URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Finally, Finally, Finally improved on reading comp. Once I stopped trying to write on the page and write notes to the side, I finally improved and found a method that works for me. Just read the damn passage and answer the questions lol. -1 on reading comp PT56. So pumped.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Florida316 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:What kind of URM are you? Incidentally, we had another URM poster last cycle start off with a low 160s score retake and then get into both Harvard and Stanford. Moral of the story -- retake that 161 if you have the opportunity to. ;)

I'm Mexican American. At this point a December retake for this cycle will probably not get me a much higher score. I am happy being outside of YHS. NYU/Berkeley are probably my top reaches. If I bomb this cycle, I will definitely retake and go for round two next year.

I mean, bomb is kind of relative. You'll get into some super great schools I'm sure, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got money at UVA and whatnot. Last cycle a bloke had a GPA lower than yours with a 165 (he was also Mexican-American) and got into both H and S.

Anyway. Don't sell yourself short on the December retake -- at the very least get your LG down to -0 consistently. That's not a super difficult thing to accomplish.

Good luck mate. :)

lemons

Postby lemons » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:54 pm

toshiroh wrote:Finally, Finally, Finally improved on reading comp. Once I stopped trying to write on the page and write notes to the side, I finally improved and found a method that works for me. Just read the damn passage and answer the questions lol. -1 on reading comp PT56. So pumped.

lol i read this and thought you were talking about the Oct. test haha i got really excited but to no avail... but i am excited that you are getting RC down :) that was one of the sections that gave me difficulties too

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:09 am

lemons wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Finally, Finally, Finally improved on reading comp. Once I stopped trying to write on the page and write notes to the side, I finally improved and found a method that works for me. Just read the damn passage and answer the questions lol. -1 on reading comp PT56. So pumped.

lol i read this and thought you were talking about the Oct. test haha i got really excited but to no avail... but i am excited that you are getting RC down :) that was one of the sections that gave me difficulties too

I did the exact same thing. Here's hoping for a rare weekend release.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:20 pm

toshiroh wrote:The pretentiousness of some posters on TLS. My gosh, it's sickening. These are some of the people we will be in school with :cry: :roll: :?

Preach... I think it will be even worse in law school because these behaviors will go unchecked.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:05 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:Do you guys think two pages double-spaced is too long for a diversity statement? I think I got carried away.... :oops:

Yeah probably a little too long, Penn requires all supplementary essays to be less than 1 page. I'm pretty sure a few other schools do as well

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Quan292 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:The pretentiousness of some posters on TLS. My gosh, it's sickening. These are some of the people we will be in school with :cry: :roll: :?

Preach... I think it will be even worse in law school because these behaviors will go unchecked.

I was just thinking this. I hope I can survive because my personality is not even close to being like some of these prospectives.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Quan292 wrote:

They remind me of some people I know that think they are funny and witty because they can quote movie lines all day.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

They remind me of some people I know that think they are funny and witty because they can quote movie lines all day.

As a reapplicant I will say this: I went to some minority student weekends and some regular ASWs last year and the personality differences of the students were night and day. I think the generally positive, try to support each other vibe of this thread carries over into how a lot of URM law students treat each other. Of course there are still some pretentious URMs just like there are some great non-URMs.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:49 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

As a reapplicant I will say this: I went to some minority student weekends and some regular ASWs last year and the personality differences of the students were night and day. I think the generally positive, try to support each other vibe of this thread carries over into how a lot of URM law students treat each other. Of course there are still some pretentious URMs just like there are some great non-URMs.

That's really good to know!

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:18 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

I didn't know schools had minority ASW, that's pretty cool. Which schools have these?

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:29 pm

californiauser wrote:
I didn't know schools had minority ASW, that's pretty cool. Which schools have these?

I went to some t25 ones last year. For some it's a an extra full-fledged weekend, for some it's only an extra dinner for URMs. I'm not sure if any t14 schools have them. (If anyone wants specific details feel free to PM me).

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:37 pm

There are separate ASW's specifically for URMs? That's weird, didn't know that.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:51 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:There are separate ASW's specifically for URMs? That's weird, didn't know that.

The one's that I went to were all right before the regular ASW so it was a 3 or 4 day program instead of the usual 2.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:54 pm

MoMettaMonk wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:There are separate ASW's specifically for URMs? That's weird, didn't know that.

The one's that I went to were all right before the regular ASW so it was a 3 or 4 day program instead of the usual 2.

What do they have to say URMs that they don't to non-URMs? Or is it just more to introduce incoming students of the various diversity based activities and stuff on campus?

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
MoMettaMonk wrote:

What do they have to say URMs that they don't to non-URMs? Or is it just more to introduce incoming students of the various diversity based activities and stuff on campus?

Mainly the latter. When I went the dates lined up with a major BLSA event, so there was a pretty substantial networking component to the whole thing as well.

lemons

Postby lemons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 am

what do y'all think are the odds of scores being released monday? it's almost certain right? blerg, i'm still checking the lsac website every so often even though I know the likelihood of scores coming out at midnight on the weekend are close to nil :?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:32 am

lemons wrote:what do y'all think are the odds of scores being released monday? it's almost certain right? blerg, i'm still checking the lsac website every so often even though I know the likelihood of scores coming out at midnight on the weekend are close to nil :?

2 days before scheduled release has been the average.

However, Spivey heard that it was going to be the 29th or 31st from two different sources. He said they could be wrong though.

lemons

Postby lemons » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:36 am

Mojosodope wrote:
lemons wrote:what do y'all think are the odds of scores being released monday? it's almost certain right? blerg, i'm still checking the lsac website every so often even though I know the likelihood of scores coming out at midnight on the weekend are close to nil :?

However, Spivey heard that it was going to be the 29th or 31st from two different sources. He said they could be wrong though.

yikes, i dunno how i would handle it if they were to come out on the 31st!! that would leave one day to decide if I want to ED at a lot of places... and the waiting is just killing me :(

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:45 am

lemons wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

yikes, i dunno how i would handle it if they were to come out on the 31st!! that would leave one day to decide if I want to ED at a lot of places... and the waiting is just killing me :(

Yeah, I can't even imagine throwing the stress of trying to decide whether to ED on top of the general holy crap what's my score what if I have to retake stress I'm already feeling. Hopefully grey day will be Monday (ugh too much time spent lurking the October waiting thread).

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 am

MoMettaMonk wrote:
lemons wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Yeah, I can't even imagine throwing the stress of trying to decide whether to ED on top of the general holy crap what's my score what if I have to retake stress I'm already feeling. Hopefully grey day will be Monday (ugh too much time spent lurking the October waiting thread).

A lot of nonsense in that thread

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks.
Last edited by AAJD2B on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

I was just thinking this. I hope I can survive because my personality is not even close to being like some of these prospectives.

Wow, really? You're so nice though. I doubt it will be this bad at Penn. :D

And what happened on TLS ? Is it the LSAT waiting thread?

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 am

Mojosodope wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:Do you guys think two pages double-spaced is too long for a diversity statement? I think I got carried away.... :oops:

Yeah probably a little too long, Penn requires all supplementary essays to be less than 1 page. I'm pretty sure a few other schools do as well

Hmmm, really? My diversity statement is two pages. For my Penn app I attached it as an addenda and not as an optional essay. I was told this was OK, though I understand most guidelines say one page for a DS.

essyct

Postby essyct » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 am

AAJD2B wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Quan292 wrote:

Wow, really? You're so nice though. I doubt it will be this bad at Penn. :D

And what happened on TLS ? Is it the LSAT waiting thread?

After the posts about how the LSAT went, it just goes WAY downhill from there. lol Thankfully, they will not all be going to the same law school because otherwise I'm sure that would be one crazy experience. :lol:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”