URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
toshiroh

Re: URM 2013-2014 Cycle Thread

Postby toshiroh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:07 pm

--ImageRemoved--

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:10 pm

toshiroh wrote:http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii125/galxwhoxcrydwolf/GIFS/Peek.gif

lol

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:
And okaygo was mentioning undergrad finals compared to the stress of law school. If you think undergrad finals are stressful or unappealing, than your in for a unpleasant surprise a year from now.

Please, fellow 0L, tell me more about the rigor of law school. I had absolutely no idea that law school will be more demanding than UG. Wow. I was actually under the impression it would be more like high school all over again.

I'm using my 1000th post to say that I'm disappointed at the instigating and bickering in this thread.

I only post in this thread because it is supportive. If it's going to turn into something else, I won't be returning. And people can reply "idc" to this or whatever. That's fine. This is my 1000th post.

I was that bothered by everything I read that I felt the need to post and not pm like I had been. I was saving my 1000th for a JS2 or a Dean Deal call or even a Merry Christmas. People hate on this thread because of the comrodey meanwhile I brag on this thread because of it. I didn't see that that today and it's disappointing.

Futuregohan14

Postby Futuregohan14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:18 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
Maybe it's because people in my family are extremely private, but I learned pretty early that if you have a problem with somebody the only correct response is to talk to them privately about it.

To each their own, dude. I'm sure your solution is cool with you and your family, but I feel more direct paths provide more effective resolutions to certain problems, particularly those that involve more than two individuals.

I just don't need to see people getting into fights--not arguments, which are wonderful and encourage us to think more critically about issues and can result in all kinds of insights and happiness, but fights--over personality issues that could be more painlessly resolved privately. Not too long ago, we had Future and John_rizzy saying they hated each other in public. Where I'm from that shit would not fly. I couldn't even believe it.

He had beef (why, I don't know) and he expressed it openly. I responded in kind. No argument, just mutual dislike expressed in an undramatic manner. It was said, and the thread moved on immediately. No big deal.

Nobody is "throwing down" here. There were just two users who don't like one another expressing that reality absent any actual protracted argument. It happens: you can't be buddies with everybody. This most recent case is even more benign.

californiauser wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:Whoa. Three pages ago, we were at "It's all love ITT." Then I come back from some quick Christmas shopping and wtf is all this? This is not love.

Is having doubts reasonable? Absolutely. I have them 2.7 times a week on average, aggravated by the fact that my prof finally got my LOR in and I submitted all my apps on Friday. :shock: This is three years and a ton of money and an unideal economy and I've never done this before, how can I be certain it's what I want for the rest of my life? So was Mojo's comment off? Yeah, for sure.
Do we all need to gang up on him now? Probably not. I think AAJD had a particularly succinct and effective rebuttal which avoided ad hominem attacks. Let's be inspired by her behavior.

Repeat after me:"It's all love ITT.". We're a community. We can all disagree all of the time if we are so inclined, but lets show some respect and avoid personal attacks, mmkay?

This. Chill everyone.

I merely said what needed saying. That is all.

Having said my piece, I'm cool with the notion of leaving this discussion where it stands and having all of us just move on, but I won't apologize for saying what had to be said.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
Maybe it's because people in my family are extremely private, but I learned pretty early that if you have a problem with somebody the only correct response is to talk to them privately about it.

To each their own, dude. I'm sure your solution is cool with you and your family, but I feel more direct paths provide more effective resolutions to certain problems, particularly those that involve more than two individuals.

I just don't need to see people getting into fights--not arguments, which are wonderful and encourage us to think more critically about issues and can result in all kinds of insights and happiness, but fights--over personality issues that could be more painlessly resolved privately. Not too long ago, we had Future and John_rizzy saying they hated each other in public. Where I'm from that shit would not fly. I couldn't even believe it.

He had beef (why, I don't know) and he expressed it openly. I responded in kind. No argument, just mutual dislike expressed in an undramatic manner. It was said, and the thread moved on immediately. No big deal.

Nobody is "throwing down" here. There were just two users who don't like one another expressing that reality absent any actual protracted argument. It happens: you can't be buddies with everybody. This most recent case is even more benign.

californiauser wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:Whoa. Three pages ago, we were at "It's all love ITT." Then I come back from some quick Christmas shopping and wtf is all this? This is not love.

Is having doubts reasonable? Absolutely. I have them 2.7 times a week on average, aggravated by the fact that my prof finally got my LOR in and I submitted all my apps on Friday. :shock: This is three years and a ton of money and an unideal economy and I've never done this before, how can I be certain it's what I want for the rest of my life? So was Mojo's comment off? Yeah, for sure.
Do we all need to gang up on him now? Probably not. I think AAJD had a particularly succinct and effective rebuttal which avoided ad hominem attacks. Let's be inspired by her behavior.

Repeat after me:"It's all love ITT.". We're a community. We can all disagree all of the time if we are so inclined, but lets show some respect and avoid personal attacks, mmkay?

This. Chill everyone.

I merely said what needed saying. That is all.

Having said my piece, I'm cool with the notion of leaving this discussion where it stands and having all of us just move on, but I won't apologize for saying what had to be said.

You do realize that you belittling him is no better than what you feel he does to you right? Okay.

But in other news I'm glad to see you remembered how to write complete sentences again though :D, you're poems were as hilarious anymore :(

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:46 pm

flowerhair789

Postby flowerhair789 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:50 pm

The way folks support and encourage each other in this thread is what made me want to go from lurker to participant. I don't think the friendliness and camaraderie should be snuffed out by disagreements. Surely, there is a way to move on without harboring resentment.

We probably each have our own way of resolving disputes, so "airing it out in public" or "speaking privately" will not suit everyone.

I think what we need to bring back happiness is movement from admissions'offices and boatloads of acceptances!

In the meantime, does anyone have a good Netflix TV show to recommend? I'm a binge TV watcher (It's still a good use of time; I multitask :mrgreen: ). I can truly say I've watched almost all the good shows! Breaking Bad, The Killing, The Walking Dead (Not watching the current season; World War Z scarred me for life), Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, House of Cards, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Revolution, Continuum...

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 pm

I just wanted to head things off before they escalated any more, Future. When a bunch of people start airing their dislike, things tend to get ugly. To counter your point, I would say that communicating with someone privately is probably the definition of a direct solution. I would not say that the path you took resolved anything. It just made a bigger mess, involving more people and more space. Mojo certainly didn't take it back or vow to change.
I would not ask you to apologize. That's absurd. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their view. However, commenting on his behavior (and in the manner that you did) is not something you were morally, legally, or in any other way compelled to do. Stop saying you "had to" do it or that it "needed" to be done--you didn't and it didn't. Now that it has been done, I agree: let's just move on.

@Marshmallow: Sherlock. DO IT IT'S AMAZING. And the 3rd season is coming out in January!! Also, depending on how geeky you are, they used to have (still might, haven't checked for a while) all the old Star Trek episodes. Also, Dr. Who. I hated Matt Smith with a passion, but some of the other doctors are genius.

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 pm

marshmallow456 wrote:In the meantime, does anyone have a good Netflix TV show to recommend? I'm a binge TV watcher (It's still a good use of time; I multitask :mrgreen: ). I can truly say I've watched almost all the good shows! Breaking Bad, The Killing, The Walking Dead (Not watching the current season; World War Z scarred me for life), Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, House of Cards, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Revolution, Continuum...

Arrested Development, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Scandal, New Girl, The West Wing, Law and Order, Portlandia, 30 Rock. Just to name a few

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Also on a lighter note. What music do people listen to ITT, I need new music and want people's input.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:11 pm

nick1 wrote:Also on a lighter note. What music do people listen to ITT, I need new music and want people's input.

after seeing all the childish gambino and beyonce avatars in this thread, it would probably serve you better to search for music elsewhere. ; )

*starts fire

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm

nick1 wrote:Also on a lighter note. What music do people listen to ITT, I need new music and want people's input.

I love music. I listen to it constantly. A lot of classical, actually. Dvorak is one of my heroes. I will listen to anything except heavy metal (anything heavier than AC/DC). But seriously, country, electronic, hip hop, folk, it's all good. Rock and blues are probably my favorite genres besides classical. If you tell me what kind of music you generally like, maybe I can give you recommendations? But if you just want some input, today I listened to Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti, always a classic), Billie Holiday (who, let me be honest, I worship), Emeli Sande (her voice. it speaks to me), the Crystal Fighters (the first album. so delightful), Gogol Bordello (the new album is not as good as the penultimate), and George Gershwin (the Gershwin Plays Gershwin album on spotify. It is amazing. He is truly one of the greatest pianists to have ever lived). Also a lot of Christmas music, but that's pretty standard. :D

And marshmallow, I really do want to reiterate: SHERLOCK. It is the best BBC show I've ever seen. And I'm addicted to Top Gear, so that should be saying something. :D :D
Last edited by midnight_circus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:

after seeing all the childish gambino and beyonce avatars in this thread, it would probably serve you better to search for music elsewhere. ; )

*starts fire

Lol chill. My favorite music is strip club music. Like future, juicy jay, waka, etc

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire

lmaoooooooooo

shots to the neck

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 pm

californiauser wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire

lmaoooooooooo

shots to the neck

--ImageRemoved--

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire

Lol chill. My favorite music is strip club music. Like future, juicy jay, waka, etc

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9ba0ed373573b663cf9e191fc7e2dc2a/tumblr_mqg8azXdik1qmvlz8o1_1280.jpg

promise it's safe and worth it. :D

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:42 pm

midnight_circus wrote:

I love music. I listen to it constantly. A lot of classical, actually. Dvorak is one of my heroes. I will listen to anything except heavy metal (anything heavier than AC/DC). But seriously, country, electronic, hip hop, folk, it's all good. Rock and blues are probably my favorite genres besides classical. If you tell me what kind of music you generally like, maybe I can give you recommendations? But if you just want some input, today I listened to Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti, always a classic), Billie Holiday (who, let me be honest, I worship), Emeli Sande (her voice. it speaks to me), the Crystal Fighters (the first album. so delightful), Gogol Bordello (the new album is not as good as the penultimate), and George Gershwin (the Gershwin Plays Gershwin album on spotify. It is amazing. He is truly one of the greatest pianists to have ever lived). Also a lot of Christmas music, but that's pretty standard. :D

And marshmallow, I really do want to reiterate: SHERLOCK. It is the best BBC show I've ever seen. And I'm addicted to Top Gear, so that should be saying something. :D :D

Your taste in music is awesome, I wish I had a ear for. I definitely like the old live band type music, but it would never made my day to day playlist. On the R&B side, im more of a Erykah Badu and Jill Scott type. Love the oldies, especially Sade. Underground hip-hop, the mainstream stuff is a bit too much for me. On the jazz front, Miles Davis is a must. I think thats about it.

Percival Jenkins

Postby Percival Jenkins » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:43 pm

August Wilson wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9ba0ed373573b663cf9e191fc7e2dc2a/tumblr_mqg8azXdik1qmvlz8o1_1280.jpg

promise it's safe and worth it. :D

Im sooooooo dissappointed that I know the answer to this question

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 pm

I definitely know the answer.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:I definitely know the answer.

And I am unashamed.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:59 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire

Ratchet.

@marshmallows you should definitely start watching the shows you listed along with The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Suits, and Community. Not all the shows that I listed are on Netflix but I'm sure you can find a way to watch them online.

@nick you should browse some of the other threads in the lounge like the hip hop thread and the what are you listening to right now thread if you want to search for new music. My musical tastes range EDC type music to Classic rock to Top 40 music. So sometimes I'll start my days with some A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, hit the gym with Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Metallica, do cardio while listening Daft Punk, Tiesto, Infected Mushroom then close the day off with some Jay-Z, Tupac, Tyga. I also have some guilty pleasures like Katy Perry, Selena Gomez :oops:. The only stuff I don't touch is country music. What kind of genre(s) are you looking into?

@midnight are you male or female? And when you state you watch Top Gear I'm assuming its the UK version?

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Typhoon24 wrote:

*starts fire

Ratchet.

@marshmallows you should definitely start watching the shows you listed along with The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Suits, and Community. Not all the shows that I listed are on Netflix but I'm sure you can find a way to watch them online.

@nick you should browse some of the other threads in the lounge like the hip hop thread and the what are you listening to right now thread if you want to search for new music. My musical tastes range EDC type music to Classic rock to Top 40 music. So sometimes I'll start my days with some A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, hit the gym with Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Metallica, do cardio while listening Daft Punk, Tiesto, Infected Mushroom then close the day off with some Jay-Z, Tupac, Tyga. I also have some guilty pleasures like Katy Perry, Selena Gomez :oops:. The only stuff I don't touch is country music. What kind of genre(s) are you looking into?

@midnight are you male or female? And when you state you watch Top Gear I'm assuming its the UK version?

I also strongly recommend The wire, GoT, and the sopranos.

Hip hop: old school Jay-Z, Nas, and Biggie. If you're into something more recent check out RA the Rugged Man's new album.

Trip hop/alternative: Gorillaz and Zero 7

Rock/Alternative/Grunge: audioslave, soundgarden, rage against the machine, Coldplay, oasis... pretty much anything from the 90s. Also the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 am

I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Childish Gambino fan. I like some R&B as well. Beyonce's new album isn't half bad. Drunk in Love >>>>>>

I'm an old school hip hop junkie though

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 am

toshiroh wrote:I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Childish Gambino fan. I like some R&B as well. Beyonce's new album isn't half bad. Drunk in Love >>>>>>

What do you think of Gambino's new album? I'm actually enjoying it more than Drake's most recent effort.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 am

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Childish Gambino fan. I like some R&B as well. Beyonce's new album isn't half bad. Drunk in Love >>>>>>

What do you think of Gambino's new album? I'm actually enjoying it more than Drake's most recent effort.

I like it better than Drake's as well, and I actually enjoyed Drake's most recent album, as opposed to his others. Gambino's sound and style is more distinct in my opinion.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”