URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:23 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:I was thinking about u Michigan. Still on the fence.


it's one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, t14s -- that said, if I get into NYU or Columbia, i'll probably be going there

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:25 pm

californiauser wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:I was thinking about u Michigan. Still on the fence.


it's one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, t14s -- that said, if I get into NYU or Columbia, i'll probably be going there


Like cheapest ASW? Or cheapest COA?

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:27 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:I was thinking about u Michigan. Still on the fence.


it's one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, t14s -- that said, if I get into NYU or Columbia, i'll probably be going there


Like cheapest ASW? Or cheapest COA?


cheapest COA -- which is huge plus for me if I don't get into a T6, for comparison, NU is 50k more expensive if you compare the two at sticker

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:28 pm

okaygo wrote:FWIW one of the attorneys at DOJ graduated from Michigan and she says it was the best decision she ever made. She chose there over Harvard.


Wow! Did she say why she chose UM over H and why it was such a good decision?

User avatar
calle_25
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby calle_25 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
calle_25 wrote:Just wanted to share that I got into NYU today! First T14 acceptance so super excited!!!



Congrats!! Same here. Now, I feel pretty excited about the rest of my cycle. :)


Congrats to you as well Coco! Here's to an awesome cycle :)

Thanks everyone for the love. I love all the positivity in this thread!!!

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:35 pm

californiauser wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:I was thinking about u Michigan. Still on the fence.


it's one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, t14s -- that said, if I get into NYU or Columbia, i'll probably be going there


Like cheapest ASW? Or cheapest COA?


cheapest COA -- which is huge plus for me if I don't get into a T6, for comparison, NU is 50k more expensive if you compare the two at sticker


That's definitely good to know.
EvMont wrote:
okaygo wrote:FWIW one of the attorneys at DOJ graduated from Michigan and she says it was the best decision she ever made. She chose there over Harvard.


Wow! Did she say why she chose UM over H and why it was such a good decision?


Interesting Okaygo! I'd like to know why she chose UM too

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm

EvMont wrote:
okaygo wrote:FWIW one of the attorneys at DOJ graduated from Michigan and she says it was the best decision she ever made. She chose there over Harvard.


Wow! Did she say why she chose UM over H and why it was such a good decision?


She did, actually. She's not from either area so it wasn't for location purposes, and she ended up even paying sticker at Michigan.

Her main incentive she said was felt that Michigan had a career services that was more oriented towards PI. She felt that HLS push for corporate was too overwhelming (her sibling went to Harvard and hated it, so there's bias there).

Also, a 3L there from Columbia says he doesn't like his schools career services because it doesn't have the PI focus he wants. He says he wishes he went to NYU.

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby EvMont » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

okaygo wrote:
EvMont wrote:
okaygo wrote:FWIW one of the attorneys at DOJ graduated from Michigan and she says it was the best decision she ever made. She chose there over Harvard.


Wow! Did she say why she chose UM over H and why it was such a good decision?


She did, actually. She's not from either area so it wasn't for location purposes, and she ended up even paying sticker at Michigan.

Her main incentive she said was felt that Michigan had a career services that was more oriented towards PI. She felt that HLS push for corporate was too overwhelming (her sibling went to Harvard and hated it, so there's bias there).

Also, a 3L there from Columbia says he doesn't like his schools career services because it doesn't have the PI focus he wants. He says he wishes he went to NYU.


Thanks for sharing, okaygo. This is really interesting.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

EvMont wrote:
okaygo wrote:
EvMont wrote:
okaygo wrote:FWIW one of the attorneys at DOJ graduated from Michigan and she says it was the best decision she ever made. She chose there over Harvard.


Wow! Did she say why she chose UM over H and why it was such a good decision?


She did, actually. She's not from either area so it wasn't for location purposes, and she ended up even paying sticker at Michigan.

Her main incentive she said was felt that Michigan had a career services that was more oriented towards PI. She felt that HLS push for corporate was too overwhelming (her sibling went to Harvard and hated it, so there's bias there).

Also, a 3L there from Columbia says he doesn't like his schools career services because it doesn't have the PI focus he wants. He says he wishes he went to NYU.


Thanks for sharing, okaygo. This is really interesting.


+1

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:49 pm

The attorneys and legal interns there allow me to pick their brains daily (and TLS is right, basically everyone went to a T14), so if you all have any questions you want me to shoot at them just let me know. :D

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby californiauser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:04 pm

okaygo wrote:The attorneys and legal interns there allow me to pick their brains daily (and TLS is right, basically everyone went to a T14), so if you all have any questions you want me to shoot at them just let me know. :D


Which school do they think are worth sticker nowadays? (i.e. 250k+, not what sticker was 10 years ago)

thanks

Ben Reilly
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Ben Reilly » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
calle_25 wrote:Just wanted to share that I got into NYU today! First T14 acceptance so super excited!!!



Congrats!! Same here. Now, I feel pretty excited about the rest of my cycle. :)



I guess they were doing a bunch of calls today. I got my NYU acceptance call today while I was at work. Totally caught me off guard.

Congratulations to you two!!! I always loved coming in this thread in years previous and seeing all of the acceptance posts and it feels even better now that I'm a part of it.

User avatar
coolbean2013
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby coolbean2013 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Huge congrats to all the new acceptances ITT!!

Image

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ThePiedPiper » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:18 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Image

Image

Cue the twerk team for all the NYU acceptances today!!! Congrats everybody!!!

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Cocoblues » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the support ITT.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Cocoblues » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:
calle_25 wrote:Just wanted to share that I got into NYU today! First T14 acceptance so super excited!!!



Congrats!! Same here. Now, I feel pretty excited about the rest of my cycle. :)



I guess they were doing a bunch of calls today. I got my NYU acceptance call today while I was at work. Totally caught me off guard.

Congratulations to you two!!! I always loved coming in this thread in years previous and seeing all of the acceptance posts and it feels even better now that I'm a part of it.


Congrats Ben! And thanks!

Image
Last edited by Cocoblues on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cocoblues
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Cocoblues » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 pm

And 100 posts!!!!!! I can finally post images!!!


Image

Image

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 pm

congrats to everyone who got acceptances!! it's awesome how much people are crushing this cycle!

here's my congrats gif and it comes with a question. what's better: getting a T14 acceptance or sex? i still haven't received a T14 acceptance so one of you all will have to let me know what you think :lol:

Image


ETA: that's not a ban-able gif, right? haha

User avatar
femmefatale
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby femmefatale » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Still waiting.

All I ask is that I don't get any bad news on my birthday.

The schools wouldn't be that cruel....would they? :oops:

User avatar
femmefatale
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby femmefatale » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 pm

calle_25 wrote:Just wanted to share that I got into NYU today! First T14 acceptance so super excited!!!


That's an awesome first acceptance. Congrats!

User avatar
ChuggaChuggaChooChoo
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ChuggaChuggaChooChoo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:48 pm

While everyone's acceptances are great, I definitely think you all deserve a congrats on your top notch GIF skills lmao

Also congrats to the new wave of acceptances

Ben Reilly
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Ben Reilly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks a lot everyone!

I came here to see the acceptances, but I think I'll stay for the GIFs.

mac2013
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mac2013 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:50 am

ChuggaChuggaChooChoo wrote:While everyone's acceptances are great, I definitely think you all deserve a congrats on your top notch GIF skills lmao

Also congrats to the new wave of acceptances


+1
I need to get to 100 posts so I can join in!

Kool-Aid
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Kool-Aid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Congrats on the success everyone is having! It's really refreshing to come in this thread everyday and lurk! :D

alllaweverything
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby alllaweverything » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:03 pm

hi guys!

i've been lurking for forever and ever. just wanted to say congrats to everybody and that i appreciate the kindness in this thread. y'all are awesome. i really hope to meet some of you once the first day of classes rolls around (or, at the very least, at a few ASWs)!

i was in yesterday's wave of NYU admits, so i'm really happy about that. i've also got a few other T14 acceptances, with S as my primary contender for now.

keep the positivity going and best wishes to all of you as we push through the rest of the cycle!




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help and 2 guests