URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
ThePiedPiper

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby ThePiedPiper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 pm

boiboi wrote:Checking in. Uchicago interview invite today.

Welcome and Good Luck on the interview!!!

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:04 am

Good luck! Let us know how it goes..

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 am

There are so many URMs with high LSAT scores this cycle! Either TLS is the world's most unrepresentative sample or more high-scoring URMs are reporting their number than in previous cycles. It's exciting.

Slash it scares the shit out of me. I'm all for other people doing well (go people of color!), but please don't take my spot. Thanks! Thinking HYS are going to be hard for me to sell this year!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:15 am

Complete at USC, UR2 at NYU.

I wish Columbia, Cornell and Chicago would finally consider me complete! I guess the snow really did slow things down some.

applelover

Postby applelover » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:41 am

ThePiedPiper wrote:

Welcome and Good Luck on the interview!!!

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:09 am

teampeeta wrote:There are so many URMs with high LSAT scores this cycle! Either TLS is the world's most unrepresentative sample or more high-scoring URMs are reporting their number than in previous cycles. It's exciting.

Slash it scares the shit out of me. I'm all for other people doing well (go people of color!), but please don't take my spot. Thanks! Thinking HYS are going to be hard for me to sell this year!

A win for one URM is a win for all URMs. I would say that TLS is unrepresentative of the overall body of URMs who are applying (it is called top law schools for a reason, after all), but I'm all for high scoring minorities. The current statistics are just downright depressing.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:14 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
teampeeta wrote:There are so many URMs with high LSAT scores this cycle! Either TLS is the world's most unrepresentative sample or more high-scoring URMs are reporting their number than in previous cycles. It's exciting.

A win for one URM is a win for all URMs. I would say that TLS is unrepresentative of the overall body of URMs who are applying (it is called top law schools for a reason, after all), but I'm all for high scoring minorities. The current statistics are just downright depressing.

This, seriously. Also peeta, don't you have like a 173 or something? I don't think anyone is "taking your spot" there is room in the t-14 for all of us.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:16 am

AAJD2B wrote:Complete at USC, UR2 at NYU.

I wish Columbia, Cornell and Chicago would finally consider me complete! I guess the snow really did slow things down some.

Yeah, Cornell is crazy. We so know they are doing something in Ithica because they accepted some peeps in here but geesh. All this time verifying materials makes me think they are calling all my professors to make sure I took the classes on my transcript. Lol

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:21 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Complete at USC, UR2 at NYU.

Yeah, Cornell is crazy. We so know they are doing something in Ithica because they accepted some peeps in here but geesh. All this time verifying materials makes me think they are calling all my professors to make sure I took the classes on my transcript. Lol

LOL, yes!

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

This, seriously. Also peeta, don't you have like a 173 or something? I don't think anyone is "taking your spot" there is room in the t-14 for all of us.

I am rooting for URMs! I want us all to succeed! I definitely didn't mean to imply anything different and I apologize to anyone whom I offended with my comments. I just don't want to be the only AA with a 170+ score who doesn't get into HYS this cycle. There is something to be said for the fact that, statistically speaking, my odds (or the odds of any high-scoring URM) go down the more of us there are even though the fact that there are more of us is a GREAT thing for everyone. Despite my neurotic state, that's all I was trying to articulate.

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:48 am

teampeeta wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I am rooting for URMs! I want us all to succeed! I definitely didn't mean to imply anything different and I apologize to anyone whom I offended with my comments. I just don't want to be the only AA with a 170+ score who doesn't get into HYS this cycle. There is something to be said for the fact that, statistically speaking, my odds (or the odds of any high-scoring URM) go down the more of us there are even though the fact that there are more of us is a GREAT thing for everyone. Despite my neurotic state, that's all I was trying to articulate.

No need for apologies. I'm sorry if it seemed as though I was coming off in an accusatory tone. I just wanted to make that statement in case there was anyone who believed there could possibly be any negatives associated with URMs scoring higher than usual.

Also, I'm sure your 173 will secure at least one, if not all, of HYS. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, especially considering the large drop in apps that is expected for this cycle. I'm still a bit on the fence about my chances, but at this point, I'm really just anxious to move on with my life and actually start law school. The real world has not been kind to me thus far.

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59 am

teampeeta wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I feel you. I definitely felt the same way after finally signing on here and seeing all the mid to high 160s and 170+ scores. Glad I didn't slack on my apps though. I was feeling myself a lil bit.

That being said, pretty sure a lot of URM's who scored well on the LSAT are perusing the internet and websites like this to dream about chances at HYS and the rest of the Top 14. Hopefully this will mean greater diversity in the top schools. Leh go!

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

PS, a 173 is in the stratosphere, URM or not. Lol. I second Mandyjay. :wink:

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Hmmm received a fee waiver from Emory. I was under the impression that they were not giving many if any out.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:09 pm

toshiroh wrote:Hmmm received a fee waiver from Emory. I was under the impression that they were not giving many if any out.

Will you apply?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:12 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Hmmm received a fee waiver from Emory. I was under the impression that they were not giving many if any out.

Will you apply?

Yeah it's actually my top choice after Northwestern and Cornell. Even if I got accepted to NYU, Columbia etc... I think the money will be the biggest issue for me. Plus I have crazy ties to the south and Atlanta in general, so I wouldn't mind ending up there.

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:13 pm

--LinkRemoved--

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Side note: I am usually good with words but this Yale 250 is causing me writer's block. I want to draw on one or two aspects of my life that I didn't touch on in my PS and DS but to convey that message in 250 is tough. I decided to use a personal anecdote for my essay. I hope to iron this out by this weekend.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:16 pm

toshiroh wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Will you apply?

Yeah it's actually my top choice after Northwestern and Cornell. Even if I got accepted to NYU, Columbia etc... I think the money will be the biggest issue for me. Plus I have crazy ties to the south and Atlanta in general, so I wouldn't mind ending up there.

Then you should apply to Vandy and Duke as well. NU places better in Cali, NYC and Chicago. Cornell is heavily NYC.

JodieLovesChachi

Postby JodieLovesChachi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Side note: I am usually good with words but this Yale 250 is causing me writer's block. I want to draw on one or two aspects of my life that I didn't touch on in my PS and DS but to convey that message in 250 is tough. I decided to use a personal anecdote for my essay. I hope to iron this out by this weekend.

I've teetered on applying/not applying because of this 250 word essay and the ease with which they deny applicants. Literally decided not to, twice, and to another two times. Still working on the essay now.. What're your thoughts on applying?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Will you apply?

Then you should apply to Vandy and Duke as well. NU places better in Cali, NYC and Chicago. Cornell is heavily NYC.

Yep, I'm applying to those two as well. Waiting for Duke to write me back about this Fee Waiver.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:31 pm

JodieLovesChachi wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Side note: I am usually good with words but this Yale 250 is causing me writer's block. I want to draw on one or two aspects of my life that I didn't touch on in my PS and DS but to convey that message in 250 is tough. I decided to use a personal anecdote for my essay. I hope to iron this out by this weekend.

I've teetered on applying/not applying because of this 250 word essay and the ease with which they deny applicants. Literally decided not to, twice, and to another two times. Still working on the essay now.. What're your thoughts on applying?

I say it's worth a shot. Conventional TLS wisdom would say not to apply given numbers or low percentage of acceptances but you just never know. It's never just about numbers for Yale, anyway. A few cycles ago a black male got into Yale with a 3.7/155. No Ivy undergrad, just a story that apparently was loved by Yale and Harvard. He may be the exception but I refuse to not apply because statistics say I have a 0-1% chance.

Like my buddy said it's like asking the prettiest girl in the room to dance. She could say no, she could say yes, but at least you showed her and others you tried.

Best wishes in whatever your decision.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Toshiroh, I can't quote but great! Blanket that T14. I hope you get your waivers. :)

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:35 pm

teampeeta wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

:D I have a feeling you will be perfectly fine.

AOT

Postby AOT » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Hey - would love some advice from you all.

So I just got my December score back, and it was 167 - about 6 points below my PT average. I am planning on retaking in February but was wondering if there's any point in sending in my applications now? I'm an AA female with an undergraduate degree from Oxford (probably 'above average', but I haven't had LSAC do it's thing with my transcript yet). I'm looking especially at Columbia and NYU. Planning on applying to Harvard post retake since they've elongated their application time.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”