URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
urbanecologie

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby urbanecologie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 am

abdcefjj wrote:For anyone interested in social justice lawyering/PI, http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2425&context=llr is a great overview of some of the frustrations both with the term "public-interest," which some (and being the Left-y I am, I'm inclined to agree) feel is WAY too inclusive, and also with some of the ways that legal education forces prospective social justice lawyers to "adopt
a professional identity that unduly limits their way of envisioning and experiencing law and lawyering to something that, more often than not, is divorced from social justice."

It's good stuff and something I've been thinking about ever since I decided to apply to law school. In the midst of adjusting to "thinking like a lawyer" (whatever that means) , how will I handle receiving an education where many of the (white, straight, middle-class) professors will be teaching us things based on tacit assumptions (that law itself is neutral, that lawyering is objective, that it is possible to separate legal issues from their cultural contexts, that emotionality and rationality are opposed to each other) that I do not necessarily hold? How will I handle having a very different internship/job search schedule when all my firm-bound friends float through OCI (lol I know they don't float they work their asses, off, but still)? One thing I'm thinking about doing is developing my own "alternative syllabus" of texts to read before law school, like the radical version of One L or Getting to Maybe, lol. Or maybe there is something like that already out there? I'm sure there is, just don't know what it is.

I'm also debating how much I'll want to call ish out in classes. I've been in predominantly white institutions for so long now that I've kinda given up calling out racism and sexism in many contexts. It's just too exhausting and the payoff is rarely worth it. Part of me wants to just ignore all the racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic BS I'm sure I'll hear in classes and just keep my eyes on the ultimate goal. But then I wonder whether I would be squandering an opportunity to "teach" (that sounds arrogant, but it's kinda the truth sometimes) others about how/why their actions/words are messed up.

Anyway sorry this was kinda long, and totally derailing whatever SEO convo was happening, but I'm just wondering whether any of y'all are thinking about this too. It's really difficult to find threads on TLS that REALLY talk about social justice, as opposed to just "How to work at the ACLU/ land a Skadden Fellowship." I get that part of the reason why that is the case is because this website attracts a very self-selecting group of people (and I'm now one of them so no self-righteousness there, lol), but still. Hot damn. It's kinda scary/frustrating.

which is why I posted this here. where the cool people are at :D

Good thoughts! Perhaps we should make a separate thread to discuss?

In terms of left lawyering and determining what role, if any, attorneys have in creating true social change, I'd recommend checking out Dean Spade. He's a professor at Seattle University Law School and founder of the Sylvia Rivera Law Project. SRLP provides a suite of services to trans persons; they've created what I think it the first legal clinic doing this work. In light of the Cece McDonald case, I've been quite inspired by Dean's ability to work within the legal framework and aid a population that is desperate for legal assistance, but often overlooked by the legal establishment. As opposed to just theorizing, he's creating change in a tangible way.

Here's a good introduction to Dean.
http://www.guernicamag.com/interviews/spade_3_1_11/

Did I mention that he tithes much of his $120,000/yr salary?
http://www.enoughenough.org/2009/04/the ... ew-salary/

And his Poverty Law course looks pretty cool. It allows students to both understand poverty and find ways the legal community can contribute in this arena.
http://www.enoughenough.org/2008/10/tea ... verty-law/

I'm not applying until next cycle, but I'd love to hear more on your pre-law reading list. When you mentioned the "radical version of One L," are you referring to Doin' Time on the Farm?

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 pm

coolbean2013 wrote:
twenty wrote:Thanks for the support guys. :')

Backup plan at this point is an ED to GULC PT while working full time in DC. Talked to my union rep today, and it looks like I can transfer very easily to headquarters in DC. I don't like the idea of going to GULC at sticker, but I'd make enough money working to cover the cost of attendance/housing and still be in the black.

Alternative from that is going for a military commission.

Still haven't heard back from any other T14 at this point. Penn was my first ding.

I'm super happy for you guys, obviously. I think the URMs are kicking ass this cycle, which makes me incredibly proud of ya'll. That said, if anyone has a Duke/UVA/Northwestern at sticker offer they don't want, feel free to throw it my way. :D

We're all rooting for you twenty! I'm hoping for some great news to come your way soon!!

+1 Hang in there Twenty. Hopefully something good will happen before the end of the cycle.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:

Backup plan at this point is an ED to GULC PT while working full time in DC. Talked to my union rep today, and it looks like I can transfer very easily to headquarters in DC. I don't like the idea of going to GULC at sticker, but I'd make enough money working to cover the cost of attendance/housing and still be in the black.

Still haven't heard back from any other T14 at this point. Penn was my first ding.

I'm super happy for you guys, obviously. I think the URMs are kicking ass this cycle, which makes me incredibly proud of ya'll. That said, if anyone has a Duke/UVA/Northwestern at sticker offer they don't want, feel free to throw it my way. :D

We're all rooting for you twenty! I'm hoping for some great news to come your way soon!!

+1 Hang in there Twenty. Hopefully something good will happen before the end of the cycle.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Does anybody know the next SEO deadline?

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:06 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:Does anybody know the next SEO deadline?

February 1 and then february 15

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:09 pm

applelover wrote:

1st and the 20th.

http://www.seocareer.org/applicant-reso ... -deadlines

Anyone else interviewing this week? GL. I still have some prepping to do.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:30 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:

1st and the 20th.

Thanks for correcting that.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:30 pm

One day this week hopefully, I will finally write that 1 paragraph response.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Hey guys congrats to everyone, this is really exciting! I was notified last week that I was accepted at Howard with a full ride and a small stipend. They were my safety but it feels great! I pretty much blanketed the top-14. At what point or under what circumstance do you all think it would be wise to strongly consider Howard?

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:08 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:

1st and the 20th.

And same. This Thursday in NYC. Pretty nervous/excited. I'm honestly growing up too fast.

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:09 pm

mt2165 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
applelover wrote:

1st and the 20th.

And same. This Thursday in NYC. Pretty nervous/excited. I'm honestly growing up too fast.

Interviewing in the coming week. Skype! good luck to other interviewers.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:46 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:Interviewing in the coming week. Skype! good luck to other interviewers.

My permanent address is the city I put as my first choice, but I currently attend school 4.5 hours away. I'm really hoping that if I get invited to interview, they won't ask me to drive home on a weekday. I would prefer to just do it over skype.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:58 pm

applelover wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:Interviewing in the coming week. Skype! good luck to other interviewers.

My permanent address is the city I put as my first choice, but I currently attend school 4.5 hours away. I'm really hoping that if I get invited to interview, they won't ask me to drive home on a weekday. I would prefer to just do it over skype.

Good luck to all the interviewees!!! And Apple you are most definitely getting invited for an interview. You have been slaying this cycle :D

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:05 pm

mt2165 wrote:Hey guys congrats to everyone, this is really exciting! I was notified last week that I was accepted at Howard with a full ride and a small stipend. They were my safety but it feels great! I pretty much blanketed the top-14. At what point or under what circumstance do you all think it would be wise to strongly consider Howard?

First off before I answer the question I want to say congratulations on the acceptance!!! That is great!!! Now to the question at hand. I think you consider Howard if you don't break the T14 or get into a very good regional school with better employment placement than Howard outside the T14 that have a great brand name and can go national. I.E. Your Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, George Washington, William and Mary, Emory, etc... If I am making a mistake someone in the ITT will correct me. Again congrats on your acceptance!!! :D

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 pm

applelover wrote:

I'm a few hours from my interview site but I preferred to do it over skype as well. They should give you a choice of the interview type.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Hey guys congrats to everyone, this is really exciting! I was notified last week that I was accepted at Howard with a full ride and a small stipend. They were my safety but it feels great! I pretty much blanketed the top-14. At what point or under what circumstance do you all think it would be wise to strongly consider Howard?

First off before I answer the question I want to say congratulations on the acceptance!!! That is great!!! Now to the question at hand. I think you consider Howard if you don't break the T14 or get into a very good regional school with better employment placement than Howard outside the T14 that have a great brand name and can go national. I.E. Your Texas, Vandy, UCLA, USC, George Washington, William and Mary, Emory, etc... If I am making a mistake someone in the ITT will correct me. Again congrats on your acceptance!!! :D

You're spot on.

Congratulations on Howard!!

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:39 pm

applelover wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:
coolbean2013 wrote:

GL twenty!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 am

For those of us interested in a career in corporate law, below is an interesting read. The legal market is truly no longer the same:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/busin ... krupt.html

carmensandiego

Postby carmensandiego » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:44 am

AAJD2B wrote:For those of us interested in a career in corporate law, below is an interesting read. The legal market is truly no longer the same:

$10,500 for alimony per month. Jesus.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:53 am

carmensandiego wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:For those of us interested in a career in corporate law, below is an interesting read. The legal market is truly no longer the same:

$10,500 for alimony per month. Jesus.

Divorce is expensive.

But seriously, since when is a 375k a year salary not sufficient enough ? He can find ways to not pay $2400 in rent per month, $550 in transportation and $600 a month in food. It's called living way below your means. New Yorkers making considerably less are able to live decently and still save. Why can't he?

What I wasn't aware of is this niche position even in partnership - servicing partner, where you eat the crumbs of equity partners who have the clients. I would truly hate to be in that position.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Dude makes $375,000 but is still broke. What is life?

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Okay, call me crazy, but as someone who has lived in NYC, that guy's expenses don't seem super extravagant to me. While $2400/month for rent is on the high side in most cities, it is not on the high side in NYC. I'd be surprised if he could afford a 1BR place in most Manhattan neighborhoods for that amount of money. His transportation costs seem a bit high, but his food expenses don't. NYC is just expensive, especially if you have to pay more than half of your salary after taxes in alimony. Morals of the story: corporate law is less lucrative than 0Ls are led to believe and be careful whom you marry.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:40 pm

teampeeta wrote:Okay, call me crazy, but as someone who has lived in NYC, that guy's expenses don't seem super extravagant to me. While $2400/month for rent is on the high side in most cities, it is not on the high side in NYC. I'd be surprised if he could afford a 1BR place in most Manhattan neighborhoods for that amount of money. His transportation costs seem a bit high, but his food expenses don't. NYC is just expensive, especially if you have to pay more than half of your salary after taxes in alimony. Morals of the story: corporate law is less lucrative than 0Ls are led to believe and be careful whom you marry.

Moral of the story: Divorce is expensive. Guy doesn't need to live in Manhattan nor does he need more than a Subway pass for a couple hundred a month.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:41 pm

teampeeta wrote:Okay, call me crazy, but as someone who has lived in NYC, that guy's expenses don't seem super extravagant to me. While $2400/month for rent is on the high side in most cities, it is not on the high side in NYC. I'd be surprised if he could afford a 1BR place in most Manhattan neighborhoods for that amount of money. His transportation costs seem a bit high, but his food expenses don't. NYC is just expensive, especially if you have to pay more than half of your salary after taxes in alimony. Morals of the story: corporate law is less lucrative than 0Ls are led to believe and be careful whom you marry.

I was raised in and currently live in NYC. I occasionally shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and lease an apt here. A monthly Metrocard is $110 and can get you anywhere around NYC. Food for two grown adults doesn't cost me more than $400 a month. It's called cooking food at home, shopping on bargains and coupons, and not eating at expensive restaurants.

As for apartments, you can get decent apartments for $900 - $1500/month in Queens and BK, even Harlem. My 1 bedroom spacious and modern apartment cost $900/month and I am close to about 4 subways and several buses.

This fellow sounds like he is placing his hand where he can't reach.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:43 pm

californiauser wrote:

Moral of the story: Divorce is expensive. Guy doesn't need to live in Manhattan nor does he need more than a Subway pass for a couple hundred a month.

And the church said "Amen".

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”