URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
mandyjay11

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 pm

applelover wrote:Congrats Tosh and Mandy!!!

Thanks apple! Congrats to you too!

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:30 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:Waitlisted by USC. My cycle is just so weird

Who else are we waiting on?

Given your current acceptances, which school are you leaning towards? Is it now or never or will you reapply?

Hang in there, brother.

I am waiting on quite a few schools. I applied to alot. But in the T14 i am waiting on Duke, Berkeley, Columbia, and Cornell. Which the first 3 are real reaches because they seem to like high GPAs. I am not in a do or die type of mode but I do want to attend law school this year. I may just attend William and Mary and transfer if I dont like it. Just going to remain optimistic

William and Mary is a good school! Did you apply to UCLA as well or just USC?

blackandstrong

Postby blackandstrong » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:31 pm

In at George Washington University Law School. Also in at Howard. Way below 25% LSAT and above 75% GPA for George Washington. Wonder how I got in. But, I'm happy. I'm sure the consensus is to attend George Washington, right?

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm

blackandstrong wrote:In at George Washington University Law School. Also in at Howard. Way below 25% LSAT and above 75% GPA for George Washington. Wonder how I got in. But, I'm happy. I'm sure the consensus is to attend George Washington, right?

Congrats!!!

mandyjay11 wrote:
applelover wrote:Congrats Tosh and Mandy!!!

Thanks apple! Congrats to you too!

Thanks Mandy!!

I'm so proud of the URMs in this thread.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:39 pm

blackandstrong wrote:In at George Washington University Law School. Also in at Howard. Way below 25% LSAT and above 75% GPA for George Washington. Wonder how I got in. But, I'm happy. I'm sure the consensus is to attend George Washington, right?

Firstly, congrats, but the answer to your question is it depends.

Have you applied to comparable or higher ranked schools? Are you still awaiting word on those? Has GW offered you any money?? If so, does it come with stipulations? What are your career goals?

GW is one of the most expensive universities out there and their job prospects are OK, just not the strongest in the DC region. If you're going to make a gamble like that, make sure it's worth your while. They need to throw some money at you, especially given the amount of money they ask for to secure your seat deposit.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:41 pm

So much for our slow cycle :lol:

blackandstrong

Postby blackandstrong » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Have you applied to comparable or higher ranked schools? Are you still awaiting word on those? Has GW offered you any money?? If so, does it come with stipulations? What are your career goals?

GW is one of the most expensive universities out there and their job prospects are OK, just not the strongest in the DC region. If you're going to make a gamble like that, make sure it's worth your while. They need to throw some money at you, especially given the amount of money they ask for to secure your seat deposit.

I have a full ride at Howard. I'm not sure on scholarships at GW since they told me they would send that out later. I have applied to comparable and higher ranked schools, and I am eager to see movement on them. As of yet, I have not. My career goal for right now is to go into corporate law.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 pm

applelover wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:Waitlisted by USC. My cycle is just so weird

Who else are we waiting on?

Given your current acceptances, which school are you leaning towards? Is it now or never or will you reapply?

Hang in there, brother.

I am waiting on quite a few schools. I applied to alot. But in the T14 i am waiting on Duke, Berkeley, Columbia, and Cornell. Which the first 3 are real reaches because they seem to like high GPAs. I am not in a do or die type of mode but I do want to attend law school this year. I may just attend William and Mary and transfer if I dont like it. Just going to remain optimistic

William and Mary is a good school! Did you apply to UCLA as well or just USC?

Yeah that's why I figured if I do end up just deciding on William and Mary I actually wouldn't be disappointed. I applied to UCLA too. However, I wasn't accepted. I don't think they liked my personal statement. All the schools I heard from whether I was admitted, denied, or wait listed said they enjoyed reading it and that they were proud of me for standing my ground and speaking the truth on what happens in American Society to Black Males. Saying it was gutsy and risky. But worth it. The only schools who didn't mention my personal statement was UCLA and WUSTL.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 pm

blackandstrong wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

I have a full ride at Howard. I'm not sure on scholarships at GW since they told me they would send that out later. I have applied to comparable and higher ranked schools, and I am eager to see movement on them. As of yet, I have not. My career goal for right now is to go into corporate law.

In the case I think the consensus would be to wait it out, and, if you haven't already done so apply to SEO.

Are you looking to start out in the DC area?

calle_25

Postby calle_25 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Congratulations to all with new acceptances these past few days! So very happy for everyone! I am waiting on lots of decisions (9 to be exact) but you all are giving me hope. I just went complete on the majority of schools so I know my wait is going to be loooooooong.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:56 pm

toshiroh wrote:Accepted at my first school. It's my regional, FSU, but still… just feels good to have at least one under my belt lol.

Congrats bro on the FSU acceptance!!!

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:04 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Sooo Howard just accepted me and sent me a status checker 10 minutes after the acceptance email... I applied Feb 5th. That was pretty fast

D.C. Chillin' Mandy still Killin'!!! Congrats on the Howard acceptance!!!

blackandstrong

Postby blackandstrong » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
blackandstrong wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

In the case I think the consensus would be to wait it out, and, if you haven't already done so apply to SEO.

Are you looking to start out in the DC area?

Yeah, I think I'll follow your advice and will definitely apply to SEO now that I have GW under my belt. And, yes, I would preferably want to stay in DC. My twin is there now working, and I'd love to have that family support.

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 pm

okaygo wrote:So much for our slow cycle :lol:

I mean, where do i begin?! Congrats all!

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:

Jodieeeeeeeeee!!!!! I CANNOT stop watching this gif! So simple and yet so gooood! Love it!

Congrats everyone who got accepted today!

And Pied, it so is not over yet. Use any disappointment you might feel about that waitlist to remind yourself just why you want USC so much and channel that into a killer LOCI. You got this!

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 am

I'm not applying to UCLA, but I didn't know that there were only 33 black students out of 1,100 -- in a school in LA. Are any AA URMs applying to UCLA? I wonder what people think of this:

http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/02/ ... video.html

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34 pm

EvMont wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:

Jodieeeeeeeeee!!!!! I CANNOT stop watching this gif! So simple and yet so gooood! Love it!

Congrats everyone who got accepted today!

And Pied, it so is not over yet. Use any disappointment you might feel about that waitlist to remind yourself just why you want USC so much and channel that into a killer LOCI. You got this!

PiedPiper, I agree with this 1000%. You got it. Ball out. (Kevin Hart voice).

Thanks for the gif love EvMont!

logicspeaks

Postby logicspeaks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:I'm not applying to UCLA, but I didn't know that there were only 33 black students out of 1,100 -- in a school in LA. Are any AA URMs applying to UCLA? I wonder what people think of this:

http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/02/ ... video.html

I have ties to SoCal so I applied to UCLA and hope they throw some good money my way. While I am disappointed about what's discussed in this video, I'm not discouraged. But then again, I attend an undergrad with a huge majority of minorities so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm grossly underestimating how such a lack of diversity can have an effect.

LawSchoolOrNah

Postby LawSchoolOrNah » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Been lurking around the forums for quite some time now with a couple of posts here and there. Definitely love the URM support in this thread, so I figured I'd hop in on here for continued positivity.

Glad to see everyone's cycles are going well, I don't have much to share but here it is:

AA Male, numbers I'll keep quiet on until I stumble upon a miraculous acceptance, however just got my JS1 pretty recently :D ! Haven't heard back from any other schools as of yet but I'm hoping for the best.

alpwilliams

Postby alpwilliams » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Does it mean anything if it took a while for your file to become complete (month)?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 pm

LawSchoolOrNah wrote:Been lurking around the forums for quite some time now with a couple of posts here and there. Definitely love the URM support in this thread, so I figured I'd hop in on here for continued positivity.

Glad to see everyone's cycles are going well, I don't have much to share but here it is:

AA Male, numbers I'll keep quiet on until I stumble upon a miraculous acceptance, however just got my JS1 pretty recently :D ! Haven't heard back from any other schools as of yet but I'm hoping for the best.

Congrats and welcome!

alpwilliams wrote:Does it mean anything if it took a while for your file to become complete (month)?

What school??

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 pm

depends on COA

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Sooo Howard just accepted me and sent me a status checker 10 minutes after the acceptance email... I applied Feb 5th. That was pretty fast

that's gotta be a record or somthing

calle_25

Postby calle_25 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Just wanted to share that I got into NYU today! First T14 acceptance so super excited!!!

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:26 pm

calle_25 wrote:Just wanted to share that I got into NYU today! First T14 acceptance so super excited!!!

Congrats!!! Starting off strong!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”