URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
DPhoenix

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby DPhoenix » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
El Principe wrote:Congrats to everyone too. Making me consider retaking and waiting a year. Best I've gotten thus far is Vandy... Still waiting on Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown & UT.

Vandy is very good though. Congrats on that acceptance.

Pied, what's going on with your cycle?? You've been so busy congratulating everyone else. I am dying to start sending congratulations your way my brother!

+1 Pied shows love to everyone on the thread.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
El Principe wrote:Congrats to everyone too. Making me consider retaking and waiting a year. Best I've gotten thus far is Vandy... Still waiting on Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown & UT.

Pied, what's going on with your cycle?? You've been so busy congratulating everyone else. I am dying to start sending congratulations your way my brother!

Lol mine doesn't have all the allure you guys are having. You all are killing it. And I'm so happy for you all. So far I am IN: University of Washington, Illinois, Washington & Lee, SMU, Hastings, and Chicago-Kent. W/L Chicago :shock: . Out Penn, NYU, Depaul, WUSTL, Michigan and UCLA they snatched me bald. I think my unpredictable cycle had something to do with my controversial personal statement. My advice to future applicants don't take unnecessary risk lol. Still waiting on a lot more schools so I don't know whats going to happen for me.

DPhoenix

Postby DPhoenix » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Lol mine doesn't have all the allure you guys are having. You all are killing it. And I'm so happy for you all. So far I am IN: University of Washington, Illinois, Washington & Lee, SMU, Hastings, and Chicago-Kent. W/L Chicago :shock: . Out Penn, NYU, Depaul, WUSTL, Michigan and UCLA they snatched me bald. I think my unpredictable cycle had something to do with my controversial personal statement. My advice to future applicants don't take unnecessary risk lol. Still waiting on a lot more schools so I don't know whats going to happen for me.

Congrats on your acceptances! Hope you have more coming your way.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

Congrats bro! You have some good options there. Are you staying on the WL at Chicago?? Did you apply to Cornell? Northwestern? Emory? USC? Vandy? I know I am missing others.

I'm surprised at WUSTL. Their loss.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks DPhoenix and AAJD2B I really appreciate it. I am going to ride out the Chicago WL and see what comes of it. I did apply to Cornell, Northwestern, USC and Vandy. I actually just checked my status checker for USC and it says Decision Finalized so now I have to wait and see. Didn't apply to Emory even though I received snail mail and emails from them. I am actually surprised with WUSTL too. But I thought it may have been my personal statement. Which addressed the problems of race, class and society. In particular concerning the Black male and how we are viewed in today's society and forced to assimilate into a culture and country who doesn't really care for us as individuals. I was very candid with my words to say the least.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:Thanks DPhoenix and AAJD2B I really appreciate it. I am going to ride out the Chicago WL and see what comes of it. I did apply to Cornell, Northwestern, USC and Vandy. I actually just checked my status checker for USC and it says Decision Finalized so now I have to wait and see. Didn't apply to Emory even though I received snail mail and emails from them. I am actually surprised with WUSTL too. But I thought it may have been my personal statement. Which addressed the problems of race, class and society. In particular concerning the Black male and how we are viewed in today's society and forced to assimilate into a culture and country who doesn't really care for us as individuals. I was very candid with my words to say the least.

We need more black men like you in law school. I hope we get to attend the same law school or at the least, be colleagues in the profession. Please be sure to keep in touch.

GL with USC. I have a good feeling about Cornell for you.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:13 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:Thanks DPhoenix and AAJD2B I really appreciate it. I am going to ride out the Chicago WL and see what comes of it. I did apply to Cornell, Northwestern, USC and Vandy. I actually just checked my status checker for USC and it says Decision Finalized so now I have to wait and see. Didn't apply to Emory even though I received snail mail and emails from them. I am actually surprised with WUSTL too. But I thought it may have been my personal statement. Which addressed the problems of race, class and society. In particular concerning the Black male and how we are viewed in today's society and forced to assimilate into a culture and country who doesn't really care for us as individuals. I was very candid with my words to say the least.

I kinda talked about that in my diversity statement, but I didn't go as far as saying society doesn't care about us.

Will keep that in mind if I decide to wait and take another grab. Your WL and Chicago kinda makes me wish I applied higher because it looks like you aimed at similar schools like me. Of course problem is, all of the high ranked ones I'm looking at will likely be near sticker, if not sticker... and I'm not sure that's a good idea, except, maybe Duke... maybe.

Decisions. Of course, my mother and family want me to go straight in, saying don't worry about the debt, but of course, they aren't offering to pay, nor could they even if they wanted to, so I'm still in between a rock and a hard place.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Glad to see you considered applying this year! Would you attend any of the aforementioned at sticker if no dinero comes through?

Missed this post, but maybe Duke... and maybe Georgetown. I could see myself working on the East, and they do have good job prospects, especially compared to my other acceptances (LSU, Alabama, WUSTL[pending interview *knocks on wood*] ) and if that ends up being a Wash, firms in Texas prefer T14 to schools like Texas/Vandy/WUSTL.

But all that debt, even then, idk. I really don't want to wait, especially now that I heard that schools are reluctant to send out fee waivers when people reapply.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Pied you are definitely my pick for King of ecouragement in here, HANDS DOWN!

You have some great acceptances and you should be soooo proud of all the work it probably took to get them! Don't ever second guess speaking your mind and speaking the truth. If you think about it, if you didn;t write it you would be, essentially, going against exactly what you wrote about...if that makes sense!

Anyways, totally the loss of the schools that didnt accept you! Good luck with the rest of this crazy cycle though. I know it's all going to turn out for the best for you and for all of us!

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

You have some great acceptances and you should be soooo proud of all the work it probably took to get them! Don't ever second guess speaking your mind and speaking the truth. If you think about it, if you didn;t write it you would be, essentially, going against exactly what you wrote about...if that makes sense!

Anyways, totally the loss of the schools that didnt accept you! Good luck with the rest of this crazy cycle though. I know it's all going to turn out for the best for you and for all of us!

+1 Good luck with the USC decision, hope you get it. Ride that Chicago wait list to the end and hopefully you get in as well.

BobMoses

Postby BobMoses » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Nova wrote:
El Principe wrote:
BobMoses wrote:Congrats to everybody today! This thread has been pretty active.

I was T-14 or bust, but not sure anymore. UT has complicated things for me. I have no clue what I'm going to do right now. Waiting for schools to send out info on $$$, plus I have a process at NYU I need to see through as well. I may not make my decision until the last second :|

Take your time. UT's a real good school depending on what market you're looking at. If you're looking for Texas and they put $$$ on the table, I think it's a no brainer.

+1

UT can definitely be a great option under the right circs

I agree, that's why my decision has become a tough one to make. UT gave me full tuition :shock:
I have to visit and gather more info on the outcomes for minorities

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm

How old is everyone in here. I feel like the crypt keeper. When law school starts I'll be 25, currently 24 );

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:36 pm

toshiroh wrote:How old is everyone in here. I feel like the crypt keeper. When law school starts I'll be 25, currently 24 );

Older than you :)

BobMoses

Postby BobMoses » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

toshiroh wrote:How old is everyone in here. I feel like the crypt keeper. When law school starts I'll be 25, currently 24 );

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

nabadgelyo wrote:

Older than you too. I turned 26 this past December.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 pm

BobMoses wrote:

I'll be 25 in June... ugh.. old lady coming through

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
BobMoses wrote:

I love Y'ALL!!!!!! Now I don't feel all elderly lol

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:42 pm

toshiroh wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
BobMoses wrote:

<3 <3 hearts for the "bring me my cane" gang

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

+1 Good luck with the USC decision, hope you get it. Ride that Chicago wait list to the end and hopefully you get in as well.

Thank you Mandy and Dr. Zero I really appreciate it. Mandy what you said makes a lot of sense. And Dr. Zero I am going to ride the waist list forever at Chicago and see if I get off.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

We need more black men like you in law school. I hope we get to attend the same law school or at the least, be colleagues in the profession. Please be sure to keep in touch.

GL with USC. I have a good feeling about Cornell for you.

Thank you AAJD2B I really appreciate it. I hope we cross paths at the same law school as well. And I will keep in touch.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:13 am

My cycle got me like:

:lol:

Hopefully I have some movement soon

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 am

BobMoses wrote:

Pozzy

Postby Pozzy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:53 am

toshiroh wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
BobMoses wrote:

yes. i'm 26 & (still) stressed about this cycle. sent a bunch of apps. idk if my choices were realistic. ah wells.

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:15 am

ttime97 wrote:
mac2013 wrote:
EvMont wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:

Crazy how it happened in the thread too!!! CONGRATS BLACKBIRD!!!!

YES!!! CONGRATS!!!!! Hopefully schools will sprinkle some more love on this thread before the weekend.

Congrats! Hoping they keep calling URMs!

Lol they did! In at Stanford today too. Congrats blackbird!

Congrats ttime97 and Blackbird!!

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 am

I'll be 24 next month, but I feel much older.

Not in a I've-had-a-bunch-of-meaningful-experiences-that-have-matured-me kinda way. My back just hurts when it rains and can no longer binge drink without being brutally hungover the next day.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”