URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ThePiedPiper

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 pm

alloverthat wrote:Hey - would love some advice from you all.

So I just got my December score back, and it was 167 - about 6 points below my PT average. I am planning on retaking in February but was wondering if there's any point in sending in my applications now? I'm an AA female with an undergraduate degree from Oxford (probably 'above average', but I haven't had LSAC do it's thing with my transcript yet). I'm looking especially at Columbia and NYU. Planning on applying to Harvard post retake since they've elongated their application time.

I say go for it and apply anyway. You earned you degree from a well established University. You also have good LSAT Score. I always say shoot for the moon. The worst a school can say is no. So just go for it and see where your stars align. Also, I think Harvard only extended their deadline for first time LSAT takers. I maybe wrong. But someone ITT will correct me if I am. Lastly, I am never one to tell someone to retake because ultimately it is that individuals decision and personal circumstances. However, if you feel you can do better I say again shoot for the moon and go for that 170+. Good Luck I hope you get the school of your dreams.

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:

So I just got my December score back, and it was 167 - about 6 points below my PT average. I am planning on retaking in February but was wondering if there's any point in sending in my applications now? I'm an AA female with an undergraduate degree from Oxford (probably 'above average', but I haven't had LSAC do it's thing with my transcript yet). I'm looking especially at Columbia and NYU. Planning on applying to Harvard post retake since they've elongated their application time.

I say go for it and apply anyway. You earned you degree from a well established University. You also have good LSAT Score. I always say shoot for the moon. The worst a school can say is no. So just go for it and see where your stars align. Also, I think Harvard only extended their deadline for first time LSAT takers. I maybe wrong. But someone ITT will correct me if I am. Lastly, I am never one to tell someone to retake because ultimately it is that individuals decision and personal circumstances. However, if you feel you can do better I say again shoot for the moon and go for that 170+. Good Luck I hope you get the school of your dreams.

Here's the exact wording from the e-mail that I received:

"Last weekend, storms across the country impacted many LSAT centers and caused numerous test cancellations. Through the LSAC Candidate Referral Service, I know you were scheduled to take the December LSAT and I realize your plans may have been derailed by these cancellations. We have heard from many candidates who have been impacted and we are taking steps to make things easier on those who have been affected. First, while HLS does not normally allow first-time February LSAT scores in the admissions process, we will accept the February 2014 administration this year. Second, since we will be accepting the February LSAT we are also extending the application deadline from February 1, 2014 to March 1, 2014."

The last sentence sounds as if they've extended the deadline for everyone.

AOT

Postby AOT » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:32 pm

ThePiedPiper wrote:

I definitely feel I can do better. I never once scored below a 170 in any of my PT's, which is what made this quite so depressing - especially with the massively lenient curve! I'm retaking no matter what.

I guess my decision is between - apply now and hope a better score gets me off some waiting lists, or just wait a year?

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:21 pm

alloverthat wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:

I definitely feel I can do better. I never once scored below a 170 in any of my PT's, which is what made this quite so depressing - especially with the massively lenient curve! I'm retaking no matter what.

I guess my decision is between - apply now and hope a better score gets me off some waiting lists, or just wait a year?

If you are on the fence about applying, why not just apply to schools you know you would attend and focus on getting scholarship? Send in some apps now to maybe T10 on down and wait for February to decide whether to try for the rest?

Depending on if I had a 3.5+ GPA, I would just apply for everything now and see what happens. My boy got on the Harvard waitlist last year with a 3.75/160 (no study, just walked in and took it). Could have gotten in if he would have been patient (he would have been one of the last souls accepted in July or Something), but he took a full ride elsewhere (T25-T14 Range). So I would just apply.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm really considering not applying to Berkeley to save $100 :oops: . Am I going to regret this?

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:I'm really considering not applying to Berkeley to save $100 :oops: . Am I going to regret this?

Their app fee is $100? Well now I'm questioning whether or not to apply their as well. I sent them an e-mail yesterday in regards to a waiver and they told me that they're need based only and determined by whether or not you get an LSAC fee waiver. This makes things more difficult.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:I'm really considering not applying to Berkeley to save $100 :oops: . Am I going to regret this?

Their app fee is $100? Well now I'm questioning whether or not to apply their as well. I sent them an e-mail yesterday in regards to a waiver and they told me that they're need based only and determined by whether or not you get an LSAC fee waiver. This makes things more difficult.

Yeah, I had this same dillemma. Stanford's need based wasnt that difficult to complete, but man Harvard wanted all kinds of documents and UTexas wanted me to take the form to a notary. It's really outrageous

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 pm

someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you can get an advance on financial aid to pay your deposit (Mandy or AAJDB may have said it), anyone else ever hear of that?

Jw, I'm gonna be broke as hell until summer.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Mojosodope wrote:someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you can get an advance on financial aid to pay your deposit (Mandy or AAJDB may have said it), anyone else ever hear of that?

I didnt say it... but I would be interested in this as well because I have been trying to google average seat deposits and i won't have the kind of money in time lol

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Hopefully we'll all get Harvard so we don't have to worry about it :D

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:44 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:Hopefully we'll all get Harvard so we don't have to worry about it :D

They dont have a seat deposit ?!?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:44 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Man there are some significant downsides to the K-JD path.
1) I'm going to be incredibly broke this summer,
2) and as such, I may have to live at parents home for 3 months prior to 1L which would be awful
3) I can't figure out where I'm going to get the many for seat deposit/security deposit/first months rent

1. SEO might help that
2. you can save money this way... but honestly I broke my bank to live elsewhere, try a cheap summer sublet. I'm sure you can get a deal from a desperate sublet-er last minute.
3. Financial aid at whatever school you get into might be able to help you with this. I know of some students who have gotten financial aid dispensed early on to help with these costs.

You def. did say it haha

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:Hopefully we'll all get Harvard so we don't have to worry about it :D

Yeah they do, only Berkeley doesn't

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Mojosodope wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Man there are some significant downsides to the K-JD path.
1) I'm going to be incredibly broke this summer,
2) and as such, I may have to live at parents home for 3 months prior to 1L which would be awful
3) I can't figure out where I'm going to get the many for seat deposit/security deposit/first months rent

1. SEO might help that
2. you can save money this way... but honestly I broke my bank to live elsewhere, try a cheap summer sublet. I'm sure you can get a deal from a desperate sublet-er last minute.
3. Financial aid at whatever school you get into might be able to help you with this. I know of some students who have gotten financial aid dispensed early on to help with these costs.

You def. did say it haha

oh shizzzz yes... I know it happened, but I dont know exactly how. Monday I will do some investigating. Why am I so crazy!?! ahhaahah

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:

I hope so, if this article is correct. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/ ... s-deposit/

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:50 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

I hope so, if this article is correct. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/ ... s-deposit/

That looks legit to me ! Thanks for sharing!

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:51 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
blackbirdfly wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

That looks legit to me ! Thanks for sharing!

It is. Admissions has relayed that to me more than once recently.

ThePiedPiper

Postby ThePiedPiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:55 pm

The good thing about Berkeley is if you can get an acceptance from them they don't require a seat deposit. Which I believe they are the only T14 to have this policy.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

never thought I'd see the day when a white male feels like something isnt fair

Anonymous User wrote:True. I only ask because like I said 90% of the positions on my law school's postings are diversity only. I understand advancing the rights of URMs and support the cause, however it doesn't seem fair or just that the majority is left to compete for the other 10%.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=222400

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:23 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:never thought I'd see the day when a white male feels like something isnt fair

Anonymous User wrote:True. I only ask because like I said 90% of the positions on my law school's postings are diversity only. I understand advancing the rights of URMs and support the cause, however it doesn't seem fair or just that the majority is left to compete for the other 10%.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Mojosodope wrote:someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you can get an advance on financial aid to pay your deposit (Mandy or AAJDB may have said it), anyone else ever hear of that?

This is one problem I will not have to deal with. Thanks to fellowships, I have money for summer.

I would like to move to wherever I will attend school early, but that would be foolish since the COL at my current uni is dirt cheap.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:51 pm

BankruptMe wrote:

This is one problem I will not have to deal with. Thanks to fellowships, I have money for summer.

I would like to move to wherever I will attend school early, but that would be foolish since the COL at my current uni is dirt cheap.

You misunderstand. I will have money in the summer, but no money until then if I have to drop deposit money in a couple months.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:50 pm

[Redacted]
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:never thought I'd see the day when a white male feels like something isnt fair

ktatl14

Postby ktatl14 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:30 am

I reflected earlier, and was interested in what people on here though about this. Disclaimer: this doesn't represent what I believe, necessarily, but it's purpose is to spark discussion.

The times I lurk on this forum, all I hear is the talk about HYS and other t-14's. In fact, it is all I hear from most law school hopefuls. While there is no doubt our passion to attend t-14 schools are no different from our non-URM counterparts (job prospects), our job outlook is similar to the boost that we receive in law school admission. It appears that we, including myself, pursue t-14's because saying "I went to Harvard Law" creates the illusion that we are "better than" others, particularly people in our community. We are willing to take on $200,000 in debt to feed that illusion. What happened to Howard? Though we can still act as the talented tenth in whatever school we attend, why is Howard's median LSAT a 153? The jobs prospects are nearly the same as a t-14 schools. I know some will argue about the quality of education compared to Yale or Stanford, but, would you agree that the quality of the school is determined by the quality of the student body and alum?

Note, I haven't applied to Howard, nor am I saying that we should lower our standards to attend a school like Howard, but I'm asking, why would we consider a school like Howard to be of "lower standard?" just curious :shock: :roll:

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”