URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 pm

okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:No, I would consider attending any school with my program over HYS if it offers me the right amount of $$$. I just visited CLS and didn't feel like it would be the right fit for me. But the only reason I'm holding out is because if I'm admitted and if I receive money, I want to use that to negotiate with NYU.


Gotcha. That's the only reason I really applied to Cornell (to negotiate with GULC).
Just curious though, what are you referring to when you say 'my program'?


She actually means a Law School Twerk Team...don't let her fool you

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby applelover » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:No, I would consider attending any school with my program over HYS if it offers me the right amount of $$$. I just visited CLS and didn't feel like it would be the right fit for me. But the only reason I'm holding out is because if I'm admitted and if I receive money, I want to use that to negotiate with NYU.


Gotcha. That's the only reason I really applied to Cornell (to negotiate with GULC).
Just curious though, what are you referring to when you say 'my program'?


She actually means a Law School Twerk Team...don't let her fool you



I almost typed your government. That's how shocked I was at this statement.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 pm

applelover wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
okaygo wrote:
applelover wrote:No, I would consider attending any school with my program over HYS if it offers me the right amount of $$$. I just visited CLS and didn't feel like it would be the right fit for me. But the only reason I'm holding out is because if I'm admitted and if I receive money, I want to use that to negotiate with NYU.


Gotcha. That's the only reason I really applied to Cornell (to negotiate with GULC).
Just curious though, what are you referring to when you say 'my program'?


She actually means a Law School Twerk Team...don't let her fool you



I almost typed your government. That's how shocked I was at this statement.


Good. My work here is done

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby applelover » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
applelover wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
She actually means a Law School Twerk Team...don't let her fool you



I almost typed your government. That's how shocked I was at this statement.


Good. My work here is done


I chuckled.

User avatar
W$RKliveWELL
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Just got the SEO interview request. I have a question tho I have NY as my primary but may want to switch the order of my 2nd and 3rd option. Should I send an email notifying them of the change in advance or just tell them the day of the interview? Thanks in advance and congrats to everyone else who received a request so far. Scanning through a 160 pages of info is killing me though :roll:

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:Just got the SEO interview request. I have a question tho I have NY as my primary but may want to switch the order of my 2nd and 3rd option. Should I send an email notifying them of the change in advance or just tell them the day of the interview? Thanks in advance and congrats to everyone else who received a request so far. Scanning through a 160 pages of info is killing me though :roll:


I would advise you bring this up in your interview, presented as a question for the interviewers (Example: "in the event I was provided an offer to join the program but my preference of location has changed since I applied, how soon would I have to relay such change in preference?"...or something along those lines).

Good luck to you and everyone else with an interview request from SEO. It's my dream internship.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:01 pm

..
Last edited by okaygo on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 pm

kenwash wrote:Is SEO valuable for someone who wants to go into patent law? I've been assuming that since it's not as common as other areas, the SEO opportunities would be limited.


Yes, patent law is IP law which I believe is all transactional law/corporate for the most part, unless you're interested in patent litigation and patent infringement.

Either way, SEO exposes it's scholars to both corporate and litigation lawyers working in BIGLAW, many of whom work as IP lawyers.

SEO is all about the networking....and you're getting paid to do it. It's a program most would die to be in.

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:07 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:Is SEO valuable for someone who wants to go into patent law? I've been assuming that since it's not as common as other areas, the SEO opportunities would be limited.


Yes, patent law is IP law which I believe is all transactional law/corporate for the most part, unless you're interested in patent litigation and patent infringement.

Either way, SEO exposes it's scholars to both corporate and litigation lawyers working in BIGLAW, many of whom work as IP lawyers.

SEO is all about the networking....and you're getting paid to do it. It's a program most would die to be in.


I was kind of wondering the same thing. Because I want to do Soft IP (Copyrights, Trademarks, and Antitrust.) I also feel like I should of applied to GW since they have a good IP Program.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:Is SEO valuable for someone who wants to go into patent law? I've been assuming that since it's not as common as other areas, the SEO opportunities would be limited.


Yes, patent law is IP law which I believe is all transactional law/corporate for the most part, unless you're interested in patent litigation and patent infringement.

Either way, SEO exposes it's scholars to both corporate and litigation lawyers working in BIGLAW, many of whom work as IP lawyers.

SEO is all about the networking....and you're getting paid to do it. It's a program most would die to be in.


I was kind of wondering the same thing. Because I want to do Soft IP (Copyrights, Trademarks, and Antitrust.) I also feel like I should of applied to GW since they have a good IP Program.



Should of? It's not too late.

User avatar
AAJD2B
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Okaygo, you may be at a disadvantage with your app going complete by the end of this month, but it's worth a shot for Columbia. :mrgreen:

User avatar
ThePiedPiper
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ThePiedPiper » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:28 pm

okaygo wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:Is SEO valuable for someone who wants to go into patent law? I've been assuming that since it's not as common as other areas, the SEO opportunities would be limited.


Yes, patent law is IP law which I believe is all transactional law/corporate for the most part, unless you're interested in patent litigation and patent infringement.

Either way, SEO exposes it's scholars to both corporate and litigation lawyers working in BIGLAW, many of whom work as IP lawyers.

SEO is all about the networking....and you're getting paid to do it. It's a program most would die to be in.


I was kind of wondering the same thing. Because I want to do Soft IP (Copyrights, Trademarks, and Antitrust.) I also feel like I should of applied to GW since they have a good IP Program.



Should of? It's not too late.


Well this is good to know. Thank you for telling me. For some odd reason I always felt that applying in January was late. But I will send an app out by the end of the week.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:Well this is good to know. Thank you for telling me. For some odd reason I always felt that applying in January was late. But I will send an app out by the end of the week.


Yeah. So do I. But whatever. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote: Well this is good to know. Thank you for telling me. For some odd reason I always felt that applying in January was late. But I will send an app out by the end of the week.


Not for URMs, according to TLS at least.

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby blackbirdfly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 pm

edit - said friend might read tls... :oops:
Last edited by blackbirdfly on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JodieLovesChachi
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:My friend just submitted his applications today and just realized a typo. Should he send his schools a corrected copy, or just let it be? I told him to let it be, but I'm second guessing my advice. I figured it would just draw attention to it.

Meanwhile, I hope to submit by the end of the week. I really wished I applied earlier.


Depends. How big of a typo was it?

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby blackbirdfly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 am

edit - said friend might read tls...
Last edited by blackbirdfly on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JodieLovesChachi
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 am

blackbirdfly wrote:
JodieLovesChachi wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:My friend just submitted his applications today and just realized a typo. Should he send his schools a corrected copy, or just let it be? I told him to let it be, but I'm second guessing my advice. I figured it would just draw attention to it.

Meanwhile, I hope to submit by the end of the week. I really wished I applied earlier.


Depends. How big of a typo was it?


In one sentence he wrote "though" instead of "through"


If it were me, I would have to weigh the benefits of correcting the error against burdening the adcoms with more documents to sift through. Sounds like you gave him the right advice.

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 am

Finally received a fee waiver from Vandy!!!! Sheesh, took them long enough

User avatar
BobMoses
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BobMoses » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:08 pm

In at UT via phone call w/ full tuition

User avatar
August Wilson
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby August Wilson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 pm

BobMoses wrote:In at UT via phone call w/ full tuition


$wag!!

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 pm

BobMoses wrote:In at UT via phone call w/ full tuition

Image

YAY!

User avatar
DPhoenix
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby DPhoenix » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 pm

BobMoses wrote:In at UT via phone call w/ full tuition


Congrats. That makes two of us.

User avatar
BobMoses
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby BobMoses » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks August & Mandy! Great gif too

User avatar
JodieLovesChachi
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 pm

DPhoenix wrote:
BobMoses wrote:In at UT via phone call w/ full tuition


Congrats. That makes two of us.


LET's GO!!! Congrats yall!

PM me if any of y'all have questions about UT-Austin




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest