URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
XicaDaSilva

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby XicaDaSilva » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:15 am

AAJD2B wrote:So I have to muster the energy to complete the following outstanding items:

Why statements for:
Columbia
UPenn
Berkeley
Michigan
Duke

I didn't think it was necessary for Harvard as I can explain why Harvard should I be granted the chance to have a JS1. I did one for Stanford and UVA. None for Chicago (they seem to prefer bare minimum), Georgetown or Northwestern (also have the opportunity to explain via interview). Cornell leaves room in their app to explain why I am interested, so I didn't bother here either.

Should I add any others?

I also need to write my AnBryce statement, after which I should be done on my end! I just need my LSAT score LSAC, please and thanks. Hoping for a Friday or Monday score release.

I've been considering writing unsolicited "Why" statements, but I'm trying to understand the value. How did you decide to write them?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:25 am

XicaDaSilva wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:So I have to muster the energy to complete the following outstanding items:

Why statements for:
Columbia
UPenn
Berkeley
Michigan
Duke

I didn't think it was necessary for Harvard as I can explain why Harvard should I be granted the chance to have a JS1. I did one for Stanford and UVA. None for Chicago (they seem to prefer bare minimum), Georgetown or Northwestern (also have the opportunity to explain via interview). Cornell leaves room in their app to explain why I am interested, so I didn't bother here either.

Should I add any others?

I also need to write my AnBryce statement, after which I should be done on my end! I just need my LSAT score LSAC, please and thanks. Hoping for a Friday or Monday score release.

I've been considering writing unsolicited "Why" statements, but I'm trying to understand the value. How did you decide to write them?

I am for sure writing one for Penn and Duke because I truly have a connection to those schools for a number of reasons including location, programs, and faculty.

I got a waiver for Chicago and I read their website and it looks like they arent really thrilled with generic "why" statements and I really have no compelling "Why Chicago" so I probably won't write one.

I am only writing whys for my top choices and they are my top choices because I found something about their school to be particularly interesting.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 am

Why statements for:
Columbia
UPenn
Berkeley
Michigan
Duke

Should I add any others?

So you did a "Why Georgetown" or did you answer an optional question and just make it into a "Why G-town" statement ?

XicaDaSilva

Postby XicaDaSilva » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 am

AAJD2B wrote:I am for sure writing one for Penn and Duke because I truly have a connection to those schools for a number of reasons including location, programs, and faculty.

I got a waiver for Chicago and I read their website and it looks like they arent really thrilled with generic "why" statements and I really have no compelling "Why Chicago" so I probably won't write one.

I am only writing whys for my top choices and they are my top choices because I found something about their school to be particularly interesting.

Okay that makes sense - I am definitely going to write one for Penn. So much work left to do...

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Is everyone writing diversity statements?

I already submitted my apps and didn't send one, now I'm second guessing myself. I don't feel like I have anything exceptional to write about.

AA male for what it's worth.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:33 pm

californiauser wrote:Is everyone writing diversity statements?

I already submitted my apps and didn't send one, now I'm second guessing myself. I don't feel like I have anything exceptional to write about.

I'm definitely not writing one. I'm writing why statements for some of the schools and possibly (probably) an addendum. I'm sure if I tried I could come up with something for the DS, but I just don't want to. I think at some point, it's just overkill.

amb89

Postby amb89 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:54 pm

\
Last edited by amb89 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:04 pm

I did one for almost every school I applied to.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 pm

I only wrote them for schools that like YP: Duke, Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, Penn

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

Why statements for:
Columbia
UPenn
Berkeley
Michigan
Duke

Should I add any others?

So you did a "Why Georgetown" or did you answer an optional question and just make it into a "Why G-town" statement ?

I didn't write one because Georgetown isn't really a top choice for me. Also, I am being lazy.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

I only wrote them for schools that like YP: Duke, Michigan, UVA, Berkeley, Penn

I see. I wrote "Why?" statements for all of those schools -- I feel better now :lol:

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm

amb89 wrote:Hey guys i have a few questions. I graduate in Dec from a state school and i am taking the LSAT in December. My junior and senior year has consisted of ALL online classes, meaning i have never met any of these professors. My freshmen year consisted of a couple face to face classes, but the class size was big enough to the point the professors probably have no idea who i am. So My plan was to take the LSAT in Dec and once i have my score use that as a reason to ask for reccomendations. Since our scores don't come out until Jan, if i were to wait until after the scores come out to get my recs sent in, would that be enough time for them to be sent with my apps. Is this even a possibility??? The schools i want to go to have a deadline of Feb. Also, are we required to send in evaluations? I have a 3.4 but i dropped a good amount of classes in my first two years due to stress balancing school and work. Plan on getting a 165-170 on LSAT. Thanks in advance

You should try and get your recs sent in early enough so by the time your December scores come in it would be a matter of just hitting send. Why would you need a score to get a rec? They can speak to your participation online and classwork product without needing a reason why you are applying to law school. Ask for recs today if you can.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:30 pm

I wrote one because my PS was about something totally unrelated. Is anyone else freaking out about the Yale 250?

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:34 pm

I wrote one after speaking with the NYU dean. Although he said it's not required, I got the vibe that it's a good idea. I took the "How would you add to the diversity of the student body" question literally though and used the extra space to talk about the diversity of my experiences, how they make me unique, and how the add to my perspective on life and scholarly issues. There's noone else with my combination of experiences - ergo, I'm diverse. P.S. I'm AA too.

I didn't want to take the "You told Harpo to beat me" route. (Lol. I don't know what that's supposed to mean)

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:58 pm

sassybassy wrote:

I wrote one after speaking with the NYU dean. Although he said it's not required, I got the vibe that it's a good idea. I took the "How would you add to the diversity of the student body" question literally though and used the extra space to talk about the diversity of my experiences, how they make me unique, and how the add to my perspective on life and scholarly issues. There's noone else with my combination of experiences - ergo, I'm diverse. P.S. I'm AA too.

I didn't want to take the "You told Harpo to beat me" route. (Lol. I don't know what that's supposed to mean)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

amb89

Postby amb89 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:08 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
amb89 wrote:Hey guys i have a few questions. I graduate in Dec from a state school and i am taking the LSAT in December. My junior and senior year has consisted of ALL online classes, meaning i have never met any of these professors. My freshmen year consisted of a couple face to face classes, but the class size was big enough to the point the professors probably have no idea who i am. So My plan was to take the LSAT in Dec and once i have my score use that as a reason to ask for reccomendations. Since our scores don't come out until Jan, if i were to wait until after the scores come out to get my recs sent in, would that be enough time for them to be sent with my apps. Is this even a possibility??? The schools i want to go to have a deadline of Feb. Also, are we required to send in evaluations? I have a 3.4 but i dropped a good amount of classes in my first two years due to stress balancing school and work. Plan on getting a 165-170 on LSAT. Thanks in advance

You should try and get your recs sent in early enough so by the time your December scores come in it would be a matter of just hitting send. Why would you need a score to get a rec? They can speak to your participation online and classwork product without needing a reason why you are applying to law school. Ask for recs today if you can.

TBH i assumed professors would be unwilling to write a rec for someone they have never met. Im not even sure how to approach it.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I did, but ist more about growing up poor than it is about my race.
I think I may hold out on Why statements for if/when I get waitlisted.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't understand the logic behind not writing a "why X" statement.

Aren't you scurred of getting YP'd? It seems to happen every year.

Also, why not write a DS?

Aren't you afraid it'll hurt you?

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:I don't understand the logic behind not writing a "why X" statement.

I keep going back and forth on writing a DS. I think my PS covers my ethnic/socio-economic background sufficiently. I don't want to be redundant and give adcoms more to read just for the sake of it.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:I don't understand the logic behind not writing a "why X" statement.

I keep going back and forth on writing a DS. I think my PS covers my ethnic/socio-economic background sufficiently. I don't want to be redundant and give adcoms more to read just for the sake of it.

I'm writing one for sure.

I really want to make it clear that I'm black/brown and poor. I could write a book about it.

sassybassy

Postby sassybassy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

I really want to make it clear that I'm black/brown and poor. I could write a book about it.

I'm curious, are you MA and AA? Black/brown

Also, I've always wondered about this angle. How are you using your mixed heritage and poor upbringing to discuss how you'll add diversity to the student body?

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

I think we could co-author that! haha

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:02 pm

I'd rather not write one than write one that underwhelms.

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:05 pm

californiauser wrote:

I'd rather not write one than write one that underwhelms.

yeah, i'm kinda in agreement with californiauser... i don't know that a ds that basically says "i'm a person of color, admit me!" helps, especially if ethnicity is mentioned in the ps. it's kinda like with letters of rec.. i was told by an admissions person that 2 is good unless the third shows something different from the rest of the application. it makes me think that adcomms don't like redundancy :)

also, californiauser, what part of cali are you from? I grew up in a suburb of LA, and most of my family is in East LA :P

lemons

Postby lemons » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Also, tonight is Scandal! i'm supposed to be writing my 2nd PS but instead I am on here :lol:

Did anyone see this:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/scandal-controversial-fan-blogger-disclosed-abc-exec-article-1.1495307

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”