URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
PhenomenalWoman

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Checking in late with my fellow URMs!

I applied super late bc of financial issues securing my transcripts from my undergrad, but we'll see how it goes.

Stats are listed in my profile. My numbers aren't great, but I am an excellent writer with a foster care background and interesting softs. At this point, I consider every acceptance a blessing. So far, accepted at Pepperdine with a 60K (3 year total) Dean's Excellence Scholarship!

I hope that I enjoy half of the success floating around this thread!

Good luck to my URMs!

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:35 pm

PhenomenalWoman wrote:Checking in late with my fellow URMs!

I applied super late bc of financial issues securing my transcripts from my undergrad, but we'll see how it goes.

Stats are listed in my profile. My numbers aren't great, but I am an excellent writer with a foster care background and interesting softs. At this point, I consider every acceptance a blessing. So far, accepted at Pepperdine with a 60K (3 year total) Dean's Excellence Scholarship!

Good luck to my URMs!

Welcome!! And congrats on the acceptances thus far!!

calle_25

Postby calle_25 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Good luck to my URMs!

Welcome and best of luck!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:05 pm

calle_25 wrote:

Good luck to my URMs!

Welcome and best of luck!

+1 Welcome

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Good luck to my URMs!

Congrats on your acceptance and scholarship!!

Yaaaas2013

Postby Yaaaas2013 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm

kenwash wrote:

Good luck to my URMs!

Congrats on your acceptance and scholarship!!

+1 Congrats PhenomenalWoman and everyone else for the acceptances. I need to start restudying the LSATs as soon as I take the GRE next month.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Had a phone conversation with a current black student at Cornell today. I am quite excited to hear of the placement rate of black students from Cornell at V50 law firms (was told every black student in his/her class had firm offers except for one). The student I spoke to had over 10 offers to choose from after OCI. :o

We also spoke of Cornell's efforts to retain and grow the minority law student population. They definitely seem to be one of the few top law schools that put their money down to try and recruit minorities. They supposedly also host professional development events throughout the year for minority students and the mentorship is extensive as is the opportunities to be actively involved on journals and organizations. This black student is a president of one organization and editor-in-chief of one journal -- pretty awesome!

Location wise, he/she said that even though they are in Ithaca, the opportunities to network were far from limited as NYC isn't that far away and many employers come out to actively seek out students, especially minorities. As the Cornell community is pretty small-knit, and the minority student population even smaller, it isn't hard to stand out in the crowd. Employers definitely seek Cornell URMs out.

He/she also utilized their SEO network (looks like SEO isn't exclusively about T6 or "fuhgetaboutit"). This person turned down a T5 for Cornell, which was interesting to hear.

I am still waiting to hear back from 9 schools :? so I haven't yet made a firm decision, but Cornell is looking mighty good right now. Hopefully my visit to Cornell in the coming weeks and getting a decision from my remaining schools will help seal the deal.

Anyway, just thought I would share for those interested in Cornell. Off to finish watching some Dexter reruns. Goodnight! 8)

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:39 pm

Good luck to my URMs!

Welcome, and BTW, I am a huge fan of the actress in your avatar. Black is sooo beautiful. It's awesome seeing a non-weaved successful actress in the limelight. Hollywood is drooling over her (and rightfully so)! Did you see the movie??

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks for the love and warm welcome, everyone!

I posted in some of the school-specific threads and didn't get any replies. This thread is very refreshing and I hope that I experience this type of camaraderie with fellow URMs on the campus of my future law school! :D

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Good luck to my URMs!

Welcome, and BTW, I am a huge fan of the actress in your avatar. Black is sooo beautiful. It's awesome seeing a non-weaved successful actress in the limelight. Hollywood is drooling over her (and rightfully so)! Did you see the movie??

I DID! It was heartbreaking and she portrayed her character with the brilliant, purposeful restraint of a well-established, seasoned actress. I was SO impressed! And she makes me SO proud! I chopped off my relaxed hair and weave about 6 months ago and my hairstyle is very similar to hers; I'm loving that she is making the look a trend in Hollywood :)
Last edited by PhenomenalWoman on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm

coolbean2013 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Just want to say congrats to everyone ITT, we are KILLING it. Does my heart proud to see all the URM success.

+1

+100

+1000. Seems like I missed a lot since I been gone. Congrats everyone!!!!

DPhoenix

Postby DPhoenix » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Had a phone conversation with a current black student at Cornell today. I am quite excited to hear of the placement rate of black students from Cornell at V50 law firms (was told every black student in his/her class had firm offers except for one). The student I spoke to had over 10 offers to choose from after OCI. :o

We also spoke of Cornell's efforts to retain and grow the minority law student population. They definitely seem to be one of the few top law schools that put their money down to try and recruit minorities. They supposedly also host professional development events throughout the year for minority students and the mentorship is extensive as is the opportunities to be actively involved on journals and organizations. This black student is a president of one organization and editor-in-chief of one journal -- pretty awesome!

Location wise, he/she said that even though they are in Ithaca, the opportunities to network were far from limited as NYC isn't that far away and many employers come out to actively seek out students, especially minorities. As the Cornell community is pretty small-knit, and the minority student population even smaller, it isn't hard to stand out in the crowd. Employers definitely seek Cornell URMs out.

He/she also utilized their SEO network (looks like SEO isn't exclusively about T6 or "fuhgetaboutit"). This person turned down a T5 for Cornell, which was interesting to hear.

I am still waiting to hear back from 9 schools :? so I haven't yet made a firm decision, but Cornell is looking mighty good right now. Hopefully my visit to Cornell in the coming weeks and getting a decision from my remaining schools will help seal the deal.

Anyway, just thought I would share for those interested in Cornell. Off to finish watching some Dexter reruns. Goodnight! 8)

Thanks for sharing this!

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:40 am

Good luck to my URMs!

Welcome to the thread and congrats on all of your acceptances so far.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:15 am

AAJD2B wrote:Had a phone conversation with a current black student at Cornell today. I am quite excited to hear of the placement rate of black students from Cornell at V50 law firms (was told every black student in his/her class had firm offers except for one). The student I spoke to had over 10 offers to choose from after OCI. :o

This is great info. Thanks for sharing!

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 am

Thanks for the info AAJD!

coolbean2013

Postby coolbean2013 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:

Good luck to my URMs!

coolbean2013

Postby coolbean2013 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:40 am

femmefatale wrote:

This is great info. Thanks for sharing!

+1 thank you very much for sharing this with us!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks AAJD! This is very helpful. :D

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

coolbean2013 wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Good luck to my URMs!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 am

Was anyone else Waitlisted at UVA, are you guys staying on? I am not sure that I really want to.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am

mandyjay11 wrote:Was anyone else Waitlisted at UVA, are you guys staying on? I am not sure that I really want to.

If I were you I wouldn't- you've got M and P, with Penn being your first choice anyway. Plus you can still use Mich to potentially negotiate with Penn.

Now if it were me, I would've ridden the wait list till like November :lol:

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Michigan extended their app deadline for anyone who wanted to apply, but didn't get the chance to.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 pm

okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:Was anyone else Waitlisted at UVA, are you guys staying on? I am not sure that I really want to.

If I were you I wouldn't- you've got M and P, with Penn being your first choice anyway. Plus you can still use Mich to potentially negotiate with Penn.

Now if it were me, I would've ridden the wait list till like November :lol:

HAHA! Girl it would be second semester and you would still be holding on tight to that waitlist ahaha

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you for this! You seem to know a good amount of Black students in Law school. Is there anyway you can do something like this for other schools?
If you have the contacts of course .

LawSchoolOrNah

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Anyone know the average time between a JS1 and a decision? My hand has been glued to my phone and I can't seem to bring myself to answer any unknown calls that aren't from MA. :shock:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”