URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jrsbaseball5

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:02 am

Hey everyone! MA here prepping for the October LSAT.

Look forward to going through this cycle with everyone!

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Applying this upcoming cycle as well. Good luck, everyone! Sending good vibes your way! :D

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 am

Anyone going to CLEO A.S.A.P. this summer? I can't wait to attend! I am super stoked for this admissions cycle. :mrgreen:

Back to studying.....

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 am

Checking in. Hoping to net 165+ on the October LSAT with my above most median GPA.

Anyone thinking of ED'ing?

Delson

Postby Delson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Officially checking in. Long time lurker, first time poster. 3.8 GPA, Afro-Dominican/American. Will take the LSAT for the first time in October.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 am

0913djp wrote:Checking in. Hoping to net 165+ on the October LSAT with my above most median GPA.

The following might help you make a decision. However, I think the general TLS consensus is that ED doesn't benefit URMs that much.

elterrible78 wrote:Copied from a similar thread:

Based on my analysis of LSN data (just for URM applicants to the top-14, so data is kind of limited...take this for what it's worth).

In terms of being admitted to a school rather than rejected (leaving out waitlisted candidates whose ultimate fate is not known), controlling for LSAT score, GPA, gender, and non-trad status (as well as ED and earlier applications). The number for ED is the increase in likelihood of being accepted applying ED vs. RD. The number for applying earlier is the increase in the likelihood of being accepted for each earlier month you apply (Sep vs. Oct, Oct vs. Nov, etc.):

Columbia: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - no impact

Chicago: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 99%

NYU: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 32%

Penn: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 110%

Virginia: ED - 740% (yep, that is seven hundred and forty percent)
Applying earlier - 24%

Michigan: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 46%

Duke: ED - no impact (it's close to statistical significance, but not close enough)

Northwestern: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 45%

Georgetown: ED - no impact

gurlja18

Postby gurlja18 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 am

Checking in. Prepping for October retake :(

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 am

Long time lerker here, retaking October for the 3rd time and applying this cycle for sure. :D

smokenmirrors

Postby smokenmirrors » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Hello everyone just checking, first post and longtime lurker. AA Male 3.0/lsat in Oct. Worked for two years after ug. Looking to apply this Oct, depending on score. Good Luck!

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Welcome, lurkers.

Good luck everyone!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:44 pm

0913djp wrote:Anyone thinking of ED'ing?

No, not at all, nor is it advised. The unpredictable nature of our cycles dictates such.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I'll be EDing to NYU. Expecting it to fall through, so then next up is Penn and then GULC. Hoping to pick up H, S or B on the off chance NYU drops me/I drop them before getting an acceptance.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 pm

There should be 100% crossover between this thread and whatever SEO 13-14 applicants thread pops up. If you want BigLaw as a URM and don't apply, you're an idiot. It's pre 0L money, you meet incredible people, get exposure to the people who you want to know when looking for a job, and you almost always leave with either 1L SA, or an auto callback (i.e. guaranteed job) for 2L SA. Seriously, OP should add the SEO Law program site to the first post.

I didn't know about it until it was almost too late, which is why I'm dropping it here now. --LinkRemoved--

smokenmirrors

Postby smokenmirrors » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 pm

txdude45 wrote:There should be 100% crossover between this thread and whatever SEO 13-14 applicants thread pops up. If you want BigLaw as a URM and don't apply, you're an idiot. It's pre 0L money, you meet incredible people, get exposure to the people who you want to know when looking for a job, and you almost always leave with either 1L SA, or an auto callback (i.e. guaranteed job) for 2L SA. Seriously, OP should add the SEO Law program site to the first post.

I didn't know about it until it was almost too late, which is why I'm dropping it here now. --LinkRemoved--

True, I've actually been working at a large law firm for two years and recently found out about SEO. As a minority who wants to practice BigLaw it's very important.

Are you an SEO alum?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 pm

smokenmirrors wrote:
txdude45 wrote:There should be 100% crossover between this thread and whatever SEO 13-14 applicants thread pops up.

True, I've actually been working at a large law firm for two years and recently found out about SEO. As a minority who wants to practice BigLaw it's very important.

Are you an SEO alum?

Currently in the program.

smokenmirrors

Postby smokenmirrors » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:34 pm

txdude45 wrote:
smokenmirrors wrote:
txdude45 wrote:There should be 100% crossover between this thread and whatever SEO 13-14 applicants thread pops up.

Are you an SEO alum?

Congrats for you. Enjoying? Would you mind mentioning some tips/advice on getting selected.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:07 am

smokenmirrors wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
smokenmirrors wrote:

Are you an SEO alum?

Congrats for you. Enjoying? Would you mind mentioning some tips/advice on getting selected.

Make sure you report the school you'll be attending as soon as possible. Not doing so definitely screwed over a few of the people I knew.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:28 pm

txdude45 wrote:There should be 100% crossover between this thread and whatever SEO 13-14 applicants thread pops up. If you want BigLaw as a URM and don't apply, you're an idiot. It's pre 0L money, you meet incredible people, get exposure to the people who you want to know when looking for a job, and you almost always leave with either 1L SA, or an auto callback (i.e. guaranteed job) for 2L SA. Seriously, OP should add the SEO Law program site to the first post.

Would you recommend that those of us who are currently working full-time in "non-legal" jobs pursue SEO?
I work in banking/finance and am on the fence about whether or not I should apply.

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:42 pm

femmefatale wrote:

Would you recommend that those of us who are currently working full-time in "non-legal" jobs pursue SEO?
I work in banking/finance and am on the fence about whether or not I should apply.

Yes, definitely! I am a K-JD and had no experience in the legal field whatsoever. I was actually working on a social science project for my University. And I got in! It's definitely worth it to shoot off an application. Just have a reason for why you want corporate law and go from there!

ETA: Also, a banking/finance background can be very helpful in biglaw. I don't think it should hurt you at all.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm

femmefatale wrote:

I can see why you may want to stay on at your full-time job a few months longer, but I don't think it's the right move if you get SEO. At some point in your law school career, if BigLaw is even a sparkle in your eye, you'll need to do SA. SEO gets you pre-1L exposure and all but locks you into SA if that's the route you want to go. 3 more months off the old job is small fries compared to setting yourself up for your next job.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
0913djp wrote:Checking in. Hoping to net 165+ on the October LSAT with my above most median GPA.

The following might help you make a decision. However, I think the general TLS consensus is that ED doesn't benefit URMs that much.

elterrible78 wrote:Copied from a similar thread:

Based on my analysis of LSN data (just for URM applicants to the top-14, so data is kind of limited...take this for what it's worth).

In terms of being admitted to a school rather than rejected (leaving out waitlisted candidates whose ultimate fate is not known), controlling for LSAT score, GPA, gender, and non-trad status (as well as ED and earlier applications). The number for ED is the increase in likelihood of being accepted applying ED vs. RD. The number for applying earlier is the increase in the likelihood of being accepted for each earlier month you apply (Sep vs. Oct, Oct vs. Nov, etc.):

Columbia: ED - no impact

Chicago: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 99%

NYU: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 32%

Penn: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 110%

Virginia: ED - 740% (yep, that is seven hundred and forty percent)
Applying earlier - 24%

Michigan: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 46%

Duke: ED - no impact (it's close to statistical significance, but not close enough)

Northwestern: ED - no impact
Applying earlier - 45%

Georgetown: ED - no impact

That was my post, and I did the numbers crunching. There's not enough data to do something similar for URMs, but if you guys are interested in seeing the raw data, mean numbers, etc. for URMs for any specific schools, just let me know, I'm happy to oblige.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Thank you very much for posting this! I try to keep as up to date on URM stuff as possible, but I have only heard a little bit about SEO.

Do you mind sharing a little bit about how you got the internship, what it's like and anything else you think would be pertinent to know? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to learn a bit more.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:43 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:

Thank you very much for posting this! I try to keep as up to date on URM stuff as possible, but I have only heard a little bit about SEO.

Do you mind sharing a little bit about how you got the internship, what it's like and anything else you think would be pertinent to know? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to learn a bit more.

First of all, thank you again for posting this link, looks like a really great program. For someone who has a preference to try and work in the midwest (Either Chicago or a secondary market like Minneapolis), would you still recommend this program? It looks like their internships are all on the coasts and TX. While it would probably offer some great hands on experience, I am curious if that would really help in obtaining an SA in the midwest at all.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
txdude45 wrote:http://www.seocareer.org/our-programs/law

Its a pretty standard app. You basically submit the same stuff you sent to law schoolS. They don't even have you change the LoR to be SEO specific. During the app process there will be little communication from the people running it because they're stretched so thin, but interviews seem to be rolling. People with better numbers tend to get interviewed faster. I applied in November, but didn't get an interview until I got my first T14 acceptance. Maybe it was a coincidence, but who knows.

Interview numbers can range from 1-3. It all depends on who interviews you b/c everyone interviews with the head of the program. I had her for my initial interview, so that was it for me.

The internship itself is fairly laid back. You get real work to do, but the summer has felt like it was more about meeting people and networking. I've certainly had days where I was up to my eyeballs in stuff, which was probably much easier than I was making it, but that's not the general case. As long as you show that your a good person to have around, are interested in doing that kind of work, and do well in your first year you'll get asked back (1L SA, or 2L SA depends on the firm).

Along with working, you get to go to these networking receptions, which consist of a panel of partners (some exceptions) speaking/taking questions on a particular topic and then a networking event right afterwards. This helps you meet attorneys from other firms and hob nob.

mojangles wrote:First of all, thank you again for posting this link, looks like a really great program. For someone who has a preference to try and work in the midwest (Either Chicago or a secondary market like Minneapolis), would you still recommend this program? It looks like their internships are all on the coasts and TX. While it would probably offer some great hands on experience, I am curious if that would really help in obtaining an SA in the midwest at all.

Would definitely recommend it. You don't have much say over what firm you go to, but if you ended up at Kirkland/Ellis, it would obviously be easy to jump from SEO NYC to SA Chicago. Even outside of a situation like that, you'll be applying for SAs with a full summer of experience working in BigLaw. That's a huge advantage over everyone else. You'll also have 90 other SEO people who can tell you what different firms are like and contacts with associates and partners at various firms who can potentially put a word in for you. Don't let SEO's geography deter you. Your objective shouldn't necessarily be placement in the precise city you want to work in, but to get your foot in the door. That's the hard part. I know plenty of people who want to be in the Midwest and the program will only help them to that end.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:35 am

clouded.memory wrote:Yes, definitely! I am a K-JD and had no experience in the legal field whatsoever. I was actually working on a social science project for my University. And I got in! It's definitely worth it to shoot off an application. Just have a reason for why you want corporate law and go from there!

Thanks for your help Cloud. I'll give it a shot! I'm amazed that my OCS never mentioned the program.

txdude45 wrote:I can see why you may want to stay on at your full-time job a few months longer, but I don't think it's the right move if you get SEO. At some point in your law school career, if BigLaw is even a sparkle in your eye, you'll need to do SA. SEO gets you pre-1L exposure and all but locks you into SA if that's the route you want to go. 3 more months off the old job is small fries compared to setting yourself up for your next job

Thanks Tx. You make a good point. It would be amazing to be in school and already know that you have an SA lined up. I'll seriously consider this.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”