cost them financially and otherwise.

I think you have a refreshing point of view, contrary to the hegemonic voice hear on TLS. My thing, I don't care too much about BigLaw. However, I'm a little more ambitious in the political sense that I really want to lawyer in highly competitive government/PI positions, or go into politics. So I think I have a slightly different but similar problem in when (if they ever do) do the connections and prestige of the T-14 justify assuming greater debt, especially when you know you won't be making that much money (though they say LARP plans are supposed to mitigate this)?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”