URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:30 pm

kinda off topic but i'm annoyed about this and wanted to share..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/julianne-hough-wore-blackface-for-her-halloween-costume

but seriously, blackface in 2013? what the actual f*ck :evil:

User avatar
Quan292
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 2:03 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Quan292 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Halloween is terrible because shit like this always happen.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:18 pm

yeah, i guess tis the season for racist costumes.. i saw a few pictures of a guy in blackface as a dead trayvon martin and a guy in a neighborhood watch shirt who is supposed to george zimmerman. it's actually just disgusting.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:27 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:Do you guys think two pages double-spaced is too long for a diversity statement? I think I got carried away.... :oops:


Yeah probably a little too long, Penn requires all supplementary essays to be less than 1 page. I'm pretty sure a few other schools do as well



Hmmm, really? My diversity statement is two pages. For my Penn app I attached it as an addenda and not as an optional essay. I was told this was OK, though I understand most guidelines say one page for a DS.


"Please limit any optional essay to one page, double spaced and title it appropriately."

sassybassy
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby sassybassy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:36 pm

lemons wrote:yeah, i guess tis the season for racist costumes.. i saw a few pictures of a guy in blackface as a dead trayvon martin and a guy in a neighborhood watch shirt who is supposed to george zimmerman. it's actually just disgusting.


I didn't see the Hough photo as racist (though I do agree that the Trayvon costume you are describing is). I think people oversimplify the history of black face. She didn't enlarged her lips for the costume, act like a clown, or in any way attempt to amplify stereotypical perceptions of African Americans or mock the character she was playing. She simply put on a costume because she wanted to look like this woman. I don't think that's racist or offensive.

However, I could be missing something crucial in all of this. But if it's just the costume, then no.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby lemons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 pm

.
Last edited by lemons on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:56 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:The pretentiousness of some posters on TLS. My gosh, it's sickening. These are some of the people we will be in school with :cry: :roll: :?



Preach... I think it will be even worse in law school because these behaviors will go unchecked.


I was just thinking this. I hope I can survive because my personality is not even close to being like some of these prospectives.


Wow, really? You're so nice though. I doubt it will be this bad at Penn. :D

And what happened on TLS ? Is it the LSAT waiting thread?



Aww thanks, girl!

Your write up of Penn was great. I never visited any of the New York Schools so it's nice to know that they don't look better. We might be hardpressed to find a school that looks better, now that I think about it.

Also, the waiting thread just has people with some weird personalities, but you're right, it won't be as bad at Penn! :D :D :D

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

Preach... I think it will be even worse in law school because these behaviors will go unchecked.


I was just thinking this. I hope I can survive because my personality is not even close to being like some of these prospectives.


Wow, really? You're so nice though. I doubt it will be this bad at Penn. :D

And what happened on TLS ? Is it the LSAT waiting thread?



Aww thanks, girl!

Your write up of Penn was great. I never visited any of the New York Schools so it's nice to know that they don't look better. We might be hardpressed to find a school that looks better, now that I think about it.

Also, the waiting thread just has people with some weird personalities, but you're right, it won't be as bad at Penn! :D :D :D


Penn is my number 1, but I am starting to think I might actually want to live outside this state for the first time.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Penn is my number 1, but I am starting to think I might actually want to live outside this state for the first time.


I KNOW! I have been here since I started undergrad in 2007. If I get into Penn maybe I will move to the city, since I have never lived there. It would be so nice to get away.

I do hear of people doing like semester exchange programs to schools like UCLA or Stanford, so that's an option to get away. Also, SEO and summer SA's will give us some time away from Pennsylvania as well.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:34 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Penn is my number 1, but I am starting to think I might actually want to live outside this state for the first time.


I KNOW! I have been here since I started undergrad in 2007. If I get into Penn maybe I will move to the city, since I have never lived there. It would be so nice to get away.

I do hear of people doing like semester exchange programs to schools like UCLA or Stanford, so that's an option to get away. Also, SEO and summer SA's will give us some time away from Pennsylvania as well.


Speaking of SEO, have you guys submitted apps already?

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Penn is my number 1, but I am starting to think I might actually want to live outside this state for the first time.


I KNOW! I have been here since I started undergrad in 2007. If I get into Penn maybe I will move to the city, since I have never lived there. It would be so nice to get away.

I do hear of people doing like semester exchange programs to schools like UCLA or Stanford, so that's an option to get away. Also, SEO and summer SA's will give us some time away from Pennsylvania as well.


Speaking of SEO, have you guys submitted apps already?


Nope was waiting till i at least submit my apps

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm in love with this thread. I don't know why I spend so much time lurking in the October Waiter's thread. This place is much more my speed.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Penn is my number 1, but I am starting to think I might actually want to live outside this state for the first time.


I KNOW! I have been here since I started undergrad in 2007. If I get into Penn maybe I will move to the city, since I have never lived there. It would be so nice to get away.

I do hear of people doing like semester exchange programs to schools like UCLA or Stanford, so that's an option to get away. Also, SEO and summer SA's will give us some time away from Pennsylvania as well.


Speaking of SEO, have you guys submitted apps already?


Nope was waiting till i at least submit my apps


Yes, waiting for my apps to be ready to go. Also, maybe an October score if that ever comes out :roll:

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 pm

How long of a gap are you guise giving in between receiving your score and trying to solicit fee waivers? A week? I know early is anything before Thanksgiving, and we're kind of cutting it close to that it seems.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 pm

okaygo wrote:How long of a gap are you guise giving in between receiving your score and trying to solicit fee waivers? A week? I know early is anything before Thanksgiving, and we're kind of cutting it close to that it seems.



I might start like a week before thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was my personal deadline for all my applications.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:38 pm

okaygo wrote:How long of a gap are you guise giving in between receiving your score and trying to solicit fee waivers? A week? I know early is anything before Thanksgiving, and we're kind of cutting it close to that it seems.


I have LSAC waiver so I'm good to go, minus Stanford. I think I have to solicit one.

All my apps are filled out as well, I'm just waiting to figure out if I'll need to add the December retake or not to my apps before hitting submit.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:40 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:How long of a gap are you guise giving in between receiving your score and trying to solicit fee waivers? A week? I know early is anything before Thanksgiving, and we're kind of cutting it close to that it seems.



I might start like a week before thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was my personal deadline for all my applications.


Gotcha. I think I still need to sharpen up my PS and certainly my DS so I'm cutting it close. Are all of your lors and transcript stuff in as well?

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 pm

okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:How long of a gap are you guise giving in between receiving your score and trying to solicit fee waivers? A week? I know early is anything before Thanksgiving, and we're kind of cutting it close to that it seems.



I might start like a week before thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was my personal deadline for all my applications.


Gotcha. I think I still need to sharpen up my PS and certainly my DS so I'm cutting it close. Are all of your lors and transcript stuff in as well?



Yes! I gave my recommenders a Labor day deadline so I wouldnt have any issues. My transcripts took all of 1 week to be sent and processed.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:How long of a gap are you guise giving in between receiving your score and trying to solicit fee waivers? A week? I know early is anything before Thanksgiving, and we're kind of cutting it close to that it seems.



I might start like a week before thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was my personal deadline for all my applications.


Gotcha. I think I still need to sharpen up my PS and certainly my DS so I'm cutting it close. Are all of your lors and transcript stuff in as well?



Yes! I gave my recommenders a Labor day deadline so I wouldnt have any issues. My transcripts took all of 1 week to be sent and processed.


Shit thanks for that reminder, recommender was supposed to send in letter last weekend but never did.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Shit thanks for that reminder, recommender was supposed to send in letter last weekend but never did.


Yeah! gotta get on that. But your in PA, right? They literally processed mine in less than a week once it was mailed.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Ugh, jeal of both of you. I do have one recommender, and my transcripts. But my other two lors are lagging. One was from a department of the federal government so my timeline ended up all messed up and blaaaah. So I'll probably just end up using my one from an adviser of an org I'm in.

Honestly, probably whichever I get first.

ALSO AM I THE ONLY PERSON FREAKING. OUT. ABOUT SCORES MAYBE TOMORROW??? OR???????????

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:51 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:Shit thanks for that reminder, recommender was supposed to send in letter last weekend but never did.


Yeah! gotta get on that. But your in PA, right? They literally processed mine in less than a week once it was mailed.


I think my person will just submit it online, which will make it even faster.

But its still painful having to wait on someone else. I think they've been "working on it" for about 3 months.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 pm

okaygo wrote:Ugh, jeal of both of you. I do have one recommender, and my transcripts. But my other two lors are lagging. One was from a department of the federal government so my timeline ended up all messed up and blaaaah. So I'll probably just end up using my one from an adviser of an org I'm in.

Honestly, probably whichever I get first.

ALSO AM I THE ONLY PERSON FREAKING. OUT. ABOUT SCORES MAYBE TOMORROW??? OR???????????


I honestly just want the damn score back, not really nervous because there is the possibility of Dec.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
okaygo wrote:Ugh, jeal of both of you. I do have one recommender, and my transcripts. But my other two lors are lagging. One was from a department of the federal government so my timeline ended up all messed up and blaaaah. So I'll probably just end up using my one from an adviser of an org I'm in.

Honestly, probably whichever I get first.

ALSO AM I THE ONLY PERSON FREAKING. OUT. ABOUT SCORES MAYBE TOMORROW??? OR???????????


I honestly just want the damn score back, not really nervous because there is the possibility of Dec.


My issue is december would be my third retake for 2 years and I would have to sit out for 2 years if it doesnt go well. I dont really like that feeling. I think if Oct doesnt go well, I might sit out until June

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Yeah, I know the feeling. That's how I felt in June. But at this point I know for a fact that I'm not going to be retaking in December, since I walked out of October feeling like that's the best I could've possible done so it is what it is.

still, a sub 160 would be devastating.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests