URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
kenwash

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby kenwash » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:24 pm

coolbean2013 wrote:
kenwash wrote:
okaygo wrote:I'm beyond ready to hear about scholly from the T14s.

Same here. I still haven't gotten the a scholly email from GULC which is disappointing because it was high on my list.

Does anyone know anything about the Richman fellowship at Columbia? There is no info on TLS, and I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I interview..!

I don't know if this will be helpful at all, but I did find these two links:

https://www.law.columbia.edu/media_inqu ... man-Center

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... 15&t=60958

Good luck with your interview, that's very exciting!

Thanks for passing these along! I did find those links previously. It looks like everyone had questions about it but no one returned to follow up!

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:
mt2165 wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:Just applied for SEO and got the confirmation email! SO excited!

I have an interview with WUSTL in a couple of weeks and my UofMD decision is coming via snail mail...I wasn't expecting to have such a flurry of activity so soon after applying, esp with my numbers. Feelin' good and feelin' blessed!

I said this earlier, but it's my understanding that the WUSTL interview is really an unofficial acceptance, they just want to make sure you're not insane or anything. I'm hoping that's correct and congrats!

I'm hoping right along with you! That seems to be the general consensus in the WUSTL thread, so I'll try to chill out about it.

UofMD is officially an acceptance! I'm hoping that my acceptance streak trickles over into the T-14...

Congratulations, PW!!

Hoping the same for you!

Thanks! :D

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
Welcome, and BTW, I am a huge fan of the actress in your avatar. Black is sooo beautiful. It's awesome seeing a non-weaved successful actress in the limelight. Hollywood is drooling over her (and rightfully so)! Did you see the movie??

I DID! It was heartbreaking and she portrayed her character with the brilliant, purposeful restraint of a well-established, seasoned actress. I was SO impressed! And she makes me SO proud! I chopped off my relaxed hair and weave about 6 months ago and my hairstyle is very similar to hers; I'm loving that she is making the look a trend in Hollywood :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsu6fOZMXlM

THAT link....funniest thing I've seen in a loong time! Funny AND makes some awesome points :-)

"You look like Jordan back in the day" hahahahaha

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:15 am

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 am

Black_Swan wrote:Apple Lover(s) must check this out :lol:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLXEiMIiF5 ... LXEiMIiF5E

Haha. That's cute. I'll try it the next time I buy some.

Has anyone seen the UCLA Law 33 Video?

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 am

applelover wrote:

I actually just watched the video. I really find it quite distrubing that some of these top schools dont actually do more to attract different minority groups and give a great representation at their institutions. In all honesty I believe that is why my cycle is going the way it is. People in the majority are so afraid to see the truth. To see that distroted reflection of themselves. And when you tell them about themselves they run from it or condemn you as an extremist. It is really sad that you cannot challenge people. Its almost like they want you to assimilate and fit a particular mold of what they want to shape you in.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

Just a general question: do you guys think it would be ok to respectfully decline my group interview at Georgetown? I would go but it's a great hassle with my conference track and field meet part of that same weekend and I don't want to be doing additional traveling and all that. They said it won't negatively affect your application, but it certainly does not positively affect either. GT is certainly not among my top choices unless they throw a lot of money around.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:14 am

mt2165 wrote:Just a general question: do you guys think it would be ok to respectfully decline my group interview at Georgetown? I would go but it's a great hassle with my conference track and field meet part of that same weekend and I don't want to be doing additional traveling and all that. They said it won't negatively affect your application, but it certainly does not positively affect either. GT is certainly not among my top choices unless they throw a lot of money around.

It's ok.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 am

kenwash wrote:
okaygo wrote:I'm beyond ready to hear about scholly from the T14s.

Same here. I still haven't gotten the a scholly email from GULC which is disappointing because it was high on my list.

Does anyone know anything about the Richman fellowship at Columbia? There is no info on TLS, and I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I interview..!

If I were you I'd just reach out to GULC myself and see what happens, especially if you were already accepted when they sent out the scholarship emails.

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:28 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:
applelover wrote:

I actually just watched the video. I really find it quite distrubing that some of these top schools dont actually do more to attract different minority groups and give a great representation at their institutions. In all honesty I believe that is why my cycle is going the way it is. People in the majority are so afraid to see the truth. To see that distroted reflection of themselves. And when you tell them about themselves they run from it or condemn you as an extremist. It is really sad that you cannot challenge people. Its almost like they want you to assimilate and fit a particular mold of what they want to shape you in.

I was already turned off to UCLA when I was denied an application fee waiver (which was me just being bratty, haha), but this video only furthered my ill perception of the school. I've browsed these forums and while it seems like there are a few top schools with great support systems for black students - Harvard, Duke & UVA to name a few- the sentiment conveyed in 33 seems to be echoed at many other schools, particularly in the T-14.

I am hopeful, however, as videos like 33, intellectually charged discourse in forums like this one, and our growing presence at these law schools all build the foundation for a stronger network of URMs on campuses, allowing for more substantive support. The path is being paved, slowly but surely.
Last edited by PhenomenalWoman on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 am

mt2165 wrote:Just a general question: do you guys think it would be ok to respectfully decline my group interview at Georgetown? I would go but it's a great hassle with my conference track and field meet part of that same weekend and I don't want to be doing additional traveling and all that. They said it won't negatively affect your application, but it certainly does not positively affect either. GT is certainly not among my top choices unless they throw a lot of money around.

I think that reaching out to them and being honest about your situation is the best option.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 am

UCLA is crazy and has been crazy. I hope you guys didnt waste your money applying.

Also, I just did a little calculating and if I manage to get a minimum of 20K need based aid at a school that costs ~$50K a year, I'm looking at ~$220K of debt (living and fees included) not including interest or my UGrad debt. This terrifies me.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 am

mandyjay11 wrote:UCLA is crazy and has been crazy. I hope you guys didnt waste your money applying.

Also, I just did a little calculating and if I manage to get a minimum of 20K need based aid at a school that costs ~$50K a year, I'm looking at ~$220K of debt (living and fees included) not including interest or my UGrad debt. This terrifies me.

Well I am guilt of applying there since I want the LA or Bay Area Market. I wish I would have saved my money and just listened to my dad because UCLA doesn't seem all what it is cracked up to be. I would much rather go to USC over UCLA.

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 am

They did not get a penny of my $, but I gladly submitted a USC app :-)

I hear you on the debt. I'm kind of sucking it up though. I know what I want and I am willing to work off that debt if that is what I must do to reach my goal.

Be sure to research private scholarships and apply to as many as possible!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:42 am

PhenomenalWoman wrote:They did not get a penny of my $, but I gladly submitted a USC app :-)

I hear you on the debt. I'm kind of sucking it up though. I know what I want and I am willing to work off that debt if that is what I must do to reach my goal.

Yeah, I have. And writing a million essays for the chance to get $500-1500 before law school is not really that enticing to me.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:UCLA is crazy and has been crazy. I hope you guys didnt waste your money applying.

Well I am guilt of applying there since I want the LA or Bay Area Market. I wish I would have saved my money and just listened to my dad because UCLA doesn't seem all what it is cracked up to be. I would much rather go to USC over UCLA.

Same. However, after that article about the Black professor that I read last semester, I knew I would never attend.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
PhenomenalWoman wrote:They did not get a penny of my $, but I gladly submitted a USC app :-)

Yeah, I have. And writing a million essays for the chance to get $500-1500 before law school is not really that enticing to me.

Yeah, that's the bit that always gets me.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 am

The same Cornell student I spoke to said she will be summering at the same firm as another student at Harvard who she/he interned with during 1L summer. Only difference is, the Harvard student is 100k+ more in debt.

Riddle me this: If two schools can get you to the same position upon graduation, why take out an extra 100k in loans to get there?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:
applelover wrote:

This is why it's important to play the game. Let them hear what they want to get in the door. Once in, my brother, you can then shake things up.

Can't change the house rules if you still outside barking in their front yard. You feel me?

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:08 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

The same Cornell student I spoke to said she will be summering at the same firm as another student at Harvard who she/he interned with during 1L summer. Only difference is, the Harvard student is 100k+ more in debt.

Riddle me this: If two schools can get you to the same position upon graduation, why take out an extra 100k in loans to get there?

For prestige whores it doesn't matter the cost....but sometimes schools like H is worth it especially if you want academia later on.....

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:13 pm

NanaP wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

For prestige whores it doesn't matter the cost....but sometimes schools like H is worth it especially if you want academia later on.....

True, but how do most law students pay off the debt? Not through, academia, but BIGLAW. Not sure why being an extra 100k or more in debt makes sense if you plan to go to a law firm.

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 pm

As a Trojan, I just wanna say I love the USC love over UCLA.

However, as a minority who experienced USC firsthand, I would like to throw in my $.02. As much as this kind of stuff happens on the UCLA campus. It is ten times worse at USC. Throughout my years at SC I did not feel like the administration cared at all about the minority population because we did not have parents who gave thousands or millions to the school. For example, El Centro Chicano, which had made its home in the University Church for 40 years was forced to relocate last year without the input of the student body. The minority voice at USC is just as small as it is at UCLA. However, Both BSA and EL Centro Chicano are run by amazing people and the BLSA and LLSA are both outsatnding at the law school.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
NanaP wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

True, but how do most law students pay off the debt? Not through, academia, but BIGLAW. Not sure why being an extra 100k or more in debt makes sense if you plan to go to a law firm.

Completely agree, I have no idea how anyone can pay that debt, just imagining those folks that go to lower ranked schools with no job outcomes is scary, although most will go on the 10 year plan, IBR or whatever, but I believe you still get hit with a huge tax afterwards....hoping you all get some good scholly!

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:24 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
applelover wrote:

This is why it's important to play the game. Let them hear what they want to get in the door. Once in, my brother, you can then shake things up.

Can't change the house rules if you still outside barking in their front yard. You feel me?

That is true and I understand what you are saying. It has always been hard for me to do this for some reason. I need to learn how to work on my poker face lol. I have always been the type of person to voice myself whether the person likes it or not. Especially if they are wrong and try to hide from the truth.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 pm

applelover wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Same. However, after that article about the Black professor that I read last semester, I knew I would never attend.

I felt the same way. I am like why waste my time in even trying to attend if I was accepted to UCLA. I didn't like that at all what happened to the Black professor.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”