URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
okaygo

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby okaygo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Third status check date change at GULC. Second since interview.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:31 pm

okaygo wrote:Third status check date change at GULC. Second since interview.

They are probably trying to figure out how to tell you they want to give u a full ride in a way that wont give you a heart attack lol

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Third status check date change at GULC. Second since interview.

They are probably trying to figure out how to tell you they want to give u a full ride in a way that wont give you a heart attack lol

Lol, impossible. I just want a law school to love meeeee!

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Nova wrote:
ThePiedPiper wrote:To make sure you get and emphasize the point. Because obviously somewhere or someone alomg the way forgot to educate you on how to address individuals. NowI am speaking to you because I am not going to give you your 5 seconds of fame.

The delivery was off but i don't think its debatable that John is right
you saying but
I heard you were raised by a single parent. Are you a minority? This is a fair question to ask because some minorities are raised by single parents. Ive even met one.

That's clearly messed up logic

So really quick response before I disappear, I understand what your saying but you cannot consider CONTENT without considering CONTEXT. It was a formal friendly conversation.

Must it be true that someone is a Muslim based on those statement NO, can it be true that someone is a Muslim based on those statements HELL YES!

I want multiple kids
I want multiple kids with multiple women
I want to house those kids with different women in different houses

A question that would of helped me better understand the guy is What is your religion? I am familiar with Islam (went to a Muslim elementary schools, loads of Muslim family members) so I asked a direct question Are you a Muslim?

In a formal conversation it is fair to accuse someone of stereotyping based on the above dialogue but like I said never consider CONTENT without considering CONTEXT. Your going to walk around looking like an angry BLACK person.

I have a meeting in 25 minutes and have to deliver a FS analysis FML :roll:

It was fun interacting with you guys but this straight of of undergrad juvenile BS is not for me.

Side note: the majority of people in this thread are super cool :D Long time lurker heading back into the shadows :wink:

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Sasha, girl, where are you going?

Please return with your fierce self. Don't let a few members get under your skin. 8)

Sasha, you're in the UK right? I know Gamine is, but we are missing her and EvMont. I hope they start posting more, too.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Ok, so Mandy and I are heading to the webinar scheduled in just over an hour. Any other folks representing TLS as well? :D

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 pm

lol Your so sweet, I am not in the UK, I am in the Caribbean.

As much as I would love to be active poster, I have to work. My boss just passed me a business valuation due in 1 week (bear in mind next week is Christmas FML :roll:) so I have to get that done plus study for my February retake.

I will be back soon though :wink:

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:54 pm

This topic just has a lot of "well that escalated quickly" moments. You just gotta roll with the punches. Personally I think the whole lets all hold hands 24/7 thing is super unrealistic. This TLS sub community is a little family, and family doesn't always agree and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

Just my .02

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:56 pm

sashafierce wrote:lol Your so sweet, I am not in the UK, I am in the Caribbean.

As much as I would love to be active poster, I have to work. My boss just passed me a business valuation due in 1 week (bear in mind next week is Christmas FML :roll:) so I have to get that done plus study for my February retake.

and good luck in February, SF!

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Oooo, okay. I am also from the islands. Have you considered attending UWI Cave Hill ? I was contemplating that route a few years ago but didn't think it economically feasible.

Ok, well talk soon and enjoy the weather and food for us please! (I could real eat some buss up shut with channa, pumpkin, stew chicken and mango achar :P :P :P.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

okaygo wrote:This topic just has a lot of "well that escalated quickly" moments. You just gotta roll with the punches. Personally I think the whole lets all hold hands 24/7 thing is super unrealistic. This TLS sub community is a little family, and family doesn't always agree and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

Just my .02

+1000000.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:13 pm

okaygo wrote:This topic just has a lot of "well that escalated quickly" moments. You just gotta roll with the punches. Personally I think the whole lets all hold hands 24/7 thing is super unrealistic. This TLS sub community is a little family, and family doesn't always agree and there's NOTHING wrong with that.

Just my .02

Yea, but people can disagree and not insult each other. That's my problem with the "well that escalated quickly" moments ITT; people result to insults and name calling.

Edit: iPhone autocorrect errors
Last edited by applelover on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:15 pm

applelover wrote:

Just my .02

Yea but people can disagree and not insult each other. That's my probably with the "well that escalated quickly" moments ITT; people result to insults and name calling.

Unfortunate side effects of an online forum. Comes with the territory.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:21 pm

okaygo wrote:
Unfortunate side effects of an online forum. Comes with the territory.

Yes, I realize that now... that's why I keep my distance from this thread now just like I do the lounge. No point in subjecting myself to something I can avoid.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:29 pm

AAJD2B wrote:

Oooo, okay. I am also from the islands. Have you considered attending UWI Cave Hill ? I was contemplating that route a few years ago but didn't think it economically feasible.

Ok, well talk soon and enjoy the weather and food for us please! (I could real eat some buss up shut with channa, pumpkin, stew chicken and mango achar :P :P :P.

Girllll, now you have me interested again...lol based on what you feel like eating, I know exactly where you are from. I am from that place as well....lol ( I am trying to not out my self).

I considered Mona, as I went to UWI for undergrad so it would of been convenient but I feel like I don't want to practice law in the Caribbean plus I have a finance background so corporate law is what I want but the investment/securities market is LAME as hell in the Caribbean. Plus I have a strong network in NYC. I have a superior GPA (as per LSAC) and I am trying to raise my LSAT score to 165+ as I am aiming for Columbia :)

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:32 pm

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and decisions but I will say that If folks don't have thick skin now, they are in for a rude awakening both as a law student and legal professional, especially as a person of color. Bickering and name-calling would be the least of their concerns. Real talk.

Sasha, I will send you a PM. I also went to UWI. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:33 pm

sashafierce wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Girllll, now you have me interested again...lol based on what you feel like eating, I know exactly where you are from. I am from that place as well....lol ( I am trying to not out my self).

I considered Mona, as I went to UWI for undergrad so it would of been convenient but I feel like I don't want to practice law in the Caribbean plus I have a finance background so corporate law is what I want but the investment/securities market is LAME as hell in the Caribbean. Plus I have a strong network in NYC. I have a superior GPA (as per LSAC) and I am trying to raise my LSAT score to 165+ as I am aiming for Columbia :)

Can you guess where I am from? I like peas and rice, johnny cakes, and cruzan rum!

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:18 pm

AAJD2B wrote:At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and decisions but I will say that If folks don't have thick skin now, they are in for a rude awakening both as a law student and legal professional, especially as a person of color. Bickering and name-calling would be the least of their concerns. Real talk.

Sasha, I will send you a PM. I also went to UWI. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have thick skin, but why subject myself to something I don't have to. I don't need internet crap when I have enough going on in my life. But that's just my opinion. Distancing myself from something I don't need doesn't mean I can't handle insults and name calling. It means that id rather spend my days doing more beneficial things with my time.
But like I said that's my opinion.

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:20 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
sashafierce wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:

Can you guess where I am from? I like peas and rice, johnny cakes, and cruzan rum!

Jamaica? Wait no! Virgin Islands?!

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Are midgets a URM?

Where my dwarfs at

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Anyone succesfully applied for the lsac waiver ?

I got it. I'm actually a little pissed though because I paid for my test thinking I wouldn't get it but I did and I can't get a refund. It was surprisingly easy though

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Mojosodope wrote:Are midgets a URM?

Where my dwarfs at

Here! I'm 3'5

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:37 pm

applelover wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

ding ding dingggg !!! VI massive!! :D

applelover

Postby applelover » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:50 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
applelover wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:

ding ding dingggg !!! VI massive!! :D

Johny cakes threw me off ...At first. St. Croix?

Postby 06102016 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”