URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ChuggaChuggaChooChoo

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ChuggaChuggaChooChoo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:09 pm

EvMont wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Ahhhhhh just got into WUSTL and Vanderbilt today!! Feeling good! Supposed to be hearing back from Duke this week!

Two in one day?! Congrats!

Congrats! I got Vandy today as well...that acceptance package is no joke

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm

mt2165 wrote:Ahhhhhh just got into WUSTL and Vanderbilt today!! Feeling good! Supposed to be hearing back from Duke this week!

Congrats! Got into Vandy last week and I'm waiting for my interview with WUSTL.

How do you know you'll be hearing back from Duke this week?

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

El Principe wrote:

Congrats! Got into Vandy last week and I'm waiting for my interview with WUSTL.

How do you know you'll be hearing back from Duke this week?

Hint: I think the WUSTL interview is really a last chance for them as an admissions committee to make sure you're not insane and it's basically an unofficial acceptance notification. And I was originally Priority Track but they wanted my fall grades and I forgot to add the addendum for the JD/MA program so they told me they'd get back to me this week.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Since you received two acceptances its only right you get two gifs!!! Congrats on the WUSTL Acceptance!!! #GoodDeal

Congrats on the Vandy Acceptance!!! #GoodDeal

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Congrats on the acceptances!!! :D

coolbean2013

Postby coolbean2013 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Cocoblues wrote:Congrats on the acceptances!!! :D

BobMoses

Postby BobMoses » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:01 pm

coolbean2013 wrote:

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Question for those of you who have already submitted your Need Access application:

Have any of you had issues with the non-custodial parent part of it? That is, you were raised by a single parent or otherwise just can't fill out the info for the second parent. Is it possible to submit the app with out that part? And has that held things up for you with schools?

Thanks in advance!

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 pm

EvMont wrote:Question for those of you who have already submitted your Need Access application:

Have any of you had issues with the non-custodial parent part of it? That is, you were raised by a single parent or otherwise just can't fill out the info for the second parent. Is it possible to submit the app with out that part? And has that held things up for you with schools?

Thanks in advance!

+1 interested in this as well

DPhoenix

Postby DPhoenix » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:35 pm

BobMoses wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:

+1

ChuggaChuggaChooChoo

Postby ChuggaChuggaChooChoo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 pm

EvMont wrote:Question for those of you who have already submitted your Need Access application:

Thanks in advance!

I plan on submitting without this...but it would be nice to know for sure

I can't imagine this being necessary, but I remember having to write a confirmation for this part of the app when applying for Fin Aid before undergrad

ie saying your mom/dad wasn't in your life or whatever the case may be

sherealcool

Postby sherealcool » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:56 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

+1 interested in this as well

My father died, so when I filled out need access I put his old job/address and then wrote "DECEASED." In the additional info section, I wrote that he died in such and such a year just for good measure. I was shocked that you couldn't check a box or anything for "deceased." It's a huge loophole in their application process.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm

So we can submit our form without filling out the non-custodial part?? My parents are divorced. Would I have to add the same information under parent form for the non-custodial form?

sherealcool

Postby sherealcool » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 pm

AAJD2B wrote:So we can submit our form without filling out the non-custodial part?? My parents are divorced. Would I have to add the same information under parent form for the non-custodial form?
No, they won't let you submit without filling out the non-custodial parent part. See this thing from yale:

"***Please Note: Students whose parents are divorced or separated must submit a Need Access analysis for both natural parents."

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/fina ... ssment.htm

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

sherealcool wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So we can submit our form without filling out the non-custodial part?? My parents are divorced. Would I have to add the same information under parent form for the non-custodial form?
No, they won't let you submit without filling out the non-custodial parent part. See this thing from yale:

"***Please Note: Students whose parents are divorced or separated must submit a Need Access analysis for both natural parents."

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/fina ... ssment.htm

Ok thanks. I have yet to complete the parent form, but does it ask for information for each parent (ie parent 1 and 2)?

Or can I input info for one parent in the parent form and the other parent in the non-custodial form?

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 am

Zero motivation to write my Yale two fidy =/

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Zero motivation to write my Yale two fidy =/

You can do it!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:33 am

So I was speaking to an HBCU grad who then went on to an Ivy law school and she said that as minorities, we should try and get as cheap an undergrad degree as possible and gun for a top law school, preferably with an Ivy brand. She said its a given that URM + Ivy law degree = many many more opportunities.

What do you guys think about this?? Is an Ivy league law degree the way to go no matter the rankings or $$$ provided by non-Ivy law schools?

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am

AAJD2B wrote:So I was speaking to an HBCU grad who then went on to an Ivy law school and she said that as minorities, we should try and get as cheap an undergrad degree as possible and gun for a top law school, preferably with an Ivy brand. She said its a given that URM + Ivy law degree = many many more opportunities.

What do you guys think about this?? Is an Ivy league law degree the way to go no matter the rankings or $$$ provided by non-Ivy law schools?

I think it really depends on what kind of law you're going into, from what I've heard. Is your friend in BigLaw? Big Law, like the business world it serves, is incredibly prestige conscious, so I see what she's saying w/r/t Vault50 firms or whatev. I think that if you want to be a public defender or work for a small or medium sized firm (or hang out your own shingle) the answer might be different.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 am

nabadgelyo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So I was speaking to an HBCU grad who then went on to an Ivy law school and she said that as minorities, we should try and get as cheap an undergrad degree as possible and gun for a top law school, preferably with an Ivy brand. She said its a given that URM + Ivy law degree = many many more opportunities.

I think it really depends on what kind of law you're going into, from what I've heard. Is your friend in BigLaw? Big Law, like the business world it serves, is incredibly prestige conscious, so I see what she's saying w/r/t Vault50 firms or whatev. I think that if you want to be a public defender or work for a small or medium sized firm (or hang out your own shingle) the answer might be different.

Yes, she worked as a lit associate at a V5 law firm. I also plan on going the BIGLAW route.

nabadgelyo

Postby nabadgelyo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:44 am

AAJD2B wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote:

Yes, she worked as a lit associate at a V5 law firm. I also plan on going the BIGLAW route.

Got it. In that case, I wonder why she says ivy? I think NYU is still more prestigious than Cornell, right?

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 am

nabadgelyo wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
nabadgelyo wrote:

Got it. In that case, I wonder why she says ivy? I think NYU is still more prestigious than Cornell, right?

I think the Ivy label is more important at the undergrad level, than it is at the post grad level. I also think it's important to remember that most people can't even name all 8 Ivies. Heck, sometimes I'm convinced there are only 7 (Ooops! *shrugs*). So, I wouldn't put too much stock in the label. I'd take NYU law with $$$ over Cornell and it's Ivy label any damn day.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:52 am

Ev, what if it's a choice between NYU with no money and Cornell with $$$?

Nabadgelyo, true but I still think the Cornell name is more easily recognizable than the NYU name, especially overseas. Cornell's alumni network runs deep...as is the case for any Ivy I would imagine.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Zero motivation to write my Yale two fidy =/

Same.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Ev, what if it's a choice between NYU with no money and Cornell with $$$?

Nabadgelyo, true but I still think the Cornell name is more easily recognizable than the NYU name, especially overseas. Cornell's alumni network runs deep...as is the case for any Ivy I would imagine.

Cornell's alumni network probably does run deep, but Cornell Law's alumni network would be more important to you, for awhile at least.

NYU's class size is larger and has been ranked in the top 6 for a long time, which means that in the legal community their name is very well known and their alumni network is actually larger just due to sheer numbers alone.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”